The adventures of Precious the ex racehorse.

Doormouse

Visit site
A quick background on Precious aka Oscar Dan Dan, Grade 1 winning hurdler, 6th in the World Hurdle to Big Bucks, ridden by Ruby Walsh, AP McCoy, Paul Carberry to name but a few and winner of over £300,000 in prize money.

Now retired from racing and as it turns out retired from retraining as he cannot stand any pressure at all. He has become the yard nanny, is a naughty spoilt old man and is the kindest horse in the world.

His somewhat eccentric habits include weaving (amount, speed and style change according to what he wants), begging for apples by sticking his tongue out at you, refusing to tie up, refusing to move from the mounting block once you are on until he has had his piece of apple, a sudden terror of certain drain covers (changes drains daily), violent head shaking with a bit (loves his bit less micklem, is in charge and does exactly as he pleases), plays trainers hack for the others to canter for 3 days in a row then suddenly leaps about on the fourth day until he is allowed to join in! A strange attachment to new rugs, he loves them being opened in front of him! That is just some of them. His nickname is Precious, it suits him, he is very precious about himself!

Today was a very bad day. It started well, he decided to jump a cross pole in the school and he actually enjoyed it (he will refuse to,go near it tomorrow) and then he was allowed out for a thunder in the field with his friend (luckily they are well matched in irritating field behaviour, they manage a vet visit twice a year when things get a bit out of hand).

However, it all went very wrong when he came in and accidentally agreed to go in the wash box (usually stands on the ramp up to and flatly refuses to go in). First the hose was turned on his rug, cue water bouncing off rug onto walls, near his ears, under tummy, all very bad indeed, he was forced to sit on the hay steamer to try and escape.

Then, a yellow hose was brought out with a shower head on, no horse has ever looked so horrified by some shampoo being poured into a hose attachment! Tail was washed, it would have been a reasonable experience since it was warm water only he was still sitting on the hay steamer so the whole episode was tricky. It got worse, the shower attacked his face, his mane, near his ears, the hay steamer gave up the struggle and shot out from underneath him, a sponge viciously poured water all over his head - the world as we know it ended.

He was put to bed in a thermatex, he alternated between weaving, rolling, tongue waving and digging until his supper arrived.

HE WILL NEVER GO INTO THE WASH BOX AGAIN!
(His friend laughed at him)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
This is hilarious you should add a video of the tongue waving over an apple it sounds so funny! You should start a blog about him as the way you've written this especially the hay steamer bit made me laugh rather a lot!

fatpiggy

Visit site
Hilarious but how sad that his head is so messed up by his previous life. Good job he has found nice slaves to care for him.

Doormouse

Visit site
Hilarious but how sad that his head is so messed up by his previous life. Good job he has found nice slaves to care for him.

It is actually heartbreaking and has made me dislike an industry that I have grown up with and worked in for years. He was clearly a very good horse and brave and they sadly abused that, ran him for place money and broke his heart and then sent him over fences which frightened him to death. He is the most charming horse to have and ride at home, leads my 4 year old daughter and her pony and is a saint but if you take him out and about he literally goes into meltdown and is virtually dangerous.

Anyway, he has made himself a big part of life with us and he will have a home forever.

scotlass

Visit site
Love it! Especially his love for new rugs being opened. Heart warming that - despite the quirks he picked up in his former career - he's landed on his feet (and the hay steamer) now

Last edited:

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I remember his name from his racing days, lovely to hear for this particular lad things have worked out. He sounds a "character" and its lovely to hear you love him for who he is and what he can do. I hope you and he have many happy years together x

Pinkvboots

Visit site
He really does sound a character it just goes to prove that just because a horse can do something well it does not necessarily mean they are cut out to do it mentally, at least he is enjoying life with you would also love to see some pictures.

Dusty85

Visit site
haha! He obviously knows how to get what he wants.

Agree- I think we need to see some pictures of him?!

(Or should I weave furiously and wave my tongue at you to get them?! hahah)