The finest blindness

P3LH

Visit site
I have said. Write that this is the only online forum I frequent, because I feel you all have sense and there is always room for a healthy, and balanced, debate. And I certainly don’t do social media.

HOWEVER

a friend linked me to an online discussion on a well known platform earlier today. It was talking about breed type and preservation breeding. It actually made quite interesting reading but ONE comment made me laugh, cry and be angered simultaneously.

A dachshund breeder from overseas had responded to the thread and stated with the rise in popularity of dachshunds, there are so many issues arising and so many people who just don’t understand the breed. I read on with interest, thinking ‘how refreshing to find a breeder of a breed that doesn’t come without issue (as so many do) and recognises that) but alas. No, it wasn’t concern about back issues, the fact most breeders say don’t even let the dogs jump off your lap, about the problems with the trend for dilute blues or the indiscriminate breeding for the pet market.

No.

The issue was ‘people who didn’t know the breed wanting to make it something it wasn’t’, and referencing a number of photos of the Queen of Denmark (a famous dachshund lover who (IMO) has fabulous dogs who look like they could definitely still do the job) and her dogs, stating how if royals endorsed the type breeders wanted to breed away from what chance did others have.

I won’t post photo incase it’s a copyright issue, but here’s a link to one of the images. Of the type that is so abhorrent to a prominent European dachshund breeder (its great what Google can do)

https://www.shutterstock.com/editor...t-grasten-palace-denmark-25-jul-2015-4914780r

It genuinely worries me, not just with dachshunds - I don’t want to pick on them and after all I own a dwarf breed that, by some breeders, has been drastically exaggerated - that some breeders, even long time breeders, can’t see the wood for the trees.

I wonder what the future holds for so many breeds we know and love so much.

Parrotperson

Visit site
agreed. Lockdown hasn't helped with anybody breeding anything. I've seen so many dachshunds in the small ads. And many bulldogs, French and other with obvious breathing issues. Very sad. Those dachshunds of the Danish royal family look a much better type. good for her.

skinnydipper

Visit site
It genuinely worries me, not just with dachshunds - I don’t want to pick on them and after all I own a dwarf breed that, by some breeders, has been drastically exaggerated - that some breeders, even long time breeders, can’t see the wood for the trees.

The Norwegian Society for Protection of Animals is taking the Norwegian Kennel Club, two breed clubs and 6 breeders to court.

https://www.dbrg.uk/news/norwegian-...o-prosecute-breeders-who-breed-unhealthy-dogs

https://www.dyrebeskyttelsen.no/aerlig-talt-english/the-first-lawsuit-updates

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I kinda get where she is coming from, my own breed has been changed beyond all recognition by people going for big black and bright red bear-headed dogs with a hinge in their back that can't stand up straight, HUGE 'old fashioned, straight backed' colour pale giants with soft ears and awful temperaments, or neurotic 100-point dogs that look and act like Malinois and have to be kept crated all the time or they'll eat your house and have no sense of self-preservation whatsoever. None of those things is correct, all of those things carry associated health risks - if you breed for one thing (colour, angles, height, flashy movement, high energy, BIG PAWS) at the expense of other things. All of these things are pure trends and trying to make the breed something it isn't.
When the breed is supposed to be a medium-large, unflappable, 'jack of all trades' that can easily live in an active pet/family home.
Pandering to one market isn't good for the long-term health of any breed.

Last edited:

skinnydipper

Visit site
Last edited: