The Cult of Hunting

LACS

Visit site
A cult is defined "a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious" and also as "great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work". In addition, there are a number of themes or conditions which go to make up a cult, namely:

1. A marked group desire to enlist converts.
2. Esoteric or inexplicable behaviour by members of the cult.
3. Secrecy
4. Aggressive behaviour towards people outside the cult.

Hunting is clearly a cult. Was it purely a joke when a year or so back pros wanted to register foxhunting as a religion? But let's examine the conditions for being a cult in detail.

1. "A marked group desire to enlist converts."
How long long does it take between a "newbie" making a vague post on forums like this about going hunting for the first time and a preternaturally jolly reply appearing from a hunter exhorting the potential convert to ring hunt secretaries all over the realm? There is something genuinely spooky about this.

2. "Esoteric or inexplicable behaviour by members of the cult."
In anthropological terms the easiest way to distinguish cult members from others is by a dress-code. What better way to show you are not a normal member of the public than by donning some skin-tight white breeches?

3. Secrecy
"Nudge-nudge, wink-wink" - or its equivalent - is now common parlance amongst hunters on sites like this. Hunts' flouting of the law has made secrecy even more important and that, in turn, has reinforced their "cult" status. But secrecy has always played an important part in hunting. Want to know where a cubbing meet is being held? Tough luck! Unless you're a "trusted" member of the cult that is!

4. "Aggressive behaviour towards people outside the cult."
Have you seen Amercian Werewolf when the American goes into an isolated rural pub in terrible weather and the locals stop talking and stare at him?

Nigel

Visit site
Hi Lacs,

A bit rich coming from somebody calling himself Lacs

Former PR campaigner for the League Against Cruel Sports Miles Cooper speaks frankly to H&H about life with LACS and why he changed his views on hunting

"I think 'cult' is a very accurate description [of LACS]," says Miles Cooper, a former employee of IFAW and LACS, who, like Graham Sirl, underwent a dramatic change of opinion as he began to learn more about hunting.

"The anti-hunt movement was never very big, it was based on a small core group of animal rights people — many of whom never understood what they were doing, or why they were there.

"I became concerned that we were shoehorning evidence to suit our own political agenda and I think we were misleading people."

Cheers

Nigel

LACS

Visit site
As I said, cults are very skilled (they have to be) at enlisting new support. If you're happy having these people amongst your ranks then I'm happy for you.

wurzel

Visit site
1. "A marked group desire to enlist converts."

And LACS does not want to do this ?

2. "Esoteric or inexplicable behaviour by members of the cult."
In anthropological terms the easiest way to distinguish cult members from others is by a dress-code. What better way to show you are not a normal member of the public than by donning some skin-tight white breeches?

Is this the cult of show jumpers? Or national hunt jockeys?

Are rugby players a cult? Or the cub scouts?

Surfers?

Surely the crappest argument ever put forward?

"3. Secrecy
"Nudge-nudge, wink-wink" - or its equivalent - is now common parlance amongst hunters on sites like this. Hunts' flouting of the law has made secrecy even more important and that, in turn, has reinforced their "cult" status. But secrecy has always played an important part in hunting. Want to know where a cubbing meet is being held? Tough luck! Unless you're a "trusted" member of the cult that is!"

Secrecy?

Here are some quotes from the British Deer Society report into the torture of deer at Baronsdown.

"All dead and dying deer from in and around the LACS sanctuary should be subject to full independent post mortem examination and the results published for the benefit of livestock and wildlife disease surveillance in the area.

Eventually both LACS and DEFRA agreed to attend a confidential meeting in London organised by BDS to discuss the problem.

This meeting took place in September 2003 and was attended by Mark Nicolson [Chairman BDS], Peter Green [Veterinary Advisor BDS], Professor Stephen Harris [Scientific Advisor to LACS], Douglas Batchelor [LACS], Paul Tillsley [LACS], Alick Simmons [DEFRA London], Allan Wellwood [DVM SVS Taunton] and Matt Heydon ]DEFRA Wildlife Unit]. The meeting was held under Chatham House Rules [no minutes, no reporting] BDS considered the meeting to be helpful, informative and productive."

"During January 2004 further distressing reports were received of sick and thin deer from the area. One reliable source indicated that eight out of nine hinds culled in the area had widespread internal abscesses. A visit to the area by Peter Green confirmed that the deer were in no better condition than the previous year and that there was evidence of enteritis, weakness and emaciation. The Society was very disappointed by the failure of LACS to respond to the proposals for the agreed joint investigation and arrangements were made by BDS for a further collection of samples before the end of the hind season in February 2004. Local landowners and officers of the Exmoor Deer Management Society were very co-operative in the culling eight red deer on the land surrounding the LACS sanctuary at Baronsdown under the auspices of Hugh Rose, who conducted basic post mortem examinations before carcasses were submitted to VLA Langford for further examination and culture. The result of this collection was very disturbing indeed:

Six calves were culled [two female, four male] - four had clearly visible lesions

Two two-year-old hinds were culled – one had clearly visible lesions

All the samples submitted for culture proved positive for bTB

These results have been sent to the LACS veterinary surgeon with a request to share data on any samples submitted from within the sanctuary. LACS has declined to exchange information"

Yep !

LACS are a cult !!!

"Aggressive behaviour towards people outside the cult"

ou mean like people who fish, have a CA sticker in their car or unfortunate enough to be a dead grandmother?

Cult.

LACS

Visit site
I don't know why you're being so sensitive. Of course I forgot the most obvious example of potty secret behaviour by hunts - which is the initiation of new recruits by blooding them!

Hercules

Visit site
Faggot, is the fact you've got a crazed look in your eyes something to do with your cult membership?

Probably the same crazed look as you had during the 'dry bumming' initiation ceremony for you to become a member of the LACS cult.

RunToEarth

Visit site
"
A cult is defined "a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious" and also as "great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work". In addition, there are a number of themes or conditions which go to make up a cult, namely:

1. A marked group desire to enlist converts.
2. Esoteric or inexplicable behaviour by members of the cult.
3. Secrecy
4. Aggressive behaviour towards people outside the cult."

Surely everything written here could also apply to LACS?

Paul T

Visit site
I'm not sure it's all that complicated. LACS likened the ritual surrounding hunting to that of a cult. You asked me what do I get from my cult, and I asked you what cult is that?

I can assure you I'm not in the same cult as you.

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
There is no secrecy in hunting.

I have been cubbing when nobody knew who I was. I have been taken to large protest events where I was then made privy to the days plans, where the antis were, how they were (and were not...) getting in... before I'd even met the hunt master!!!

I have taken people cubbing who had never been hunting before. The problem the hunts have is trying to keep things quiet so the really annoying members of the field (*ahem*) don't turn up until later in the season.

Having been illicitly cubbing, I have seen first hand WHY hunts don't like those sorts of people turning up!!!

Of course, sabs not knowing is also nice, but our frigging meet cards contain a months worth of cubbing meets on them. If the eejits weren't so illiterate, they'd not only see the "opening meet" as being listed half way down the card, but the addresses of the meets so they'd turn up....

Fairynuff

Visit site
Sorry Karl, I think he looks quite sexy( I do realise its not him, but...I like a man with a slightly crazy look in his eye!) Ive got a soft spot for odd bods. M. :grin:

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
There has been nothing but openness from the Fitzwilliam. You can look on our message boards from three years ago when I was trying to find out more, and see the invitation that was extended to me, a complete unknown.

We don't advertise our meets, but people are always welcome to come along and see for themselves. They can chat to our staff at country shows, visit our website, phone or write to the Hunt Office and secretaries. Hardly the actions of people with something to hide now is it?

LACS

Visit site
Well I suppose so, but I sincerely hope hunters don't get their knobs out in public when they're drunk.

Onyxia

Visit site
Sorry Karl, I think he looks quite sexy( I do realise its not him, but...I like a man with a slightly crazy look in his eye!) Ive got a soft spot for odd bods. M. :grin:
................................................................................................................
Thats Lord Eomer, not an "odd bod"!!
Im pretty certain he looks a bit mad there because he has just been banished and found out a traiter to Rohan wants his sister- fair enough IMHO!
(and yes, i know I shouldnt read or watch anything LOTR related again for a good many years!)

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
Whether or not Hunting is a cult and whether or not people who indulge in it are obsessed.

The real sad people are those like LACS who are obsessed by something they don't even do.

I'm going to break the Hunting Act this weekend LACS do you want to come?

Bring your video camera if you like you puriant little peeping tom.

Fairynuff

Visit site
OOps, dont know my ass from my elbow-thought he looked familiar though! Sexy!
TF, are you in any way similar? Mairi. ;) Ps, looks a bit like a groomed Billy Connolly.