The farrier came today, now the horse in lame!!!

Gucci_b

Visit site
The farrier came today to shoe my mare, Turned her in the field aferwards, went home as you do, came back after lunch and there she was Lame, Front left. Called the vet, gave the mare bute, (for pain) Call him back (he came a few hrs later) took the shoe off, placed a rubber sole on her foot after pinching her foot to say " yer that's the foot!" then put her shoe on and off he went. Did'nt even get a refund....The poor horse looks in pain too, have put a deep bedding in her stable... HAS THIS HAPPEND TO YOU!!, what else can I do for the horse..

Bossanova

Visit site
He probs got a nail in a bit close, bad idea to bute without knowing exactly where as it's then harder to tell.
Farrier probs knows best, vet wont be able to do much.

Gucci_b

Visit site
No nail in wrong, he fit the shoe to tight (he said) vet said to bute, and he agreed with vet, he pinch the foot and the horse let him no it was that foot... that seemed to be the problem.

Nailed

Visit site
A shoe on too tight will be right in a couple of days... Removing the shoe and putting a pad on with make the mare right. Bute her for a couple of days then take it off and work as normal.

It is an easy thing to do and it is quite common, but i tell you now, people would keep whinging if there shoes kept falling off.

I wouldnt give a refund either! Its alot of work to refund for a tight shoe.

Lou x

ginnyspinner

Visit site
The first time farrier shod my TB he came in hopping lame from the field - I panicked, phoned farrier who told me it was 'nail-bind'. Said would be fine by the next morning - which it was! No bute, no shoe removal, just boxed overnight. That set of shoes actually stopped on a whole 6 weeks!!!

Gucci_b

Visit site
Can't take the pad off, as under the shoe & farrier gone on his hol's now for a week or so...should the pad come off then!!!

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk

Has he only put a pad on one foot??
Wont that make the horse slightly off balanced???

My horse went lame once after being shod and I just put it down to the nails being a bit tight, put him in the field for the night and he was fine the next day and competing that weekend.

Nailed

Visit site
no i am saying that taking the shoe off and putting it back on will have releive the pressure, therefore the horse should come sound it a couple of days. It is easy done.
Lou x