The balance of a hot horse and feeding in winter

Michen

Visit site
Outside the box but what about something different to tire him mentally rather than physically?

A 20min groundwork session tires my horse more than anything. He has to concentrate and pay attention to where his feet are. I do all sorts of yielding and guiding him (or attempting to!) with a couple of schooling sticks.

Something like TTouch or clicker training might have similar effects. I'm not overly familiar with them, especially not clicker

Just thinking thr more work you do physically the fitter he will get and then the more work he'll need.

I'd try as Roxy advised with a gradual reduction of feed and keep him stimulated mentally.

Yeah I should really and I did do in hand work and poles twice a week religiously last winter. Am just, selfishly, struggling to find the motivation as I really don't enjoy doing it!

I don't think he'd get fitter than he is now.

There's the added problem of him getting sweaty because he's nutty and then he gets angry that he's sweaty and frustrated. But I really don't want to fully clip him when he's going out. Maybe I'll just stop riding him until 2022 :D

Michen

Visit site
I have one like this - extremely annoying!! Mine is very fit and seems to go from chilled and well covered in summer to being like a very fit and happy racing snake but slightly mad in winter. Again, riding out is...not always enjoyable for both parties. Last winter was rather trying! My chap is thin skinned but very hot and sweats up easily so has to be clipped though I keep some fluff on his back or he becomes easily chilled too...!! He has ad lib hay, not huge amounts of work in the week and I am currently feeding pink mash (which he loves) with plenty of linseed. In the past, although he is sharp as a tack all winter this has kept him sane enough but really it is the fitness that is the problem; it is a very fine balance between enough work to keep him manageable and too much which results in either more weight loss than I would like or too fit to be fun. One day's harder work a week is really helpful and if not hunting I will try to do a fast 12-15 mile hack (minimum of 10-12 miles) with plenty of fast work.

Some horses, when fit in winter just are a bit like this I think. I had thought my chap would enjoy a slightly easier winter schedule as the young horse does a bit more but actually it makes him harder to enjoy.

I think linseed and a lower energy mash are helpful for maintaining condition without fireworks but really the thing will be to gradually taper the work off so your chap isn't so switched on possibly. Sorry if that is rambly and not helpful - I am really just sympathising!!

Yes it's frustrating isn't it!!!!

I had thought he'd start to mellow, rising 10 now and he is the most handy pony you can imagine hanging off the side of to do gates, ponying horses etc but he still has this utterly ridiculous side to him where he makes his own little stories up in his head out hacking!

Oh well, winter of "management" for us it is then eh :D

Identityincrisis

Visit site
He looks fantastic, but you're right in not wanting him to drop any more.

I have a very lean Arab who i pile the feed into but you wouldn't think it with how lean he is. My instructor suggested Vit E as she had success with one of her lean horses. It's made a noticeable difference, he's still lean but his muscle and top line is improving and he now looks like i do actually feed him! ?

I also have the added problem that mine sweats easily during work but feels the cold!

I'm Dun

Visit site
mine who needs feed but who I refuse to have stupid, is also fussy and it does get a bit tiring. Will he eat a big bucket of grass chaff/alfa a and sugar beet? Mine gets two small concentrate feeds a day of pink mash and sensicare, which he will eat if its just a small feed. He then gets ad lib hay and eats loads! But I also give him a big bucket with loads of alfa a and sugar beet. He picks at it and usually finishes it. It keeps the weight on but doesnt send him bonkers! He also has vitamin e which does seem to make a difference

Michen

Visit site
mine who needs feed but who I refuse to have stupid, is also fussy and it does get a bit tiring. Will he eat a big bucket of grass chaff/alfa a and sugar beet? Mine gets two small concentrate feeds a day of pink mash and sensicare, which he will eat if its just a small feed. He then gets ad lib hay and eats loads! But I also give him a big bucket with loads of alfa a and sugar beet. He picks at it and usually finishes it. It keeps the weight on but doesnt send him bonkers! He also has vitamin e which does seem to make a difference

No he won’t eat anything like that. He will Chuck it around his stable. The vit e is interesting off to buy some online!

Backtoblack

Visit site
try feeding an oil based pellet that should keep weight on but not hot him up soaked sugarbeet 9unmollassed) is also good for this.

Michen

Visit site
Yeah he really does just go off it. Have been through everything since I got him at great expense!

Have just hacked then schooled the idiot and feel great satisfaction that he’s now tired. I don’t think he’s as fit as he thinks he is ?