The ‘Kevin’s’ at 6?

saddlesore

Visit site
My horse has recently decided to start pushing his luck and being a bit of a prat. Pretending to be scared of things one minute then forgetting they are scary the next etc. My question is is 6 too old for the teenage stage or could there be more going on?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Ted The Twit is 6 and is a very large, hairy and sharp 'Kevin' at present.

Nothing wrong with him other than a shortage of work and an excess of enthusiasm.

saddlesore

Visit site
I kind of think it’s probably just winter boredom kicking in tbh. I’ve had him since he was 18 months so I’ve had a few ‘stages’ with him lol but really felt he should’ve outgrown them by now.

monte1

Visit site
strangely enough I have an irish "Clover Hill " horse, he is rising 8 this year and love him to bits but he can be a bit reactive at times- he had a real "Kevin" stage last spring/summertime-
I bought him as very green 5 year old and someone told me that Clover Hill horses can be very slow to mature- am hoping we are over the worst now :)

Alibear

Visit site
My rising 7 year old has gone from the most well behaved adorable creature to severely pushing her luck over the last couple of months, I think 6/7 is the traditional teenage phase isn't it?

saddlesore

Visit site
I was always under the impression that 5 was the traditional age for trouble, but perhaps not. Is it wrong I’m glad that a few of us are dealing with tantrums right now?!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
One of my two rising six year olds chucked a traffic cone at me yesterday. The other one is mid growth spurt and has forgotten where his legs go at canter. It's all very "Jim Henson's Workhop" around here at the moment!

turnbuckle

Visit site
strangely enough I have an irish "Clover Hill " horse, he is rising 8 this year and love him to bits but he can be a bit reactive at times- he had a real "Kevin" stage last spring/summertime-
I bought him as very green 5 year old and someone told me that Clover Hill horses can be very slow to mature- am hoping we are over the worst now :)

Cruisings ditto.

Kevin phase lasted from 6 to 8. At 10, he's just quirky!

wish upon a star

Visit site

Now you tell me! Got a rising 8 Clover Hill mare who I thought was starting to grow up but has gone back to throwing big tantrums. Had her since she was 4, she was really sweet then!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
5 is a lovely age, they are still wondering what it's all about and listening to you. Get to 6 and they know it all ....

That;s my experience too. My angelic 5 year old was a nightmare in Spring just as he turned 6. Full on napping, rearing, spinning and bronccing. But he's being angelic again now.

Visit site
One of my two rising six year olds chucked a traffic cone at me yesterday.

LOL! That would be a hilarious thing to see!

OP, it might just be winter boredom? My mare did an excellent impression of a wind tunnel going past the tarpaulin a few days ago but then the next morning decided to perform an impromptu percussion performance on it with her hoof in protest at breakfast being late. I think she's being spooky just for the sake of it, having not been worked for a while. Maybe your horse is the same?

Nudibranch

Visit site
My 6yo is trying it on now and then; it's a fairly universal thing I think. Some napping in earshot of his new best friend, a couple of small bucks, and trying to control where we ride in the fields. They just need reminding now and again!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
A glimpse into Ted growing up.

4 year old - I try, oh, what fun, I tired now.
5 year old - I still try, think its fun, shall we try this ? no, ok, I go faster, this what you want ? no, why ? I tired now.
6 year old - I might try, that will be tomorrow not today, you want me to do what ?, why ? er no, I said NO, what part of no is confusing you ? ok, make me, I will make you Ted, betcha don't win, I hate you, I tired now.

I sulk and go to bed.

23jk8xh.jpg

Celtic Fringe

Visit site
My 6 (rising 7) year old seems quite sensible but lives out and is in moderate work. However, the 30 year old retired twit is something else again ...........:D

ponies4ever

Visit site
both of my mares turned into nightmares at their 6 year old winter. Ones 8 now and the others 9 and they are the most well behaved horses you'll probably meet

saddlesore

Visit site

5 year old - I still try, think its fun, shall we try this ? no, ok, I go faster, this what you want ? no, why ? I tired now.
6 year old - I might try, that will be tomorrow not today, you want me to do what ?, why ? er no, I said NO, what part of no is confusing you ? ok, make me, I will make you Ted, betcha don't win, I hate you, I tired now.

I sulk and go to bed.

23jk8xh.jpg

Classic! Ted is a one off 🤣

Visit site

I sulk and go to bed.

23jk8xh.jpg

Yes but Ted is, let's face it, wonderful, but a law unto himself nonetheless. Gotta love him though.

Though I've got a 16 year old who does the exact same thing you've just described, but everything runs through his head in about 5 seconds till steam comes from the ears :p at which point of course he forgets how to use his legs and falls over himself.

Horses are such fun....(!)

Last edited:

HufflyPuffly

Visit site

I sulk and go to bed.

23jk8xh.jpg

:lol: this actually perfectly described Skylla too, we’ve just hit the 6 year old year :eek3:...