The 2014 Arcequine Thread

TPO

Visit site
The last one has gotten so big that I thought it would be best to start a new one.

Now that people have had theirs longer and and more people have bought one how are things going?

Have the issues with connecting and new leg pads been resolved? Are any more horses reacting badly to them? Any more positive reviews?

Has anyone bought one via an agent? What do the agents actually do as such; will they come out and demo? Still waiting to hear back from the company to find out if they have any agents in Scotland and how to book one. I don't want to buy one and then have neither of the horses tolerate it.

I've been looking into buying one for ages but equine circumstances kept changing to a point it was better to do nothing than use something that may or may not make things worse. Now they can't get worse with the main horse there is nothing to lose! I'd also be using it in an attempt to reduce scar tissue over a joint; not a major issue but would be good if it could be improved at all.

TIA for sharing your experiences.

Lgd

Visit site
I'm waiting for scans to be emailed through from my vet.

My mare was diagnosed with suspensory desmitis of medial branch in her right hind.
Initial scan - no holes, tiny amount of fibre loss, ligament twice the size of the other.
3 lots of SW, cold water spa for first 6 weeks, then AE on for 6 weeks. She was on box rest for 4 weeks at the start, although was out of the box daily going to the spa. Been walking inhand or ponied off another horse since then.
Re-scan at 12 weeks and ligament is completely healed - vet was amazed at the speed of healing.
Now done a week walking in a ho lunge aid to build up her top line a bit and has been ridden for the last few days for 15 mins in walk. Just building up the work slowly and goes for another scan at the end of March.

I had no problems with rubs and she is a thin skinned chestnut. Used the old style leg strap. Second day she took the bandage off, ditto day 3.
Then did some lateral thinking and used a premier equine sport boot to keep it on and that worked brilliantly. She has short cannons so top of AE strap just below knee and bottom strap round fetlock. boot over the top, suspensory strap covers bottom nicely. AE delivery unit tucks neatly in the top of the boot and adjust so I can see the lights. Because of my time being mostly limited to after work she did a lot of her walking with it on. Even in light rain the boot kept the leg nicely dry.

Brandy77

Visit site
Hi Hurricanelady

please could you explain how it helps things like arthritis? As presumably this has been confirmed by X-ray, and the Arcequine can't change any bone spurs etc that have already happened, so does it help because it has an analgesic affect?

Just want to fully understand how it works before deciding to purchase one!

Sults

Visit site
Thank you for the links! Unfortunately the science link are a bit over my head!

I've had a read through the case studies, they mainly seem to be examples of where the arcequine has helped speed the recovery/healing. Do you know if there are any examples of where it has been used for a degenerative disease, with before and afrer xrays?

Or if anyone else has experience of using it for a degenerative issue?

Luckily my horse doesn't have these issues, i just want to understand exactly what it does / doesn't do. It seems kind of similar to shockwave therapy in that it is an aid to healing? If that is the case it does sound like a handy piece of equipment.

LCDB

Visit site
I have been using my Arc Equine not for injuries but just to make sure everything is ok but I always worry about using the right sequence anyone got any hints on know what you should use for maintaince and different injuries etc

philamena

Visit site
Please coudld someone explain what I would need to buy to convert my old style leg strap to the new pads? My horse reacted to the old conductors, so I'm reluctant to put them back on (and haven't)... but it's not clear from the website shop exactly what I'd need to start using the newer ones?

Rach_W

Visit site
I'm a little undecided about the success of mine on my mare. She pulled her cruciate ligament last February. I used it from June onwards with no change and in fact, she became more lame. I gave up and decided that the best thing was to turn her away and perhaps retire her. Took her to the vets, thinking that I could claim loss of use on insurance and she trotted up sound and hasn't looked lame since that date. I am now bringing her slowly back into work and so far so good.

Whether it was the Arc or time, who knows and I will never know how well it has healed as scans can't show it up, but I might start using it again on the maintenance programme.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Interesting to read have been thinking about investing in one for a while, need to treat myself as well as the horses!

If ordered now do the come with the new style leg strap?

Mickyjoe

Visit site
Does anybody know how these might affect a horse that has had a neurectomy? I.e. is there a danger that it could cause the nerves to grow back? Just something I have been pondering...

tigger2

Visit site
Does anybody know how these might affect a horse that has had a neurectomy? I.e. is there a danger that it could cause the nerves to grow back? Just something I have been pondering...

I wondered this too....anyone got any experiences/thoughts??

strides-eventing

Visit site
To use the new pads you need to buy the new style leg strap. And if you buy a kit now you will receive 1 old style and 1 new style leg strap! (or I did)

I have been using the Arc Equine on my horse who has had KS surgery, and definitely think it has sped up the recovery! He came home less than 24hrs post surgery (I had used the AE a couple days prior) and a 2 days post surgery when I changed the dressing I could not believe how good it looked. There was practically no swelling and my horse wasn't bothered about it being touched. Working at Hartpury Equine Therapy Centre I have seen LOADS of post KS surgery cases and none have looked as good as my horses so quick! Fizz even commented on how good it was and agreed none of their cases had looked so good. The vet was very impressed when the stitches came out around 10 days later and just under 2 weeks post surgery we were able to crack on and start his rehab in a roller!

Unfortunately the KS isn't the only thing with him and he does have a couple other niggles which I feel are less angry now with the AE but I think the main thing to remember is that this kit will really help the rate of recovery but is not a magical cure for everything! I have been using it myself for long standing shoulder pain which has been greatly reduced since using it.

lambourngb

New User
Visit site
I wondered this too....anyone got any experiences/thoughts??

I looked into Arc earlier this year and emailed my horse's history to Ian. Due to a median-to-lateral asymmetry (caused by a **** farrier) my horse's collateral ligament had attached itself to his ddft and his navicular bursa was displaced. My two surgical options were separating the ligament from the tendon, clean out the scar tissue and hope it didn't end up reattached due to strong fiberious memory, - or palmar digital neurectomy . The first surgery is new and risky, plus no guarantee that it would work anyway, and the second had more promising chances of getting my horse sound again. I had him nerved last year.

Long story short- all the rest, not to mention his previous unbalance in his hoof had also caused calcification of his ddft further up to his pastern. I did three rounds of shock therapy to resolve it, but he is still unsound up front due to his tendon damage.

I wanted ARC to heal the tendon but leave the severed digital nerves alone- but that is impossible. I was advised I didn't need to worry about the nerves regrowing because ARC would also heal the damage in his hoof interior too. I am skeptical that something would allow the two tissues to pull apart and return to their natural state.

However- after paying for two MRIs, coffin joint injections, tendon injection, 3 rounds of shockwave, and as of yesterday nerve blocks revealed a new hind end lameness - I might consider buying this machine versus retiring my horse.

Anyone else with experience with navicular syndrome & ARC?

TPO

Visit site
I ended up buying one second hand but now my horse is healing so well I don't want to throw another factor into the mix at this stage.

Can anyone recommend a good place to advertise it?

Keenjean

Visit site
If anyone is in the south east & interested in this I have seen a talk advertised at Chelwood Equestrian Centre (East Sussex) on 30th April at 7.30. I'm going to contact them to get some more details and I'm going to go as I want to know a bit more before I decide whether to commit to it or not. The talk is free so I figure I have nothing to lose!

Brandy77

Visit site
Hmmm, I'm in Herts so that's still a couple of hours from me but might be interested, pls let us know if you do get any more info!

Auslander

Visit site
i'm a month into using mine, and I've noticed some strange things going on! First - his stubborn mud fever vanished, and most recently, huge (Weetabix sized) fibrous lumps on each elbow have dramatically reduced in size. He looks sounder and more mobile trotting round the field, and he's very fresh to ride. Obviously feeling very well in himself, which is lovely, as he has been very stiff and on/off lame behind for a long long time. i'm using it for PSD, spavins and sacroiliac tightness.

Dottie

Visit site
I've just brought my kit having had it on my radar for a while, unfortunately I'm now in a position to have to use it!

My 7 yo ID x has been diagnosed with SI and PSD as well as impinging DSP and Spondylosis of his ventral lumbar. He is only 1/10 lame but is generally stiff through his back and lacks flexibility. Now SEIB are refusing to split my claim, I will not have enough money left after the diagnostics, shockwave and medication to have surgery if he requires it. :(
I'm pinning all my hopes on to the ARC and after having a long chat with Ian he is confident my horse will be back up and running in a couple of months.

I'm going to try it on myself first for general stiffness and a sore back and I'm also interest in the effect it will have on me psychology, as I do suffer from anxiety and depression (certainly not helped by having a lame horse!)
I will keep you all posted and please keep sharing your story's !

BethH

Visit site
Any more info on success when using this - my horse at this minute is undergoing a bonescan. He has suspected PSD (rubbish farrier - now barefoot!)and the scan is to see if there are any other underlying issues. Have swapped a couple of emails with Ian at Arc and am hoping the unit can help my horse as prognosis no looking good & Ian seems confident it has helped other horses with the same sort of issues - I would love hundreds of success stories with this unit please before I splash out, & would love to hear it works!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I've used it myself and done lots of reading and would say I'm generally positive on the technology. As far as I know, though, there is very little objective scientific tracking going on, most of the evidence is anecdotal. Without double blind studies it's impossible to compare healing times our

I am interested though, when the subject comes up, how reluctant people are to share any negative or even neutral experiences. ANY therapy has risks and rewards, that's just the way life works. When I hear that something can only benefit, in every situation, without any contraindications (although human advice does suggest there are circumstances where use the technology is not recommended) I start to wonder. Critical analysis is not necessarily negative, it's just common good sense.

Barlow

Visit site
Im thinking about selling mine as bought it thinking I would use it for my horse recovering from op but livery yard never bothered putting it in him consistently! Not sure whether to stick it on eBay or put it on preloved-I see others have sold theirs secondhand, where did you advertise it?

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've just brought my kit having had it on my radar for a while, unfortunately I'm now in a position to have to use it!

My 7 yo ID x has been diagnosed with SI and PSD as well as impinging DSP and Spondylosis of his ventral lumbar. He is only 1/10 lame but is generally stiff through his back and lacks flexibility. Now SEIB are refusing to split my claim, I will not have enough money left after the diagnostics, shockwave and medication to have surgery if he requires it. :(
I'm pinning all my hopes on to the ARC and after having a long chat with Ian he is confident my horse will be back up and running in a couple of months.

I'm going to try it on myself first for general stiffness and a sore back and I'm also interest in the effect it will have on me psychology, as I do suffer from anxiety and depression (certainly not helped by having a lame horse!)
I will keep you all posted and please keep sharing your story's !
Re helping your depression, I believe that Ian has been trialling the Arc on people with depression and mental issues with good results. It certainly helped my horse cope with 3 months box rest after an op. he also healed very well after arthroscopy for a torn tendon sheath, and has been in full time work since August with no ill effects (touches wood!) I have used the unit on myself, for knee and groin pain, and find that I noticed the difference within 48 hours. I was a little sceptical of it all, as you can't feel the unit doing anything, but so far have had positive experiences. One thing I would say though, I don't believe its a cureall for every ailment, and I would be very wary of using it with any form of cancer.

wench

Visit site
Im thinking about selling mine as bought it thinking I would use it for my horse recovering from op but livery yard never bothered putting it in him consistently! Not sure whether to stick it on eBay or put it on preloved-I see others have sold theirs secondhand, where did you advertise it?

I hope you've had words with the yard!

islandspirit

Visit site

I wondered this too so asked Arc Equine with a view to purchasing one if there was no chance if nerve re growth. I wasn't very impressed with the answer as they never directly answered my question and I am still non the wiser and opted to keep my money in my pocket:)