The Best Wellies?!?!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I might splash out and get some dunlop puroforts (which are lighter than the bog standard ones and can come lined) but only if the current pair give out.

EventingMum

Visit site
I think a lot depends on how you walk and flex your foot. I have friends who have Chameaus which have lasted 8 years +. With me they last 18 months before they crack in line with the base of my toes, two different styles have done this. I swapped to Aigles and they last longer, I started with the neoprene lined ones and then went on to a leather lined pair and they are fab. I've had them 3 years and they're still fine - the leather lining is warm and really comfortable, more so than the neoprene. I got them in a sale and would definitely consider buying them again if I could afford them.

Merrymoles

Visit site
My Muck boots sprang an invisible leak in the heel after two years and I went back to my old Hunters for a month but found them really cold - although waterproof which was a bonus! Am now wearing neoprene-lined Decathlon wellies which are warm and comfortable, have a good grippy sole and are much lighter than my old Muck boots. Only had them two months so don't know how they will stand up to twice-daily wear at the yard and walking the dogs in between but so far, so good!

dibbin

Visit site
I always swore by Le Chameaus (my last pair did 7 years of daily wear before they gave up), but I bought a pair of Aigle Parcours wellies towards the end of last year and so far they've been brilliant.

dotty1

Visit site
I have Dunlops for most of the winter, less than £10 off EBay and very comfy. I do have a pair of Muck Boots with the really grippy sole for when it gets colder but they are heavy and I don't want to wear them out too quickly so use the Dunlops otherwise.

Jola

Visit site
As someone else posted... Rigger boots. So grippy in the mud. Steel toe caps etc and very warm. It makes me giggle when I walk with someone in wellies through the mud and they are sliding everywhere!

HashRouge

Visit site
Cheapie Dunlop wellies (think they were about £15) must be on their third or fourth year now, and they're worn all the time. Not a leak or split to be seen!

Llanali

Visit site
I was always a wellie snob an needed hunters, Le Chameau etc. Then we had strangles at the yard, and my husband grabbed a pair of £15 dunlops because I didn't want to risk my smart wellies in vats of disinfectant 190 times a day..... That was four years ago. The dunlops are still going, and the hunters died long ago.

pansymouse

Visit site
I've just bought Dunlop professionals (about £35) after researching on farmers forums - I need serious grip to walk up and down a steep slope in the mud leading two. They appear to be doing the trick.

Branna

Visit site
Cheap dunlops for me too. They last and are comfortable - certainly better than most of the mid-range price wellies I have bought.
I tend to buy a new pair every year but only so I have a non-horsey pair for festivals in the summer which turn into my horsey pair for the winter!
Haven't had any split although a rat gnawed through a pair I left at the yard!

Annagain

Visit site
Aigle Parcours Iso (neoprene lined) for me too. Mine are 4 years old (I know because I got them the day a family friend had her selection for London 21012 confirmed, it's strange the things you remember!) and still going strong. Compared to the last two pairs - Hunters and Ariat Mudbusters which lasted about 6 months they're winning by miles.

They're really comfy and warm too. They describe them as a "rubber walking boot" rather than wellies and I get what they mean as there's a lot more support in the foot than normal wellies. They're like trainers inside. I have plantar fasciitis so that is really important for me.

Last edited:

GeorgiaR95

Visit site
Le chameau's are my faves, so comfy and warm ��

^ Would highly recommend these wellies, I have had many pairs of hunters over the years and the quality is shocking plus my feet were always cold at the farm! These wellies are pretty pricey but well worth the money, had nearly 2 years of wear and still no sign of them splitting. Plus they are lovely and warm

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I have had many pairs of hunters over the years and the quality is shocking plus my feet were always cold at the farm!

so, at the risk of sounding snarky, why bother with the same brand? My parents bought me some Hunters in 1986. Worst, thinnest, slippiest, coldest boots ever-never wasted money on another pair.

For the poster who asked about rigger boots-sizing for women can be a problem as they mostly start at 7/8 although you can find them in 5/6. I quite like Amblers steel toe cap myself-not the lightest boots in the world but warm and very grippy. About £50 online and mine are on their third winter.

Joyous70

Visit site
Another vote for Dunlops, mine cost £8 off Amazon last winter (Childs size), got sick to the back teeth of buying decent/expensive boots that just were not up to the job. OK so my Dunlops are clumpy, but they do the job and if they fell apart after 6 months I wouldn't be too upset at replacing them.

Limbo1

Visit site
I would still go for hunters, last pair lasted 5 years. Just replaced them with barbour ones - distressed purchase - ie had to be something in stoke in mole valley! They are only a few months old but no where near as comfy. I use boot liners in winter in wellies and when dry and cold ware my country boots (dubarry love these - best present husband has ever bought me!)

Kati*89

Visit site
I am on my second winter with my Barbour wellies, they have a slightly fleecy lining which is definitely a bit warmer than the normal ones. Find them really comfy but they are rather slippy, particularly on wet concrete. I don't drive in them or give them particularly rigorous use though!

staffylover

Visit site
I'm a Le Chameau fan: my last pair lasted 10 years before one split. The current pair is about 5 years old and no hint of a leak... Substantial sole and good grip make them comfortable and good to walk in.