The Dun Thing

Agent XXX999

Visit site
You didn’t annoy me I just thought your post was really aggressive and I was only trying to help you.

I can understand why you want to know (I always tend to get my horses young to avoid this sort of thing…) however.

With regards to vets you are out of luck. I wrote a letter to Horse and Hound 3 weeks ago which was published, stating that IMO the new owners of any horse should also be able to buy their history – and I think it is detrimental to horses that they might have to go through repeated/unnecessary treatment with a new owner. If you are not having specific veterinary issues though, I think the chances of you getting any information, on or off the record, are slim to none.

If it is a behaviour thing, then IMO you need to focus on overcoming the issue and work with your horse to find a solution for you both that works. I know that it would be beneficial to know your horses past when you want to solve a particular issue, but sometimes I think it is better to focus your attention on overcoming the issues you are having, not what may or may not have happened in the past in order for you to solve it.

I understand that you and your daughter must be really heartbroken if things are not going right with your pony. If things are not going to plan with him. I have learnt, the hard way unfortunately, that it is always better to look forward and never back. You might find it difficult when you deal with old owners as often they are unwilling to help new ones. I will admit to this – I help to a limit with horses I have sold but if I got a phone call a number of years later asking why the horse I sold had a problem I would probably not know the answer for a start as a lot can happen in a month, let alone a year or two.

Lots of horses are sold with no history, but yours looks really genuine – he has been placed BSJA so he is clearly talented. You clearly made a decision to buy the pony based on his merits and what you saw at the time of viewing – so hopefully he is a nice sort. I hope you can work out whatever problems you are having. As I said before, if you can post more details, people on this forum are really helpful. I managed to buy a horse with loss of use (with the help of my instructor and her mother) so I know mistakes can be made!

wildpinksalmon

Visit site
mmmmmmmmmm slightly confused by your research regarding Shadow!!! Since I was the person who put you intouch with the seller of said horse from a friend who happens to be a farmer/livery yard owner and not a dealer as stated!! said person actually had Shadow at his yard as a livery with the owner, when bills ect were not paid and owner left leaving horse as payment for the debt he actually spent a lot of time with this mare and did not just turn her loose in field as stated she was always in the stable being constantly fed rugged/unrugged when required and groomed daily hence the beautifull condition she was in when you went to see her, and hence the fact he sold this horse to you at a cost of covering his losses owed to him rather than a much higher price that a dealer would have sold her at and to which she would have been worth (even with her issue regarding a bit) this yard owner also payed from his own pocket to have this horses teeth done and have her pole checked and back in case these were factors regarding the bit......................seems to me this person done an awfull lot considering he just being a dealer chucked this horse out into a field to get on with it!!!!!!!!!!!! true facts are always the better ones dont you think????

dieseldog

Visit site
If you are considering legal action there are really only 4 things you can sue on.

It's the wrong age - but without a proper papers issued at birth no vet will age a horse reliably

It's performance record isn't what it should be - but you've traced that thru the BSJA already.

It's got behavioural issues - but if it was fine when you got it they'll blame your handling on it's change in character.

It's got something physically wrong with it - did you have it vetted when you bought him?

If you've managed to trace him back quite a few years and all the old owners have said good things about him (?) I can't see legally where you can claim.

I hope you sort it out whatever your problem is and good luck