The dreaded forever living: drinking aloe gel for horses? Advice

HeyBigSpender

Visit site
Hello,

First of all I must say I'm a slight skeptic, however I would like to be proved wrong. I was just wondering about the affects of aloe on preventing/soothing stomach ulcers? (I'm not looking for other ways of preventing please, just interested in the product, thanks :) ) I was wondering people's expirence, I would like to try my upmost to prevent ulcers, however I want to know people's expirences on this product, only people who have used it themselves, I'm not interested in sellers please, as I've had the speel about how amazing it is blah blah blah, but I appreciate there hasn't been much research on aloe and its affects anyway, so I just want personal expirences please, and also how much do you add to food per day, thanks :)

paulineh

Visit site
When my vet scoped my boy and he was found to have both Gastric and Hind Gut Ulcers there were 2 things that she said were good. One was Aloe Vera Gel and the other was Sodium Bicarbonate. I am about to get some Aloe Vera Gel to see if that helps. He is already now on the Sodium Bicarb.

Scarlett

Visit site
I didnt try the Forever Living stuff, mostly because I was totally put off by the pushy marketing, but I have used the Aloequine stuff which is made specifically for horses and would recommend. My horses all had gastric issues last year and the AV seemed to settle things down and make them more comfortable. My vet recommends it for everything....!

LittleBlackMule

Visit site
At the Moorcroft racehorse rehab centre they assume all newcomers have ulcers as standard, and put them all on aloe vera juice. I can't imagine they would bother if they hadn't found it worked. Don't know what brand they use though.

catembi

Visit site
Mine's on AloeRide. There has been a definite improvement. He has put on weight. Previously he had extremely loud gut noises & virtually never passed wind & never pooed in his stable (only in twice a day for feeding or riding). Now the gut noises have normalised, he is appropriately windy & he does produce poo when standing in. He looks happier in himself & less introverted.

AloeRide does a genuine free trial where you get 2 sachets for the cost of postage to check palatability. It is a powder - they look like a smaller version of lemsip. I was v sceptical as there just doesn't look to be 'enough' powder...but the results speak for themselves.

We are now on the yearly subscription, which works out at £40 to £45 per month. A sprinkling of powder is far easier to get them to eat than great volumes of juice.

T x

Milkmaid

Visit site
Another vote for Aloequine. It's a quality, certified inner leaf gel at a FAR more affordable price than Forever Living Aloe! Beware the cheap Holland and Barrett type aloe as it has outer leaf which is not good for gut health!
Aloequine is used widely by racing yards, studs & is recommended by my vets. I sell it in my shop and use it on one of my horses who has gastric issues. Great stuff!

http://www.aloequine.com/
Disclaimer. .. although I sell it in my shop that is because i believe in it as a product not because I have an interest in the company, which I don't! I don't trade online either ☺

Last edited: