The face of remorse...ish

P3LH

Visit site
...I do believe this face says ‘I have made a terrible mistake...but I regret nothing’

Someone got into (tore their way into like a rodent) and ate a considerable amount of a bag of dog food today...she has been on a diet as has gotten a little stout over Christmas and despite popular misconceptions, Pembroke corgi’s shouldn’t be fat. I feel this is her get back at me.

She had already committed a crime today by deciding, aged 19 months, that she doesn’t like nail clippers even being near her (snarling at the sight of them) and trying to give a manicure resulted in nearly losing some fingers...

will she ever play by the rules? Will she ever not give me the stink eye of - it’s a no from me spoken through those dusty Springfield esque peepers? Will she ever accept that she actually has to follow ALL of my rules not just the ones that she can be bothered with? Will she ever be as placid and obedient as her siblings?

The rough collies shove their extraordinarily long noses up in the air in disgust at all of her antics and don’t often like to be associated with her - they are far too regal, dignified and good for such shenanigans. I do believe they’d think of her as a common ladette if they were humans.

And I am considering one day allowing her to do her bit for the populis and produce more like her...I must be insane....as she is like her dam and grand dam (typically siblings are all like sire - super chilled!)...that bitch line...what was I thinking...

Attachments

• 2FA61980-8178-4A33-8B04-D648CBD6E790.jpeg
    2FA61980-8178-4A33-8B04-D648CBD6E790.jpeg
    618.5 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
She had already committed a crime today by deciding, aged 19 months, that she doesn’t like nail clippers even being near her

Do you think the clippers are causing her discomfort? Have you tried a Dremel?

I used a Dremel in the past with other dogs but with this dog being sound sensitive I started her with guillotine clippers, unfortunately this resulted in split nails so I changed to large Millers Forge. She became reluctant to have her nails clipped and I think it was because the clippers squeezed her nails. We've just successfully transitioned to a Dremel and she is happy to have a pedicure once more.

P3LH

Visit site
Do you think the clippers are causing her discomfort? Have you tried a Dremel?

I used a Dremel in the past with other dogs but with this dog being sound sensitive I started her with guillotine clippers, unfortunately this resulted in split nails so I changed to large Millers Forge. She became reluctant to have her nails clipped and I think it was because the clippers squeezed her nails. We've just successfully transitioned to a Dremel and she is happy to have a pedicure once more.
Have tried both, they aren’t a fan of the noise of the Dremel, the rough collies in particular can’t cope with the noise. These aren't guillotine type clippers, like secateurs almost with the guard to only take a little bit. It’s strange she was never bothered by it before (one of the few things she didn’t throw her weight around over) so who knows. We’ll try again in another day, I’ve learned with her no two days are ever the same.

P3LH

Visit site
She is far too beautiful to be sorry for anything:oops::)
Sadly she has always been well aware of this and thus more full of herself than even the average corgi (who are all full of themselves anyway!) when I went to her breeders at Ryslip to meet her it was as if she knew I was there to see her and and her alone, to seewhat we made of each other. As the three red and white sisters clambered over each other for my attention, she sat and surveyed me with a strange sort of knowing stare...then after a few head tilts came and sat in my lap, sniffed me and gave a huff as if to resign to the fact we would be a part of each other’s lives. I got a lick on the nose and she settled in against my chest. She had a reputation as a hell raiser even then so her breeder, Liz (Cartledge not Windsor - Gin isn’t that posh a corgi) at seeing this interaction said ‘now you’ll have to take her - she clearly tolerated you more than others!’
She has spent every day since arguing with me and proving I am wrong and she is right. Which is part of what makes her ever so bloomin special.

Attachments

• A595E4A8-99AA-48CD-B3FB-8142F9379725.jpeg
    A595E4A8-99AA-48CD-B3FB-8142F9379725.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
When ever you post pictures of her I realise that I have never considered corgis as a potential breed - and I think I've been missing out somewhere along the line. She just looks and sounds like my kind of dog.
This exactly! She sounds so full of character, just like our Suzie who we miss dreadfully.
Luke, I love your corgi stories. I'm so glad you are considering breeding, seriously I'd like to put my name down for a puppy.

P3LH

Visit site
When ever you post pictures of her I realise that I have never considered corgis as a potential breed - and I think I've been missing out somewhere along the line. She just looks and sounds like my kind of dog.

I harboured a fondness for them for a long time. Unlike a lot of their recent found fan base it wasn’t so much the fact they are ‘cute and a bit funny looking’ nor star in a the crown. It was their character that got my attention. They always seemed to just take life in, soak everything up and go about things in their own way - and their is a confidence there that is hard to not get addicted too. I researched for years and knew ‘one day’ but then ‘one day’ came via strange circumstances (losing a young dog unexpectedly - three is my magic number) so we decided to look a bit more closely.

I had quite specific criteria. Then breed has a lot of variation in type. The obvious - show bred versus crap on websites like pets4homes, but even the good stuff varies a lot. I wanted a traditional looking dog, not too long, not too low, not too BIG either - I wanted some legs, I didn’t want a belly dragging on the floor, and of course it had to be tri.

trying to make links with breeders was like trying to infiltrate the mafia. I found a breeder who’s dogs I really liked and she had sixty plus years experience - given her reputation I didn’t think I stood a chance. I made contact and we talked corgi’s, and dogs in general, at length and I must have passed the test as was invited to meet madam. Strangely enough she had been reserved since birth but back word had been given on the morning I made contact to talk dogs more than seeking a puppy. But she knew I wanted a tri and she said she thought we might match

She was a horrible pup, I won’t lie. She was obnoxious, snappy and bit hard (not puppy stuff), wanted to own everything, wanted to guard everything and was basically a terrible brat. She had an extra dose of corgi bossiness and threw her weight around from day one. She wasn’t very loving or even very nice for months. It’s taken a lot of work, and I’ve had lots of fabulous support from her breeder and the corgi people as I call them - the network of people who own dogs in partnership eith her from the line, and hard work pays off - she is ace.

She originally was going to be a school therapy dog and come to work with me, it didn’t quite work out with covid - and she had a bad experience on holiday with a child who got in her face on the beach and spooked her.

In all fairness, all that aside - she is a bossy Sherman tank and she senses weakness too much to fulfil the career path - she is pushy and bolshy with ‘some people’ if she can get away with it she will. and knows how to pick her audience. It’s funny, even with my OH, she does things she’d never do with me. She really is a great reader of people, and knows who to push and who not too. She sees life as me; then her, then the rest of the world. She will do anything I ask her - within reason, but for others shrugs it off. Sometimes OH, or mum who dog sits will spend ages calling her name in from the garden - for her ears to twitch to prove she hears but is blanking, and I will whistle and she will saunter in straight away. She is funny and very particular.

They are stubborn; you have to be consistent and firm and even then there is often negotiation. They can be pig headed and will always think they are right about things. They actively sulk when told off. They are difficult to motivate, but pick things up super quick - she is by far the brightest dog I’ve ever owned. Equally they pick up bad habits easy too, I made mistakes eith her that I still see now. They make choices. They read a room better than a therapist. They ‘know things’ and they can be pushy and relentless. They also shed a lot and like to be dirty.

HOWEVER....

Find a well bred one, with breeders who understand how the breed ticks and has this at the fore front of any mating, train one well, ensure they know that although you’re willing to negotiate how you get there - you’re still both going to get to where you want to be, love them for their quirks, find what motivates them and what ‘makes them tick’ and you have a dog that never fails to make you laugh, a dog who is as bright as they come and a dog who takes as much life as you throw at it, or as little. I always say she does things I only wish I could get away with in life, which is probably part of the attraction.

I often say where other dogs walk into a room and would struggle to negotiate terms to even be able to rent it, a corgi walks in and owns it. A breeder once told me they are German shepherds sawn off at the knee - I would agree, with a slight terrierness.

They are HUGE characters, and actually despite a lot of their quirks - are generally really easy to live with. They like attention and affection but equally like their space. Some lines really still carry the fact they are a stock dog, her bitch line is one. She is incredibly loving, fiercely loyal but equally bossy, argumentative and doesn’t suffer fools easily. We are very similar, and everyone always jokes that we morph into one as she follows me as I stomp around ranting about something from work, complaining about something broken in the garden, or obtuse substitutes on the online shopping order.

There must be something there - I have her husband lined up so I can take a pup from her, should I ever be brave enough. We shall see. Either way, there’ll be more of them here - I know of future plans for the line so the options are still there either way :)

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
This exactly! She sounds so full of character, just like our Suzie who we miss dreadfully.
Luke, I love your corgi stories. I'm so glad you are considering breeding, seriously I'd like to put my name down for a puppy.
Thank you. That is very kind. She really hasn’t been easy, and I don’t think she ever will be straightforward - she is a complex soul, but she is worth it.
The dog I have in mind as a sire is a US import from similar lines to her but far enough out, though she was a total outcross from a NZ import sire. They would compliment each other well, but we shall see what the future holds about the whole idea. I know what I would like from a line, but circumstances may intervene. It would be lovely though, she has a lot to offer with the pedigree behind her and being a total outcross thus new blood into the gene pool.
Either way, there’ll be more pembrokes here. Probably from the same, or similar, line.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I harboured a fondness for them for a long time. Unlike a lot of their recent found fan base it wasn’t so much the fact they are ‘cute and a bit funny looking’ nor star in a the crown. It was their character that got my attention. They always seemed to just take life in, soak everything up and go about things in their own way - and their is a confidence there that is hard to not get addicted too. I researched for years and knew ‘one day’ but then ‘one day’ came via strange circumstances (losing a young dog unexpectedly - three is my magic number) so we decided to look a bit more closely.

I had quite specific criteria. Then breed has a lot of variation in type. The obvious - show bred versus crap on websites like pets4homes, but even the good stuff varies a lot. I wanted a traditional looking dog, not too long, not too low, not too BIG either - I wanted some legs, I didn’t want a belly dragging on the floor, and of course it had to be tri.

trying to make links with breeders was like trying to infiltrate the mafia. I found a breeder who’s dogs I really liked and she had sixty plus years experience - given her reputation I didn’t think I stood a chance. I made contact and we talked corgi’s, and dogs in general, at length and I must have passed the test as was invited to meet madam. Strangely enough she had been reserved since birth but back word had been given on the morning I made contact to talk dogs more than seeking a puppy. But she knew I wanted a tri and she said she thought we might match

She was a horrible pup, I won’t lie. She was obnoxious, snappy and bit hard (not puppy stuff), wanted to own everything, wanted to guard everything and was basically a terrible brat. She had an extra dose of corgi bossiness and threw her weight around from day one. She wasn’t very loving or even very nice for months. It’s taken a lot of work, and I’ve had lots of fabulous support from her breeder and the corgi people as I call them - the network of people who own dogs in partnership eith her from the line, and hard work pays off - she is ace.

She originally was going to be a school therapy dog and come to work with me, it didn’t quite work out with covid - and she had a bad experience on holiday with a child who got in her face on the beach and spooked her.

In all fairness, all that aside - she is a bossy Sherman tank and she senses weakness too much to fulfil the career path - she is pushy and bolshy with ‘some people’ if she can get away with it she will. and knows how to pick her audience. It’s funny, even with my OH, she does things she’d never do with me. She really is a great reader of people, and knows who to push and who not too. She sees life as me; then her, then the rest of the world. She will do anything I ask her - within reason, but for others shrugs it off. Sometimes OH, or mum who dog sits will spend ages calling her name in from the garden - for her ears to twitch to prove she hears but is blanking, and I will whistle and she will saunter in straight away. She is funny and very particular.

They are stubborn; you have to be consistent and firm and even then there is often negotiation. They can be pig headed and will always think they are right about things. They actively sulk when told off. They are difficult to motivate, but pick things up super quick - she is by far the brightest dog I’ve ever owned. Equally they pick up bad habits easy too, I made mistakes eith her that I still see now. They make choices. They read a room better than a therapist. They ‘know things’ and they can be pushy and relentless. They also shed a lot and like to be dirty.

HOWEVER....

Find a well bred one, with breeders who understand how the breed ticks and has this at the fore front of any mating, train one well, ensure they know that although you’re willing to negotiate how you get there - you’re still both going to get to where you want to be, love them for their quirks, find what motivates them and what ‘makes them tick’ and you have a dog that never fails to make you laugh, a dog who is as bright as they come and a dog who takes as much life as you throw at it, or as little. I always say she does things I only wish I could get away with in life, which is probably part of the attraction.

I often say where other dogs walk into a room and would struggle to negotiate terms to even be able to rent it, a corgi walks in and owns it. A breeder once told me they are German shepherds sawn off at the knee - I would agree, with a slight terrierness.

They are HUGE characters, and actually despite a lot of their quirks - are generally really easy to live with. They like attention and affection but equally like their space. Some lines really still carry the fact they are a stock dog, her bitch line is one. She is incredibly loving, fiercely loyal but equally bossy, argumentative and doesn’t suffer fools easily. We are very similar, and everyone always jokes that we morph into one as she follows me as I stomp around ranting about something from work, complaining about something broken in the garden, or obtuse substitutes on the online shopping order.

There must be something there - I have her husband lined up so I can take a pup from her, should I ever be brave enough. We shall see. Either way, there’ll be more of them here - I know of future plans for the line so the options are still there either way :)
I love this post. Your love for her shines through every single post you make about her.

P3LH

Visit site
I love this post. Your love for her shines through every single post you make about her.

Not everyone would, so someone has to as I often tell her!!! I adore my rough collies. They are a strange mix of horse and cat. Loving and graceful, calm and an essential component in what is often a chaotic life. Those long noses always find their way into your shoulder when needed, but pembrokes are a mix of comedy and therapy (and simultaneously the need for therapy too) in a fur coat.

BBP

Visit site
I love corgis ever since I lived next to one on a farm in NZ. He was a proper working dog and would go out and work the cattle with his boss, then come home and hang out and give me cuddles when we went round for dinner. Absolute cracker of a dog.

Moobli

Visit site
She's a beauty! You have such a wonderful way with words Luke. I always enjoy your posts (and nice to "see" you again, We both used to frequent another dog forum until the sh*t hit the fan :p).

P3LH

Visit site
She's a beauty! You have such a wonderful way with words Luke. I always enjoy your posts (and nice to "see" you again, We both used to frequent another dog forum until the sh*t hit the fan :p).

Yes, I hadn’t forgotten you don’t worry! Or that awful place. I should never have returned there after being harassed for having a dog that attacked a child PTS but i did once or twice over about two years, I felt like I needed witness protection when I left properly lol - again abusive messages. I did return when I heard about poor Phil from someone, such a shame. There were many I wish I’d kept in touch with but I only still spoke to Het who had her GSP’s after, and even then lost touch when I got rid of social media. I stopped forums because of that place, it was genuinely quite bad for my mental health. I lurked here for years before ever posting, but it seemed a more sensible, realistic and measured place so I think I might stay.

I was so sorry to hear about Zak too, I remember when he first came to you. You didn’t see WL dogs much then. I still routinely tell me OH about your Flame too, still the most beautiful GSD I ever did see.

The RC boys say hello - Hunter is 10 now. I don’t know where that time went. He’s a bit deaf nowadays, still cranky with Cooper, but can still move like the clappers when he wants too - and still likes the sound of his own voice too much. I see the breed had changed even MORE since all those years ago now - though thankfully the kennels who were starting to ‘get it right’ then have continued too. There are some really nice roughs out there now. Coats still too big for me though. I’ve been spoilt with Cooper being out of smooths and having the old coat, couldn’t go through the big coat again.
Your little people must not be as little as I remember!

Attachments

• 04DE3FE9-1D45-45C2-89F2-8B8C39343AA2.jpeg
    04DE3FE9-1D45-45C2-89F2-8B8C39343AA2.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 05DC2FB9-3130-43C5-9AE6-A3155B665F56.jpeg
    05DC2FB9-3130-43C5-9AE6-A3155B665F56.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 424172BB-C5B7-42C5-9AD6-BB5969D54966.jpeg
    424172BB-C5B7-42C5-9AD6-BB5969D54966.jpeg
    416.1 KB · Views: 19

misst

Visit site
Lovely pictures. The collies look like proud but slightly bemused parents. If we could have 3 dogs I would be putting in for a pup but OH says 2 is enough and he is probably right as we sit the kids dogs as well quite often.
She sounds very similar to my little Ruby who is now 16 months and finally housetrained and full recall is established. She is still a thief and a terror and is so badly behaved a lot of the time barking, stealing, causing general chaos and annoying her big brother. Like you we laugh every single day and she has been a real consolation for the loss of our old girlie and a delightful entertainment in lockdown. She is also the hardest to train, worst behaved and stubborn dog we have ever owned - so I know where you are coming from. Keep posting please :)

Moobli

Visit site
Yes, I hadn’t forgotten you don’t worry! Or that awful place. I should never have returned there after being harassed for having a dog that attacked a child PTS but i did once or twice over about two years, I felt like I needed witness protection when I left properly lol - again abusive messages. I did return when I heard about poor Phil from someone, such a shame. There were many I wish I’d kept in touch with but I only still spoke to Het who had her GSP’s after, and even then lost touch when I got rid of social media. I stopped forums because of that place, it was genuinely quite bad for my mental health. I lurked here for years before ever posting, but it seemed a more sensible, realistic and measured place so I think I might stay.

I was so sorry to hear about Zak too, I remember when he first came to you. You didn’t see WL dogs much then. I still routinely tell me OH about your Flame too, still the most beautiful GSD I ever did see.

The RC boys say hello - Hunter is 10 now. I don’t know where that time went. He’s a bit deaf nowadays, still cranky with Cooper, but can still move like the clappers when he wants too - and still likes the sound of his own voice too much. I see the breed had changed even MORE since all those years ago now - though thankfully the kennels who were starting to ‘get it right’ then have continued too. There are some really nice roughs out there now. Coats still too big for me though. I’ve been spoilt with Cooper being out of smooths and having the old coat, couldn’t go through the big coat again.
Your little people must not be as little as I remember!

Beautiful dogs and photos Luke, it is especially nice to see Hunter and Cooper again. Cooper was just a youngster the last time I saw him I think. Hunter is looking fabulous. I am friends with a shepherdess who has the most amazing working rough and was very tempted by a son of his last year but decided the coat would be just too much. I don't intend to have another longcoated shepherd because of the grooming so never mind a rough lol. Yes it turned into a terrible place to be but is completely dead since we all did the mass exit. It was devastating to lose Zak at just 8 years, but Flame was 14 when she left me so a good age for a shepherd. It is lovely you remember them both. Wills is now 18 and just started a shepherding job up in the Cairngorms and Ben is now 13 and loves the GSDs almost as much as me so definitely a chip off the old block. Good to catch up with you x

P3LH

Visit site
Beautiful dogs and photos Luke, it is especially nice to see Hunter and Cooper again. Cooper was just a youngster the last time I saw him I think. Hunter is looking fabulous. I am friends with a shepherdess who has the most amazing working rough and was very tempted by a son of his last year but decided the coat would be just too much. I don't intend to have another longcoated shepherd because of the grooming so never mind a rough lol. Yes it turned into a terrible place to be but is completely dead since we all did the mass exit. It was devastating to lose Zak at just 8 years, but Flame was 14 when she left me so a good age for a shepherd. It is lovely you remember them both. Wills is now 18 and just started a shepherding job up in the Cairngorms and Ben is now 13 and loves the GSDs almost as much as me so definitely a chip off the old block. Good to catch up with you x
Yes Cooper is 8 this year!! Would they rough be Tully by any chance? He has some lanlin dogs (hunters line) further back. I used to follow his exploits when I had social media but I don’t use those platforms anymore either.
I can’t believe your boys are quite so grown up. Time really does fly!

Moobli

Visit site
Yes Cooper is 8 this year!! Would they rough be Tully by any chance? He has some lanlin dogs (hunters line) further back. I used to follow his exploits when I had social media but I don’t use those platforms anymore either.
I can’t believe your boys are quite so grown up. Time really does fly!

Yes it is Tully :)