The best grass reins?

rcm_73

Visit site
Need to buy or make a grass rein for my youngest's pony and have just been on Ebay to look and there appears to be a few different types, some go through the bit up through browband to the saddle, others go straight from bit to d rings on saddle and the other goes from the top of the headpiece down the neck to the saddle! Am a bit unsure now as to which would be the best type for a pony that has a habit of diving its head down and tipping the child off, he also 'humps' the saddle up his neck a bit even with the girth tight (no ring to attach crupper to on saddle) so was thinking might be best with one that runs from the bit to the saddle?
Any advice welcomed!!

Cahill

Visit site
i had a crupper-ring put on a saddle once,it did not cost much.
if the saddle goes up the pony`s neck then it does not fit,if you attach something to the saddle and it goes forward,then that could lead to a bucking problem.

rcm_73

Visit site
Pony has narrow shoulders but saddle fits ok, pony has ability to pull an 8 1/2 stone rider out of the saddle and over his head then he has the ability to pull the saddle forward a little. It doesn't go up his neck just forward onto his wither (only with the weight of the 8 1/2 stone rider) but it will be this rider that has to school the pony a bit. Was thinking of having a crupper ring fitted but would rather not have to use one as I think it would add discomfort and wouldn't solve the main problem.

Janette

Visit site
I don't think the daisy rein that goes from the headpiece to the saddle would suit in this situation, seeing as how the saddle moves forward for whatever reason.

Why not get some baler twine and try both methods, then when you find which one works best, you might invest in something a little more 'aesthetically pleasing' than bright orange.
laugh.gif

mygeorge

Visit site
the best grass reins are binder twine. Start from the D ring close to pommel, run through bit ring, up over poll (through brow band loops if possible) and down through the other bit ring and back to D ring on other side of saddle. Adjust so they don't interfere with rein contact but are short enough to prevent pony getting head down. Pony puts head down and socks himself in teeth.......brill and free.

merlinsquest

Visit site
And if you find the binder twine works, then you can replace with black nylon dog leads..... put the snap ends on the D rings so they are quick and easy to take off.... No knots!!!