The current price of horses.

TicTac

Visit site
I am on the hunt for a new horse and it's proving to be rather difficult! I do not have a massive budget, infact it's quite small at 3.5k but everything in that price range that I have tried has been rubbish!

It seems to me though that some people are expecting un realistic prices for their horses especially as I.m not after a superstar! Granted though that quality, talented horses will always command a good price but I'm not looking in that area.

So far I have seen 4 horses. One I couldn't stop, 2 I couldn't get going and the one today was a Trakehner gelding that I posted about earlier on in the week. He was lovely and not without his issues but he is a possibility.

I think possibly that patients is the key and that maybe towards the winter prices will drop as people have to start feeding and bringing their horses in.

I am disappointed and a little disheartened as when I bought my mare 4 years ago I paid 4k for her and she ticked most of the boxes.

mandwhy

Visit site
It is a lengthy process and my budget is only 2.5k! At first glance it seems there are loads to choose from, but when you go to try them its a whole different story! 4 isn't that many but having said that I'm tempted by the 4th.one I tried :)

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
I have managed to find loads! Admittedly, what is on paper is not necessarily what is in the flesh, but I have found a fair few.
My friend asked me today to have a hunt for her, and I must have easily found 10+ horses, between 5 and 10, 16hh+, all about 3500 or less, give or take a few hundred. And they were all within an hour and half from Essex. All my friends seem to ask me for help in searching. I have window shopped for so many years I have it down to a fine art I think!

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
What are you looking for? Lots of people overvalue their horses quite a bit, and always read an ad as being £500 less than it actually is as nearly everyone will take that.

^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^

Always think a few hundred less of what the asking price is, even if you think it's a good price, always haggle! Everyone who is selling anything will always add a bit extra on, to take in the fact that a buyer will haggle the price down! It's the norm!!

DropbearUK

Visit site
What are you looking to use your new horse for? How large/small would you want it to be?

Personally I'm a raving fan of Spanish horses, they seem to be great and good natured all rounders with plenty of brain and personality! - I AM biased though!

If a Spanish sounds like your 'thing' Try Anita on the following website - if she hasn't anything for you she'll be able to point you in the right direction!

http://www.andalusianhorses.co.uk/horses_for_sale.htm

TicTac

Visit site
I'm looking for something between 16hh - 16.3hh. Gelding preferred in the age range 7-12 but will always consider older or younger depending on the horse.

As a mature but v expereinced owner/rider I am looking for the more easy going, safe and sensible type now to do local shows, sponsored rides and dressage etc. You know the sort lol Having said all this, what's the bet I end up with something completely different!!

I live in Bedfordshire and so far I have been looking fairly locally but it is looking like I might have to start looking further afield. Yorkshire always seems to have a good varied selection at sensible prices!

I have several friends on my case for word of mouth types and there is a local dealer with a good reputation who is off to Ireland this week so fingers crossed!

Sologirl

Visit site
I have managed to find loads! Admittedly, what is on paper is not necessarily what is in the flesh, but I have found a fair few.
My friend asked me today to have a hunt for her, and I must have easily found 10+ horses, between 5 and 10, 16hh+, all about 3500 or less, give or take a few hundred. And they were all within an hour and half from Essex. All my friends seem to ask me for help in searching. I have window shopped for so many years I have it down to a fine art I think!

I can vouch for Lippyx, she'd been talking to me for all of half an hour and found plenty of nice looking horses to suit me! :D

competitiondiva

Visit site
A horse is 'worth' what someone's willing to pay for it. Having recently sold a horse, I got no interest at the first price I tried, but sold to the first person to view at £500 less. Sometimes you need to look outside the box a little though, the person who bought mine, wasn't actually after one so young, but he's the type of horse that was born an adult I think!!!