The Dun Thing

Solomon

Visit site
Stable Name - Sam. Also now known as Hannington Samuel. 14 hands dun gelding. Freezemarked 13D1. I am trying to find out information on him prior to 2005. Has been in Taplow, Billericay and around Newbury somewhere that I know of. Has been owned by Claire Hammett, Sarah Pond, Louise May, Sarah Thwaite and Claire Hill that I know of and probably a load of others as well!! Any info greatly received.
confused.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
The Dun Thing is quite a common name for a Dun I think. I am sure that if you google it you would get some names?

I really dont get why the very urgent interest in the horse? All horses have a past - though it is nice to know, I have always found the best thing to do is focus on the horse you have and what he is doing now, after all, that is the most important thing. What he has done in the past is fairly irrelivent...

Good luck with finding his history out though.

Solomon

Visit site
what he has done in the past is relevant when his behaviour suddenly changes and when you come to do a transfer of ownership with the freezemark company you find he is not actually the horse you thought you had purchased. Why bother replying if all you have to say is irrelevant to my post. You would feel exactly the same way if the same thing happened to you and it had broken your daughters heart

Solomon

Visit site
I have found out varying things over the past two days that differ slightly from my first post. DOES IT REALLY MATTER TO YOU ANYWAY?

Agent XXX999

Visit site
ok and caaaallllm.

I had a similar problem with my boy - except he had a Loss of Use branded on him the day before I picked him up. So I do have sympathy for you. I still do not see how the horses past is going to change anything.

Ezactly what problems are you having - vetrinary or behaviour?

Please explain a little more...people on this forum are willing to help one another and I am sure you will get some good advice.

I know you are clearly upset but I still think that you cant change the past with any horse, and you need to focus on what is happening with him now.

meandmyself

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have found out varying things over the past two days that differ slightly from my first post. DOES IT REALLY MATTER TO YOU ANYWAY?

[/ QUOTE ]

You asked for answers, so please don't shout when someone posts something you don't like. It's not fair, and you'll get less help.

Can you trace him through his freeze mark? If you can find out the firm, you may be able to get some info that way. Also, it could be worth checking in with the pony clubs around where you bought him from; they might know something. Ditto farriers in the area.

Good luck!

Solomon

Visit site
There isn't anything happening with the horse at the mo - he's having a break for the winter. I have been sold a horse not as described and have reasons for needing to know more information on him which I can't go into on a public forum. I know exactly where I stand with the law as I am a Law Clerk and as I'm not based on the mainland it is very hard for me to make any enquiries other than via sites like this. He is posted on all tracing equine sites that I can find and I have made enquires at various yards. everyone I have spoken to has been really helpful.

Solomon

Visit site
Thanks for your messages of Good Luck. I have tried pony club and bsja and can only trace back about 3/4 years through BSJA and have managed to trace back about 5/6 years through Farmkey. I'm not that interested in what he had done but his exact age, breeding and some veterinary history if at all possible

Skhosu

Visit site
TBH I think you'd be lucky! That's a lot more history than I know about any of mine.
Why would you need to know more?
HAs he veterinary issues? HAve you tried contacting past owners?

Weezy

Visit site
Forget about the vet info - even if you DO find out the previous vets they will not give you any info - sad state of affairs but true unfortunately - if the previous owners wont help you then I am afraid you should prob call a day on your investigations
frown.gif

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Well said Weezy -

I always try and focus on the horse now.

Would be really interesting to know why you are so interested in his past though Soloman - and the issues you are having. You are clearly upset! I was with my horse's problems and the advice from the forum really helped.

X

xspiralx

I can't see how finding out info from before 2005 would be a reason for a "sudden" change in your horse?

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I can also confirm the vets will not pass on any information. I wish you luck because understanding thier past can help with understanding what is going on now. Shadow came with a huge amount of baggage, yet I know from her breeder that she was fine upto the age of 3yrs. Her next owner started her & again there seems to be no issues. She was sold on again to someone who competed her now whether she sold her because she had started to have problems I dont know, but she then went onto someone who changed her from a snaffle to a bitless bridle, they must have started to have real problems with her as she was then sold to a dealer. Now I know the dealer just left her in a field to get over it. The mare was nightmare to bridle, but does now accept a snaffle with no problems. She was very nappy, hated poles & was generaly a pain. Over time she has made huge improvements even going round an 18in clear round. Now though she seems to be going all hormonal. If you know the history it can help understand the horse/pony. I wish you all the best & hope you find out what you need to know.

the watcher

Visit site
If you have been sold a horse which is not as described there is a potential line of enquiry through Trading Standards in the area where you purchased it, or if what you are suggesting is closer to a criminal deception then obviously the Police in that area would have powers to obtain information in the pursuit of a prosecution.

Unfortuantely cryptic appeals for info with no background do tend to wind people up a bit..for example somebody on here might know one of the names you have posted as previous owners but might not wish to get in touch if they fear that their friends are going to get into some kind of trouble.

Please pm me if you want more specific advice

Parkranger

Visit site
All I can say is I understand how frustrating it is! My boy came from Ireland earlier this year but the sellers/dealers will not give me any info on him prior to me having him.

Decided just to let it go now and enjoy my horse - sometimes it's best not to know! x

the watcher

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think you'll find that's why she needs the info.

It can be hard to prove a horses age except via a breeder or vetinary redords...

[/ QUOTE ]

then she will have to report it and go through the proper channels..data protection and many other things mean that the info is impossible to obtain without a proper investigation

Safina

Visit site
I had a 14 hh Dun Gelding called Sam (show name Taiwan Sam at the time) about 17 years ago - we had him on loan and he came from the Newbury area.

He was naughty - very very naughty. From memory I think he might have had a white star but I'm not 100% sure as it was yonks ago.

Any help?

Solomon

Visit site
I don't feel that any of my messages have been cryptic. My quest for information is because I want to know exactly how much he has been passed around. I know that the vets won't pass any information on directly due to the Data Protection Laws but I know that I am able to apply for information through my vet with the previous owners permission. None of the people I mentioned are in any kind of trouble. I have spoken to each and every one personally and was hoping that by mentioning the names it may jog peoples memories as to who my pony may actually be. This quest is not just for me but for my daughter who is distraught as we don't actually know his real background and even if we have his name right. Sorry if I annoyed anyone - I didn't mean to.

sojeph

Visit site
Can't imagine in a million years why anything you've said should be annoying people
crazy.gif

Good luck with your search
grin.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Can't imagine in a million years why anything you've said should be annoying people
crazy.gif

Good luck with your search
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that too!