The dog you want? or love the one you're with :)

Karran

Visit site
They are getting a little bit more popular now but i didn't know anyone growing up that actually knew what they were until i met my boyfriend and discovered he also had two!

I had no idea that they came in black until walking in the park this week and one appeared!!

I had labs growing up and my grandparents GSD's but despite my initial doubts over Mrs Spaniel, I am a complete convert!!
She's full of energy but yet will cuddle up on the sofa, a complete clown and is just a good natured idiot who loves life!
Definitely want another at some point!

Nicnac

Visit site
I have had Bernese Mountain Dogs for most of my adult life - 5 in total interspersed with a Border Collie who was sweet but nuts. I now have two flatcoats who are equally nuts but amazing characters.

BMD's have too short a life span although they'll always be my favourites. I won't have another nor will I have another flatcoat as would be too much by the time these two are no longer with us so will get an old lady dog whatever that may be.

Whatever it is it will be big and long haired!

druid

Visit site
I have Springers - I rarely have less than three. Usually have a retriever of some sort also but currently have a lurcher who works as a retriever instead.

At some point I'd like a minority breed Spaniel, possibly Clumber. Eventually I want a HPR of some sort, maybe a GSP

Quadro

Visit site
I have a rescue pomeranian. Likely more of a spitz type. I adore him but fluffy tails get very muddy! Would love a corgi, wanted one before Fox's arrival, and maybe one will arrive in the future

Pippity

Visit site
Going purely on the "Those dogs look pretty!" methodology - shiba inu or borzoi.

Sadly, my current lifestyle makes a dog impossible but, when I do get one, I have every intention of getting a rescue greyhound.

twiggy2

Visit site
I love my lurchers but they are not well suited to life here, so realistically I am unlikely to have another long legs.
I have a collie pup and the plan is for her to work, with the changes in my working life hopefully collies will be the way forward for a while yet.
I do love terriers too and hopefully one day I will get another terrier mix, but who knowsaybe I will stick to the collies.
Partner has 3 working collies, a retired springer and a young springer (looking for a home, he used to be a gamekeeper hence the springers). Springers, whilst I love their happy outlook are definitely not for me as living companions.

Tinkerbee

Visit site
I think I'll always be in the realm of terriers, I really fancy a wire haired fox terrier, they always look so smart when freshly groomed. Ditto an Irish terrier. And a wee Norfolk/Norwich in my dotage!

Dano1223

Visit site
Too many breeds not enough time. Providing I have the time and space I would have anything i think that would suit my lifestyle. Always had a thing for Deerhounds or maybe a Deerhound x Grey. Never had a lab so would quite like one at some point and a viszla. My girlfriend and I used to walk an Australian cattle dog too which was gorgeous! So, yeah.....I'd have everything if i could lol

Molasses

Visit site
I've had many GSD's, one Bernese Mountain dog ( 1 was plenty! never again though I loved her) and Red Setters, Labs and terriers.

Currently I have Heinz 57 dogs, collie and terrier types

I would love an Irish Wolfhound, for no other reason than I think they're gorgeous, but my research tells me they are too expensive, too many health problems and would likely die way too young for me to cope with the heartbreak. So i'll stick to my hardly Heinz57 types

windand rain

Visit site
owned GSD, Golden retrievers, labradors, lab x GSD, Lab x retriever, cavalier king charles spaniels and Newfoundlands which are my first love but they are very expensive and mostly dont live too long although our Bitch was 17 when she died at the time the oldest lived one on the planet I would love another but now live in a very small house, I have thought of having a poodle or a poodle cross that doesnt shed its coat but may just have another lab at sometime as ours has been the easiest, least greedy, least destructive we have ever had although I think she is not quite right as a Labrador from what I have heard. She is unbelievably good the best dog we have ever had, She didnt even touch the sunday roast left on the coffee table while we answered a call as first responders. It was still there un touched when we came back patient survived too. I think a Springer might be our next family pet

planete

Visit site
My first two dogs were GSDs, next one was a Border Collie, followed by a Border terrier, a retired greyhound, a terrier cross, then various lurchers, from tiny to large, long, rough and short-haired. They were all amazing with their different personalities, foibles and strengths. I must admit I was glad I did not have to keep a very hyper staffie/whippet foster and a very assertive borderline aggressive saluki one for ever. i did my best with them for the few months they stayed with me but they were hard work and I had a few sleepless nights working out how best to manage the saluki.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have Springers - I rarely have less than three. Usually have a retriever of some sort also but currently have a lurcher who works as a retriever instead.

At some point I'd like a minority breed Spaniel, possibly Clumber. Eventually I want a HPR of some sort, maybe a GSP

I love the look of Clumber Spaniels but couldn't cope with all that hair!

rara007

Visit site
I am so many breeds such a short life one! I grew up with a lab, and still live at home with now gen 2. lab. At various points may parents have had a GSD and an English Setter. 'my' first dog was a show cocker, and my second is a working springer- they couldn't be more polar opposites of the spaniel world. One of my sisters has a working bred collie and a mini schnauzer, the other a JRT x poodle. During my life I'd like a trials bred lab dog, a belgian (not decided between types but a small bitch!), some bright toy breed likely a pap, a scruffy lurcher, a minority gun dog breed, possibly an american bulldog if home circumstances were to allow such a strong dog. Considering I meet so many dogs a day I think I've done well to keep my list so small really :p. I only have a few on the 'nope' list!

alainax

Visit site
We have a gorgeous laidback working cocker spaniel. We call her the coucher spaniel...

I’ve always admired the ibizian and pharaoh hounds

Attachments

• FF49C98D-BBC6-4C48-9E12-6119D8E75607.jpeg
    FF49C98D-BBC6-4C48-9E12-6119D8E75607.jpeg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 2BFEFC3E-2C04-4E37-98B1-F388A4622C7F.jpeg
    2BFEFC3E-2C04-4E37-98B1-F388A4622C7F.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 1
  • BA19CEDD-1397-407A-8BAA-0BEC1C2A8589.jpeg
    BA19CEDD-1397-407A-8BAA-0BEC1C2A8589.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Working ones are no hairier than working Springers! :D

I couldn't cope with that much hair either! I am only likely to ever have short-haired dogs. We did re-home a Border Collie which might have been a problem, but actually she kept herself remarkably clean and didn't shed much hair.

druid

Visit site
I couldn't cope with that much hair either! I am only likely to ever have short-haired dogs. We did re-home a Border Collie which might have been a problem, but actually she kept herself remarkably clean and didn't shed much hair.

I'm resigned to the white hairs and clothes brushes :D

yhanni

Visit site
I love my EBT but she is dog aggressive which makes walking her challenging!. Makes me laugh every day though - they are total clowns and about as stubborn as a stubborn thing can be! Have had Weims in the past and Deerhounds which are the most beautiful, gentle souls but lost my special girl to bone cancer and couldn't cope with that again. Absolutely heartbreaking. Also had Patterdales but don't live in the right environment now. Also have had Rottweilers and consider myself lucky to still have one old boy left - he is nearly 12 and pretty disabled but still enjoys life. Hard to find a good one these days apparently. Have just bought a mastiff x pup who is impressing me so far with his placid attitude. We'll see!

GSD Woman

Visit site
Ever since I was an adult and able to buy my own dogs I've had GSDs. Good GSDs are expensive in the USA and my current puppy is probably my last. In the future I'll look for a young adult rescue either from a local herding dog rescue or a rescue here that specializes in rescuing older dogs and fully vets them. They have a lot of lovable and adorable dogs that go quickly.

RunToEarth

Visit site
I always always wanted an HPR, growing up it was a GSP, then I really swooned after a Vizsla, these days I really like the Bracco Italianos.

I definitely did not ever want a golden retriever because who wants a hairier version of a Labrador as a working dog?! Having now got two working GR, I'm not sure I would dare look at another breed. They're both so loyal and biddable and most importantly, they are fantastic family pets. I think if I got more into picking up again, I'd seriously look at a short coated HPR for working, but having said that every Vizsla I've ever met has been a little bit precious about the cold/wet days!

Wheels

Visit site
Aww there's loads of breeds I love

Currently have 3 GSPs who I adore, they are so affectionate and I just love having them around. My older dog who is 9 but doesn't look or act it is my bestest buddy, goes everywhere with me at the minute.

I love dachshunds and would have my own army of them if I wasn't worried about vets bills! Love beagles, love Burnese mountain dogs (although don't love grooming so probs wouldn't go that route) also Manchester terriers and patterdales but both of those need more exercise than I could give.

Reactions: JGC

nellietinker

Visit site
I was brought up with Pugs and Dalmatians. My first dog was a rescue - I went to get a Cocker Spaniel - came back with a Rottie - beautiful dog who sadly had bone cancer then stomach cancer. Next dog a GSP also rescue, third was Collie cross Husky another rescue. Then there was a black whippet my soul dog, with him i had a very beautiful but slightly brainless greyhound, then the whippet in the photo joined them.
My partner is a collie man - only collies exist in the world until he got the one on the top left a Collie Kelpie x. She was a nightmare as a puppy until she 18 months old (hormone imbalance!). Now she is so chilled and loves her work with the sheep. When we lost the old Border Collie we needed another one to bring on he wanted another Collie Kelpie cross what we got is the pup in the front a Collie, Kelpie, Huntaway x (she is 8 months old and is just being introduced to sheep and is keen) they are all happy in the tractor or curled up in front of the fire. My parents have three rescue dogs a Pug, GSP and an Italian Greyhound I was asked to rehome. 20180803_205032 (002).jpg