The Brigante Cup 2022

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I always need goals to work towards and I want to event Lottie. So I started reading around what events we could do this year, and have looked more closely at the Brigante Cup. It looks really good. I love the idea of a series as it gives the whole season a focus (I enjoyed that last year targeting the U18s with Katie) and Frickley is a great venue. Not that I am very likely to qualify for the finals at Frickley but I can at least try!

https://www.brigantecup.co.uk/

Anyone else based around the North interested? It would be nice to have an HHO group going for it! Both to meet up at events and to support each other on here. You can compete at 80,90 or 100 level and all the events are run over BE courses.

Roxylola

Visit site
Looking at certainly running in a few of the events. Eland is challenging for him so we're unlikely to be competitive there, we'd have been 2nd at cholmondeley but I was Conservative xc as it was very wet so we had time but it rode very well. I may see how a couple of 80 runs go and look to do some of the later 90s

Bernster

Visit site
It’s interesting to see these unaff Eventing champs. I know there’s been a few threads on how these compare to BE and they’re clearly responding to a ‘gap’ in the market. There’s the Cotswolds cup too - is that more south based?

Roxylola

Visit site
Yes @Bernster cotswold cup is South based.
Most of the brigante cup venues run BE as well so while the course isn't the same necessarily and they run after BE usually I'm happy doing them as I know its going to be up to a good standard

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
It’s interesting to see these unaff Eventing champs. I know there’s been a few threads on how these compare to BE and they’re clearly responding to a ‘gap’ in the market. There’s the Cotswolds cup too - is that more south based?

Yeah these are the sort of problematic series filling a gap/eroding at grassroots membership. It's all a bit tricky - although I've no doubt they'll all be run as quality events...

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Ooo me for sure! Epworth is one of my most local venues, but just need to check when I’m on call for work to see if I can make any of the dates. Shelford is doable for me too I think (distance wise).

I’m also planning on doing a few BEs, but this also looks fab!

ETA. looks like I’m currently working for both Epworth dates but might try and swap to do the one in may ??

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I wanted to be loyal to BE and that was my first port of call when looking at what goals to set. But with higher prices, no abandonment insurance and no equivalent series it’s a no brainer for me. I’m not paying more to have less protection while taking part in a less interesting season.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably do one on my young horse. It just worries me for the long term - big prob is that many events have their 'risky' weather date as the affiliated date, and then a safer late spring/summer date for this. Which makes it an extra no-brainer with the lack of abandonment insurance :(

Ambers Echo

Visit site
The future of eventing worries me too. But bottom line is that it is the responsibility of BE to attract grassroots members if they want them rather than to blame people for not supporting them. I do get the hidden costs of BE that unaff events benefit from so if there were 2 broadly equivalent events I would pay more for the BE one to support the sport. But it’s not just money. It’s T&Cs and the overall structure of the competitions.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I don't know if I've qualified and the uncertainly is killing me!! I'm trying to work it out but I don't know how they are going to calculate it.... Top 2 in each section of each qualifying event go through automatically - that is currently 64 people. Then they have a points table and they say top 20% on that table qualify. You get points for DC and to 10th place.

But the automatic qualifiers are on that table too - whereas those with no points are not on the table. So it's not 20% of everyone who runs, but 20% of everyone who gets points. So a small slice of an already reduced group....

BUT do they include the automatic qualifiers in the 20% or is it 20% of the rest? If the former only a few other people will qualify - Sp far there are 355 people who posted points and 20% of them is only 71 people. Pretty much all the auto qualifers. If the latter I am well within the top 20% at 18th= with one other rider out of 291 riders.

Lottie was either ending her season this weekend or gearing up for the biggest challenge of our lives! I need to know which!! I am preparing as if we are going but I just don't know. Does anyone know? I mean how many places are there? I can't find last year's start lists.

quizzie

Visit site
If they are being run with one day of dressage , then there will be a max of approx 50 per section, as judges are not normally asked to cope with more than that in a day!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I don't know if I've qualified and the uncertainly is killing me!! I'm trying to work it out but I don't know how they are going to calculate it.... Top 2 in each section of each qualifying event go through automatically - that is currently 64 people. Then they have a points table and they say top 20% on that table qualify. You get points for DC and to 10th place.

But the automatic qualifiers are on that table too - whereas those with no points are not on the table. So it's not 20% of everyone who runs, but 20% of everyone who gets points. So a small slice of an already reduced group....

BUT do they include the automatic qualifiers in the 20% or is it 20% of the rest? If the former only a few other people will qualify - Sp far there are 355 people who posted points and 20% of them is only 71 people. Pretty much all the auto qualifers. If the latter I am well within the top 20% at 18th= with one other rider out of 291 riders.

Lottie was either ending her season this weekend or gearing up for the biggest challenge of our lives! I need to know which!! I am preparing as if we are going but I just don't know. Does anyone know? I mean how many places are there? I can't find last year's start lists.

Start list from last year = https://www.eventingscores.co.uk/up...1302_35223.html?eventid=1302&cb=1660558947000

53 entered, so from that would perhaps assume that the 20% includes the auto qualifiers??

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I'm so sad/obsessional that I have cross referenced everyone on the start list with last year's table to see how far down people got invited to compete. 102 people qualified. I am currently number 83 with one more event to go. Arghhhhh

Last edited:

claracanter

Visit site
I was going to have a go at this this year but I haven’t been able to get to enough events or run well at the one I did do. I would like to have it as a goal for next year. I can do Eland, Shelford possibly Epworth. I love Frickley and the idea of doing the Showjumping in reverse order for the final phase sounds an amazing challenge.

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Confirmed now that I have missed out on qualification by a single point. Absolutely gutted but proud that we came so close in our first season and excited for the future. I first tried to jump Lottie in January and it was a disaster! But by a pre season camp in March we suddenly turned a corner and she settled down and suddenly eventing seemed realistic again. My initial timeline for us was to establish the basics this year to aim to maybe do one or 2 events towards the end of the season. And we massively exceeded those expectations so I have to be happy with that. There was a time when the idea of ever eventing again seemed remote. So overall I am over the moon with her. I just wish we were either nowhere near (not by having donw worse but by the points needed being higher) or qualified! Its that finishing 4th feeling!!

So I will step up to 90 now and try again next year.

Anyone else been doing any of these? Or planning to next year?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Congratulations! An awesome achievement for your first year!

sadly dates didn’t work out for me this year as I was working for almost all of the ones within reasonable driving distance. But will hopefully have better luck next year if I’m still living up this way ??

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
I'm so sad/obsessional that I have cross referenced everyone on the start list with last year's table to see how far down people got invited to compete. 102 people qualified. I am currently number 83 with one more event to go. Arghhhhh
I did this too as I had a good result at Shelford two weeks ago. You're not the only one whose obsessed. I'm so excited as I've now got in as they opened up the entries to those with 10 points or more in the 90. First come first served and I entered straight away.

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I missed out by a single point. Gutted!! But inspired for next year- they didn’t expand to include more they just didn’t say how many points were needed till the automatic qualifiers had entered. They had a deadline to enter by, after which it opened up to those with x numbers of points on the table.

Last edited:

Ambers Echo

Visit site
I did this too as I had a good result at Shelford two weeks ago. You're not the only one whose obsessed. I'm so excited as I've now got in as they opened up the entries to those with 10 points or more in the 90. First come first served and I entered straight away.

Well done and good luck! I’ve entered the the unaff the same day anyway as I kept that weekend free.