The brutally honest confo thread!

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Quick question. I understand the reasoning behind most conformation requirements / desires as they help the horse to perform well and not suffer injuries. Those of you talking about horses being thick through the gullet - is there a physiological disadvantage to this or is it purely aesthetic?

Here is an example of a common bred horse thick through the gullet having problems with contact and breathing, have a close look at how compressed the skin in behind the jowl and how close his jawline is to the underside of his neck. His go to shape, when under pressure or getting upset is to curl up, but doing that restricts his breathing.

DSCF3747_zpskkpoouy5.jpg

Contrast that to a relaxed picture of him. Luckily he will never be asked to gallop and all of his training is done with opening the frame and stretching in mind. As he gains strength he is able to carry himself more uphill putting less pressure on his breathing. Obviously he is a very big and heavy horse, but in my ownership he will be fine. In a hunting home he would be in trouble through in conformation though.

DSCF3949_zpst7ccxu3v.jpg

Gemmabel

Visit site
I think he's absolutely stunning. I don't think he's camped under or sickle hocked although the middle photograph could give that impression but it's just how he's standing. It just shows though how this thread brings out polar opposite opinions.

Thanks you

He may be standing better here?

Although I mainly like him like this 😍

LCDB

Visit site
I would appriciate if someone would assess my boys, the lighter bay is sadly no longer with us but still nice to know what people thought of him. Sorry not the best pics

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
Sorry Wagtail (and owner), but can't agree that this horse has "perfect" conformation: not with a goose rump like that....

I thought that! Very nice horse, but thats a very slopey bum and I'm not keen on the pasterns at all although hes stood at a slightly odd angle so cant completely see.

Leo Walker

Visit site

Thoughts on Spook would be much appreciated. First horse, had him for two years now and I think I know most of his faults by now! I am finding this thread very useful as someone who knows very little about conformation! I would take Dave home in an instant, and Thumper looks pretty stunning in his summer photo (but then I'm a sucker for a gorgeous grey...)

That is a big bum emphasised by the clip! Hes also not on level ground which doesnt help, but hes still croup high. His shoulder is a little upright and his neck and chest lack definition where they meet. I forget the term!

But feel free to ignore me, I tend to make it up as I go along and he looks a really useful and pleasant horse overall :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Would be interested in your comments on my Highland

Unbacked Rising 4

Rising 5

Now - Rising 6

Perfect example of what a difference a thick wooly coat can make, and in this instance a few years to grow on.

Very pony in conformation, as you would expect. tail is set a bit low, croup a bit long and a bit slopey which hasnt improved over time, but could still look better with lots of muscle. His neck looks a million times better as a 6yr old, but thats helped a lot by losing the winter woolies. I keep thinking hes a little over at the knee, but I think thats the dark points with the cream behind causing an optical illusion

Chumsmum

Visit site
I cant see anything in an album. If you PM me a link to the photo I will post it for you though :)
Thank you so much, I've tried to send via PM but still not convinced you can see it, have changed my profile to the photo I'm trying to pose if anyone can see it lol.. I'm not normally this rubbish with technology but this has beaten me hehe xx

AdorableAlice

Visit site
This one to me, has the most near to perfect conformation on this thread. The only thing I would question are the ever so slightly long front pasterns, but that's debatable.

He is a useful sort but not near perfect, if there is such a thing ! and he wouldn't be the choice of a hunter or riding horse judge.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
He is a useful sort but not near perfect, if there is such a thing ! and he wouldn't be the choice of a hunter or riding horse judge.

That's why I said 'This one to me'. I appreciate that conformation is often a matter of individual opinion other than the very important and soundness threatening faults. I like him and the lovely highland the best on this thread in terms of conformation. I see he has a bit of a goose rump but that doesn't bother me unless it is very pronounced. So to me, he has the most near to perfect conformation on this thread along with Gemmabel's Highland. But no horse is perfect.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Thank you so much, I've tried to send via PM but still not convinced you can see it, have changed my profile to the photo I'm trying to pose if anyone can see it lol.. I'm not normally this rubbish with technology but this has beaten me hehe xx

It's a tad small! :D

image.php

hihosilver

Visit site

That picture I meant to say was him as a 4 year old. He is as you say a very useful sort. Won every WH entered and a championship. He is starting his Eventing career as he is strong in all 3 phases. This is him as 5

For some reason I can t get the picture up!?

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
That picture I meant to say was him as a 4 year old. He is as you say a very useful sort. Won every WH entered and a championship. He is starting his Eventing career as he is strong in all 3 phases. This is him as 5

For some reason I can t get the picture up!?

Gorgeous. Although the fact that the photograph is partially tilted has distorted you both somewhat! Obviously a few judges agree with my opinion of him then Cortez and AA.

Last edited:

buddylove

Visit site
20170325_120838_zps3qbjmxzm.jpg

HHO has done the big chap before, so here is a small fluffy to critique!!
He is rising 5 and will be starting his ridden career in a couple of weeks. He also gives the best cuddles of any horse/pony I've ever owned!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
20170325_120838_zps3qbjmxzm.jpg

HHO has done the big chap before, so here is a small fluffy to critique!!
He is rising 5 and will be starting his ridden career in a couple of weeks. He also gives the best cuddles of any horse/pony I've ever owned!!

I'm not really clued up on ponies, but wanted to say he's so cute! He looks to have a lovely head and neck, nice slope to the shoulder, nice short cannon bones (possible slightly back at the knee but it's hard to see from the angle). Maybe a tad long in the back, but I'm used to looking at horses, not ponies.

buddylove

Visit site
I'm not really clued up on ponies, but wanted to say he's so cute! He looks to have a lovely head and neck, nice slope to the shoulder, nice short cannon bones (possible slightly back at the knee but it's hard to see from the angle). Maybe a tad long in the back, but I'm used to looking at horses, not ponies.
Thank you 😊
He is a bit back at the knee for sure, think the angle is a bit rubbish as he isn't long backed, I don't think? Try this one
20170325_120913_zpsgjpi77k5_edit_1490448873657_zpsll3s8efg.jpg