The alternative Rambo summer series thread for sensible people

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I want, like really really want a Rambo Summer series. It would be so perfect for little ex racer who is a warm horse but with all this rain I’d like to have him dry, he also gets majorly irritated by flies and has very sensitive skin.
He has a normal fly sheet but I don’t like leaving it on soaking wet through.
So a waterproof fly rug seems the obvious.
I just missed a PE superlite (stay dry) on eBay which would be choice number 2 but can’t really afford new and they have stopped the belly flap model which I liked.
So.... for those of us that don’t want to bump the credit card up what’s good?
Maxima do one for only £45 and Derby Houses is on offer at £47 both free post.
I’d like a belly flap as above but realistically if it’s hot and flies are bad he can wear his normal fly sheet so not the end of the world.
I’d kind of like 2 really (one for coblet, new boys not THAT spoilt! 😉)
So I need 6’ and 6’3 pref from the same place.

C1airey

Visit site
Shires do one at about £80-90 (I think), it’s one of the Highlanders and has s belly flap. Or Pessoa do a cheaper version but no belly flap.

I had the Derby House one which also had no belly. I forget how much I paid for it, but it was reasonable quality. The Velcro on the neck soon lost it’s oomph though.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Shires do one at about £80-90 (I think), it’s one of the Highlanders and has s belly flap. Or Pessoa do a cheaper version but no belly flap.

I had the Derby House one which also had no belly. I forget how much I paid for it, but it was reasonable quality. The Velcro on the neck soon lost it’s oomph though.
I can’t find the Shires in the right sizes in stock anywhere.
What’s the Pessoa like do you know?

Remi'sMum

Visit site
I have a Pessoa one and whilst it is a very smart rug it won’t withstand more than the lightest bit of drizzle. It’s a few years old now but I don’t think it was ever particularly showerproof. Maybe newer ones are better these days?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I have a Derby House shower proof fly rug, it is truly useless. The 'shower proof' material makes the horse sweat. It slips back, the neck is tight on a smallish horse and it is not remotely shower proof.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not seen the Pessoa one in the flesh, sorry. Hope Valley have the Highlander in stock in 6’0 and 6’3 though.
I quite like them! I like that they are also a different colour to white which for the weather I want it will look minging in no time. Bit expensive to get them both one but coblet isn’t a warm horse so always been happy in a regular turnout if it’s wet.

C1airey

Visit site
I quite like them! I like that they are also a different colour to white which for the weather I want it will look minging in no time. Bit expensive to get them both one but coblet isn’t a warm horse so always been happy in a regular turnout if it’s wet.

I was looking at getting one earlier this year for my little cob (now sadly departed) who had sweet itch. In the end I bought a Rambo SI hoody because I found a deal with a free waterproof liner.

A bit spendy, and a bit of a faff essentially putting two rugs on in the event of rain, but I don’t regret buying the Rambo. My other horse shreds (other horse’s) rugs for fun but the Rambo is still intact.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was looking at getting one earlier this year for my little cob (now sadly departed) who had sweet itch. In the end I bought a Rambo SI hoody because I found a deal with a free waterproof liner.

A bit spendy, and a bit of a faff essentially putting two rugs on in the event of rain, but I don’t regret buying the Rambo. My other horse shreds (other horse’s) rugs for fun but the Rambo is still intact.
They definitely are best. I’ve got Rambo turnouts and they just don’t really compare with cheap rugs, I just can’t justify so much money right now!

Northern Hare

Visit site
I bought a "Shires Performance Maxi Fly Rug" for my horse and didn't have all that high expectations as I just thought the half-and-half summer rugs were just a bit of a fad, but it's an absolutely brilliant rug, and he is really happy in it.

He's an elderly TBxWB and has Cushings so although he was miserable and standing by the gate all the time without a rug on when it's raining, he could get a bit sweaty in even the lightest weight rain sheet (even the expensive ones that promised they were fully breathable!).

However with his Maxi Fly Rug, he's nice and dry when it rains, but he doesn't overheat!

Lucky788

Visit site
PE had one in the sale recently it might still be on, worked out about £70 and is great. Withstands heavy showers but light and breathable

mini-eventer

Visit site
I have a Rambo summer series, really disappointing the waterproof part tears so easily just on the hedgerows round the field. The lining inside has torn. It is a great concept, the liners are great but not the usual toughness i expect from rambo. I prefer the premier equine version

Leo Walker

Visit site
Mine just arrived this morning and I've just come on to post how tough the material is and how well made it is. Mines second hand and has obviously been well used but hasnt got any snags on it, so doesnt sound like the same rug as mini eventers. Will be interesting to see how it fares in use. My idiot pony has shredded a PE rug and managed to rip her rambo optimo so she is very hard on rugs!

Squeak

Visit site
I have a Derby House shower proof fly rug, it is truly useless. The 'shower proof' material makes the horse sweat. It slips back, the neck is tight on a smallish horse and it is not remotely shower proof.

I've had a couple of the Derby House and really rate them. I've never had any of those problems with them but as with everything what suits one doesn't always suit all.

TPO

Visit site
I can’t find the Shires in the right sizes in stock anywhere.
What’s the Pessoa like do you know?
I have a waterproof Shires fly rug for sale in 6ft3 if that's of any use to you? I used it two summers ago, didn't need it last year and now he's outgrown it.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have a Shires one and it is amazingly waterproof. The design means water drips down the fly sheet part, but that is below where it hangs loose down, so the horse is completely dry underneath. I guess that would not work with a really fat one, but it has worked with both of mine.

Reactions: TPO

Louby

Visit site
I think I must be the only one who doesnt like the waterproof fly rugs :eek:
I have a Weatherbeeta one, its a nice rug but my horse was too hot, so I wont be using it again. To me its like them wearing a lightweight combo with just a mesh lower part, so the majority of the horse is covered by the waterproof bit and IMO warmer than a standerd neck LW turnout.
I like the looks of the Amigo Aussie but arent they just showerproof, plus the disk closure front gives me the eeby jeebies after 2 of the velcro fron fasteners came undone on the rug I had.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think I must be the only one who doesnt like the waterproof fly rugs :eek:
I have a Weatherbeeta one, its a nice rug but my horse was too hot, so I wont be using it again. To me its like them wearing a lightweight combo with just a mesh lower part, so the majority of the horse is covered by the waterproof bit and IMO warmer than a standerd neck LW turnout.
I like the looks of the Amigo Aussie but arent they just showerproof, plus the disk closure front gives me the eeby jeebies after 2 of the velcro fron fasteners came undone on the rug I had.
Is it the Equalize combo by any chance? I have that for my old boy, it’s far more turnout that fly and yes agree too hot for what I wanted. I think the newer ones are more fly than turnout.

Louby

Visit site
Is it the Equalize combo by any chance? I have that for my old boy, it’s far more turnout that fly and yes agree too hot for what I wanted. I think the newer ones are more fly than turnout.
Im not sure to tbh, I seem to think its a comfitech one, I only bought it last year and its been used twice. Saying that, last year was the hottest ever so maybe thats why lol.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Im not sure to tbh, I seem to think its a comfitech one, I only bought it last year and its been used twice. Saying that, last year was the hottest ever so maybe thats why lol.
Could well be. I have some Superlites (non waterproof) which are supposed to be light and airy but they were sweating profusely in those even!

poiuytrewq

Visit site

holeymoley

Visit site
I truly couldn’t fault my gallop one. I don’t normally go for gallop as I think they’re a bit cheap and nasty but this is on its 6th year and it’s fabulous. I’ve not actually had it out this year ye

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I truly couldn’t fault my gallop one. I don’t normally go for gallop as I think they’re a bit cheap and nasty but this is on its 6th year and it’s fabulous. I’ve not actually had it out this year ye
I’ve looked at these actually. I once bought a non waterproof gallop fly sheet whilst my Rambo was being repaired and didn’t swap back. It was actually pretty good!