Thats it, I give up!

MrsElle

Visit site
The horses are in.

I hate to have them in but we have a good few inches of snow this morning and it is still coming down fast.

None of them are horses that run around like loonies so decided they might as well be in eating hay as out eating hay.

I feel bad as it was more for my benefit as I didn't fancy slipping and sliding down to the field and back three times with the horses and again with a big barrow of hay.

I do like snow but thats it, I've had enough!

Geraldine

Visit site
Bob and Prince (his stable buddy) are in as well - for that exact reason.

I will be walking to the farm later. We must have 8+ inches now and still it snows........................
mad.gif

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
If it makes you feel better, ours have been in since Saturday night. The paths to our fields from the yard are concrete, which is great when it rains because they don't turn to mud, however they're currently like an ice rink. It's too dangerous to walk them all down that because they're all shod and are sliding all over the place. Also not worth YO risking breaking something if one of them is silly and pulls her over (quite likely, knowing a couple of them).

So ours are in with plenty of hay, 2 x walker sessions per day to at least stretch their legs. They actually don't mind that much as we're in a big American barn with 25 horses, so plenty of company. I don't like it but it's not forever and a few days in is better than slipping and breaking something, or getting bruised feet on frozen, rutted ground.

Booboos

Visit site
The snow was quite welcome here as we've had ice for three days and I have struggled with turn-out (I managed 1-2 hours in the middle of the day but it was a risk). It snowed overnight and now there is a 'safe' covering of snow so they went out first thing.

The forecast is so bad I am wondering whether I am better off chucking them all out in their summer paddocks for a couple of weeks with plenty of haylage and leaving them to get on with it. Turning them out/bringing in every day and struggling to walk them in hand or lunge them in the school is not getting me anywhere.

Flame_

Visit site
Boo Boos, that's exactly how I feel. My riding horse is stuck in her box, getting an hour or so turnout if and when the ice thaws and its rubbish. There's much more proper snow at work so I've chucked them all out even though they usually live in at night. Getting them to and from the field once the cars have been down the driveway is the hard bit, so they are out and staying there with hay and extra rugs.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Sounds like a plan Booboos. If they're the type that are happy out and are suitably looked after, then why not. Our lot are going to be in for the next two weeks (quarantine at new yard). Had planned on lunging, etc. twice a day, but it looks like that might not be an option. It will be an interesting time....

MrsE - it's a hard one to manage hun!
grin.gif
Hope you're okay.

Booboos

Visit site
The only thing that makes me hesitate is that when it froze here the fields were frozen too. I have never seen anything like it, there was a small covering of snow/water that turned into lethal ice even over the grass. If that happens overnight when they are out they could get seriously injured. Then again, if it keeps snowing it will be a lot safer and I think they will be happier out, so fingers crossed for more snow?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I would just leave them out too if they're happy that way. Mine live out all year round (with constant access to stables as a field shelter) and although I would put them in if they were ill or something, they are never in because of bad weather. They really hate to be inside and I figure if they want to be in, they will be. The paddock area is hard and bumpy, not nice for them to walk on, but the rest of the field is pretty flat and not slippy.

We don't have snow at the moment in the SE but it is freezing cold and snow is forecast. Just planning to give the horses a lot of hay and a good dinner and hope for the best.
smile.gif

somethingorother

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Snow is evil
frown.gif
Ice is even evil-er
mad.gif
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!!

Ours are stuck in, they have been going out for a couple of days at a time, but then the fields are that churned now that when they freeze they're dangerous and one of them has cut their leg on the frozen mud/ice... Can't win
frown.gif

So they're currently in, but if the snow stays i imagine they should be able to go out on the fluffy white stuff for a bit again.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Booboos your fields sound like ours,suspect we are in similar area as we now have a bit of snow. The big field isn't too bad but the paddock where they come for food and hay has been lethal. They have been out 24/7, rugged up, most of the time. To bring them in would mean leading them over an ice rink, scary, and as the water in the stable is frozen solid I doubt they would be much warmer. I am carrying hay and water over to them rather than risk them coming on the dodgy bit, although they did give me heart failure the other day by having a hoon round, idiots!