The coldest winter for over a century?

Tnavas

Visit site
Oh I so don't miss English winters - I love living in New Zealand when I hear that you are to expect a really cold winter. Winter here comes and goes so quickly that it is a mere inconvenience with some days when you don't even need to heat the house.

I still remember the winter of 1963 - it snowed on Boxing Day and didn't go until late March - It was magical, I was 11 going on 12 and as a kid we had a blast making igloos and snowmen - but now as an adult I realise it must have been hell for the farmers and horse owners.

Hope it doesn't get too bad for you all, my mum is in the UK she's 86 so in winter I worry about her getting around in icy conditions.

LauraWheeler - black ice was the cause of my moped crash and a dislocated knee - nasty stuff.

gwniver

Visit site
Oooh we seem to keep having '' worst winters for more than a century '' every year .
Funny , last year the snow didn't yet more than 10 cm . Maybe we will get abit more than that this year .
But , hey , look on the bright side , if we have a century, of the'' worst winters in a century '' , we may get a white Christmas , :D

LauraWheeler

Visit site
LauraWheeler - black ice was the cause of my moped crash and a dislocated knee - nasty stuff.

Ouch Not good. The only icy day we had last year was boxing day. I pushed my moped to work very slowly. A 30min journey took 2 hours and now I live further away so realy hope they are wrong or it'll be a very long walk to work for me.

pinkypug1

Visit site
I'd much rather have bitterly cold and dry than very wet & windy. Thankfully I can walk to the yard if needs be & horse will be out 24/7 so no 'need' to be there to feed muck out etc if things do get really bad as owners live on site to do the checks. & I'm off on maternity leave so I can stay cuddled up in bed not having to worry about gong out to work either :)

Wiz201

Visit site
I never take note of what the daily fail or the express says when it comes to weather. Its impossible to predict anything for longer than 24 hours. I've got winter tyres to put on beginning of November so IF the snow comes, I'll be prepared. There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing/equipment etc.

StormyMoments

Visit site
I think its all BS. If it was going to be cold the horses would have a decent winter coat coming even having had warm September in to October. None of the horses on our yard have even started getting anything that resembles a winter coat. I would have usually clipped by now and I have no need to.

touchstone

Visit site
Netweather seem to think winter is going to be pretty average, with the odd cooler spell. James Madden is like the prophet of doom every season and then justifies himself as being right if there is a single snowflake! I do think that northern blocking might be an issue, but nobody knows for certain, and when the forecasters can get the next days weather wrong, I wouldn't be putting all my faith in their long term predictions. Being prepared if we do get bad weather is sensible though.

PolarSkye

Visit site
I think its all BS. If it was going to be cold the horses would have a decent winter coat coming even having had warm September in to October. None of the horses on our yard have even started getting anything that resembles a winter coat. I would have usually clipped by now and I have no need to.

a) it hasn't been that cold yet; and b) coat changes are triggered more by number of daylight hours than by temperature . . .

P

Enfys

Visit site
Tnavas, I am always hearing about the winter of '63/'63. My parents got married on the 29th December, and were having a huge bash at their Yacht Club, people travelled from all over the country. They all got snowed in and took over half the hotels in town because they couldn't get out for almost a week!

As I child it seems that we regularly got snowed in, but then our lanes were high hedged and probably only one car wide, the snow has nowhere to go other than upwards. Funny how as a child you never remember the rain and miserable days, snow and the droughts I remember well.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Ah, yet another of the Express's non-news day headlines. This newspaper only seems to have three headlines
1: Weather scaremongering
2: Cure for arthritis is round the corner
3: Cure for dementia/Alzheimers nearly found

I'd love a cold winter, but hard to believe anything they print.

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
Said that last year......as my friend ponted out it kinds was in a way as we nearly all blooming drowned! :D

I've put in my order for cold and dry (no snow)

canteron

Visit site
Ah, yet another of the Express's non-news day headlines. This newspaper only seems to have three headlines

They still manage to do the odd 'Diana' headline as well! Sadly poor Diana dying did eventually mean they couldn't have her in their headline every day.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
They still manage to do the odd 'Diana' headline as well! Sadly poor Diana dying did eventually mean they couldn't have her in their headline every day.

*snort*

I'll give anything for a cold but dry winter. I don't think I could cope with another winter like last year, especially as horse is going to be living out 24/7 this winter!

StarcatcherWilliam

Visit site
According to a local (West Wales) weather geek page on FB it's not going to be cold at all:

For the record I'm predicting a very similar winter to last year's. The reason being is the north east America is predicted yet again to be brutally cold and Canada is predicted to be mild. This sort of setup is what enhances and creates a very strong jet stream.

This is by no means a set in stone forecast as there are many other factors that come in to play like the very weak el nino which is very slowly developing in the central Pacific. There is evidence to suggest that this can aid a colder setup over Europe. The way the usa and Canadian models are looking at the moment though I will be surprised if we have much cold this winter. We will obviously get the odd cold snap like we do most years but a prolonged period of cold and snow doesn't look good.

Although it's 2 months away yet our winter will I expect be no easier to predict even within a couple of weeks before. I'll keep looking into it and keep you updated in a couple of weeks.

Just remember this is the British weather so things may change.

Tnavas

Visit site

A horses coat does not grow or be shed because of temperature. The shortening time of the days starts the coat growing and in the spring the lengthening days cause the coat to fall out.

You can totally prevent a horse growing a winter coat by putting it under strong lights from mid June onwards. The showing people put theirs under lights from January to get rid of the winter coat fast, lights on until 10pm and turned on at 4am each day.

The Pituitary gland signals growth and dropping of coat, the reason why Cushings horses have such a crazy coat, their Pituitary gland is malfunctioning..

Meems

Visit site

Well at least they've stopped banging on about Princess Diana, that used to be one of their main headlines for many years!

Winter will be what it will be. Don't the papers say every summer that it's going to be the hottest for about a thousand years and we're all going to die. Well not literally but you know what I mean.