The 85% rule when towing? What is it and how important is it?

PortuguesePony

Visit site
85% of what for a start? The vehicle unlaiden weight, the gross vehicle weight or the towing capacity?

Thanks to the help of ROG all my other figures work and I am all safely and legally within the limits for my towing combo but now I’ve just heard about this which has thrown a spanner in the works potentially.

Help! (Pretty please :D )

mynutmeg

Visit site
Never heard of it, so far as I'm aware weight wise basically the weight of the towing vehicle must be greater than that of the laden trailer

Dave282B

Visit site
The 85% rule is the trailer and contents must not be over 85% of the towcar. This is an advisory figure for your average driver towing trailers and is a good rule of thumb to stick to. I think legally you can go up to or even over 100% but obviously this is more tricky should things start to go wrong.

meesha

Visit site
Some say he is....part human part robot.....sorry got carried away...actually he is the resident expert on all things towing etc on the forum...

PortuguesePony

Visit site
it was a guideline issued by the caravan club donkeys years ago that still confuses people
Well mission accomplished caravan club!! :confused:

The 85% rule is the trailer and contents must not be over 85% of the towcar. This is an advisory figure for your average driver towing trailers and is a good rule of thumb to stick to. I think legally you can go up to or even over 100% but obviously this is more tricky should things start to go wrong.
According to the rule that you use/have heard of Dave282B – is that the fully laden trailer weight should not exceed 85% of the vehicle’s unladen/kerb weight? Or the Gross Vehicle Weight? Or the actual weight of it that day?? And why do they say you should? What happens if you don’t stick to this? Obviously I don’t want to do anything that could risk my animals during towing.
My plated gross trailer weight is 1400kg, with horsey in we’re looking at roughly 1300kg laden weight and the vehicle kerb/unladen weight is 1403kg so the car is still always going to be slightly heavier than trailer plus neddy but not within the 85% rule :(

Some say he was born pulling a trailer! Others say he knows the unladen weight of every car and trailer known to man... all we know..is he is called the ROG :D
LMAO!! Very good alainax! ;) :D

ROG

Visit site
85% of what for a start? The vehicle unlaiden weight, the gross vehicle weight or the towing capacity?

Thanks to the help of ROG all my other figures work and I am all safely and legally within the limits for my towing combo but now I’ve just heard about this which has thrown a spanner in the works potentially.

Help! (Pretty please :D )
The 85% towing ADVICE, not rule, if for towing CARAVANS only

The caravan club (CC) suggests that newbies towing caravans should not exceed 85% of the vehicle actual weight

As the actual weights of the caravan and vehicle will vary depending what is loaded into them then the CC use the MPTLM (MAM) of the caravan and the listed kerbweight of the vehicle to make it easy for the worst case senario where the vehicle is empty and the caravan fully loaded

Example - kerbweight of vehicle 1000 kgs would mean a caravan MPTLM of 850 kgs

Experienced caravanners ignore this advice as they know it is not generally accurate for their set ups

If this advice was applied to horse trailers then most would have to go out and buy a much bigger vehicle to tow with as a trailer with a plated MAM of 2600 would need a vehicle with a kerbweight of around 2300 !!

Put the 85% thing in the bin where it belongs

KarlyHT

Visit site
You are a legend Rog! Keeping the towing community safe!

Rog you are fairly local to me, do you know anywhere that would check over a wooden floor on a trailer and all the metal work underneath to ensure its totally safe?

ROG

Visit site
You are a legend Rog! Keeping the towing community safe!

Rog you are fairly local to me, do you know anywhere that would check over a wooden floor on a trailer and all the metal work underneath to ensure its totally safe?
Not my bag

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Ha ha! Top gear has The Stig.... HHO has "The ROG"!

I love it! Legendary... Why has he still not been mentioned in the mag yet?? Or got his own column????

:D:D

ROG

Visit site
If this advice was applied to horse trailers then most would have to go out and buy a much bigger vehicle to tow with as a trailer with a plated MAM of 2600 would need a vehicle with a kerbweight of around 2300 !!
Dopey me .... the 2300 and 2600 should be the other way around !!! DOH