The Foodbank

Esmae

Visit site
Just to be clear, I do not need the services of the foodbank nor wish to find a way to use it. However, upon reading something locally I am wondering what the criteria is for availing yourself of the foodbank. Does anyone know? Can anyone please explain it to me?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It can vary from FB to FB. Many need a referral from another agency e.g. Job Centre, GP, Church, Social Services. When I worked in a school we referred families to the local Church, who then referred formally to the FB. A referral allowed 3 visits per week to the FB.

However others work differently. There is a shop locally that operates a FB, which no-one needs a referral to, you just go in and ask. Then just a couple of miles from that shop there is a Community Shop which has very limited opening hours, where people can buy e.g £20 food for £5. All accept donations of goods.
Just imagine being so desperate to be able to provide a meal for your family that you are willing to accept a package from a FB.

OP, if you want to know more, Google The Trussel Trust, many FBs are associated with the TT.

Last edited:

Esmae

Visit site
Thank you guys. That is interesting. I was interested in general. I had assumed there was a general rule. Apparently not. I feel that maybe there should be, in view of the bloke wandering about the local social club with a carrier bag full of pies asking if anyone wanted one as he had been given them by the local foodbank. I didn't feel that this was quite the spirit of it all. I am all for helping anyone out but feel that maybe there is a proportion of the population taking the mickey. Thoughts?

Upthecreek

Visit site
I think the specific criteria would depend who the foodbank is run by (community, church, charity etc). Many require a referral from GP, Social Worker or Citizens Advice and a voucher is provided for the local foodbank after the individual has shown they are on a low income or suffering some form of temporary financial hardship. They need to get a voucher each time they need to use the foodbank. I have heard of some run by schools that don’t ask any questions about finances.

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Most need a referral. This can usually be from social services, citizens' advice, a GP, Housing Associations, social workers . Ours takes self-referrals - you just walk in, but I think that's less usual.

Regards your bloke - I think he was telling porkies! 🥧 No food bank would give someone a bag of a lot of one thing.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Thank you guys. That is interesting. I was interested in general. I had assumed there was a general rule. Apparently not. I feel that maybe there should be, in view of the bloke wandering about the local social club with a carrier bag full of pies asking if anyone wanted one as he had been given them by the local foodbank. I didn't feel that this was quite the spirit of it all. I am all for helping anyone out but feel that maybe there is a proportion of the population taking the mickey. Thoughts?

It’s a difficult one. Many people on a low income manage their money well and can afford to buy food. Some people on a low income may choose to prioritise spending their money on other things than food, knowing they can get food from a foodbank.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Do you donate to the food bank? Of so ask them next time you donate, if not myob.
I presume you have a view regarding the deserving and the undeserving poor. Perhaps those in need of support should all live in the same building, where they can be supervised and maybe do some work in return for that support, those used to be known as workhouses.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It is rare for FBs to have fresh goods available, most donations are tinned/dried goods with a long shelf life. It may be that this instance was a one off and the pies needed to be eaten on the day, so were sent out purposely with this man to be shared with those who wanted one, so as not to waste them.
I would imagine that the donor had been informed that the pies would have to be shared in this way.

meleeka

Visit site
The one near me doesn’t ask for proof of anything but your address. They are given loads of food, so if a handful of people use it who shouldn’t be, I don’t think it makes much difference. They aren’t taking food away from the needy, there seems to be enough for everyone.

It’s not like you can go in and shop like a supermarket. There isn’t massive choice involved. Presumably if you are in need you’d be happy with the basics or something you might not choose yourself, but don’t dislike. One thing I wish is that there was more fruit and healthy options, but obviously things with a short shelf are more difficult to stock. It would be quite unusual for them to have chilled pies I think.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
It’s a difficult one. Many people on a low income manage their money well and can afford to buy food. Some people on a low income may choose to prioritise spending their money on other things than food, knowing they can get food from a foodbank.
And some simply don't have enough money. Zero hours contracts can mean that some weeks there is very little work, so very little pay. I dont have a reference but I heard only the other day on a news programme that UC is less than the amount officially declared necessary to meet utility bills/rent etc (by ONS?)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The one near me doesn’t ask for proof of anything but your address. They are given loads of food, so if a handful of people use it who shouldn’t be, I don’t think it makes much difference. They aren’t taking food away from the needy, there seems to be enough for everyone.

It’s not like you can go in and shop like a supermarket. There isn’t massive choice involved. Presumably if you are in need you’d be happy with the basics or something you might not choose yourself, but don’t dislike. One thing I wish is that there was more fruit and healthy options, but obviously things with a short shelf are more difficult to stock. It would be quite unusual for them to have chilled pies I think.
And I cannot see a FB handing multiple fresh pies to one client expecting him to eat them all himself.

Esmae

Visit site
Do you donate to the food bank? Of so ask them next time you donate, if not myob.
I presume you have a view regarding the deserving and the undeserving poor. Perhaps those in need of support should all live in the same building, where they can be supervised and maybe do some work in return for that support, those used to be known as workhouses.
Well thanks for that. How helpful. Yes I have donated to foodbanks, although I had no idea that this was a criteria for asking a question. Silly me. I really don't feel that it is up to anyone to presume what view I may or may not have. I merely asked a question, that is all. Is that okay with you?

Upthecreek

Visit site
And some simply don't have enough money. Zero hours contracts can mean that some weeks there is very little work, so very little pay. I dont have a reference but I heard only the other day on a news programme that UC is less than the amount officially declared necessary to meet utility bills/rent etc (by ONS?)

Absolutely. The majority of users of foodbanks are in genuine need. Some are not. But unless you are going to ask users to show their bank statements as proof of their income and expenditure you have no way of knowing.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Well thanks for that. How helpful. Yes I have donated to foodbanks, although I had no idea that this was a criteria for asking a question. Silly me. I really don't feel that it is up to anyone to presume what view I may or may not have. I merely asked a question, that is all. Is that okay with you?
I replied to your question, the permission to post comes from hho. provided posters don't breach the it's and c's, all posters have the ability to post ad they wish.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
One of the local ones near me is run by a church and doesn't have any particular criteria.

I've walked past on the days they operate in the evening and leftovers are in trays for anyone to help themselves. Usually bread and other bakery goods or veg and I've seen prepacked sandwiches too.

So it would be possible for there to be pies there and a lot to be picked up by one person. if they got to that point and are closing, perhaps they would give it to someone. Leaving it out runs the risk of it being rained on or rats and if it's something that will spoil any destination is better than the bin

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
One of the local ones near me is run by a church and doesn't have any particular criteria.

I've walked past on the days they operate in the evening and leftovers are in trays for anyone to help themselves. Usually bread and other bakery goods or veg and I've seen prepacked sandwiches too.

So it would be possible for there to be pies there and a lot to be picked up by one person. if they got to that point and are closing, perhaps they would give it to someone. Leaving it out runs the risk of it being rained on or rats and if it's something that will spoil any destination is better than the bin
Any destination is better than the bin

^^^^
This, in spades.

Esmae

Visit site
I replied to your question, the permission to post comes from hho. provided posters don't breach the it's and c's, all posters have the ability to post ad they wish.
You didn't actually answer the question I posed. You appeared to be deliberately confrontational. Not necessary. I am aware of the rules of the forum.

BarchanDune

Visit site
Had they got confused between a foodbank and a pantry? In my local town we have both:
  1. Foodbank - gives out food parcels, mostly longlife / tinned food, needs a referral from GP / social services etc, run by the Trussel Trust. Aims to help people in need
  2. Pantry - redistributes left over fresh food from supermarkets, shops, bakeries etc. Open to everyone, take what you want, and no guarantees what will be available. Aims to reduce food waste
They are two different things, with two different aims / objectives.

I'm Dun

Visit site

they will have come from a community type pantry/foodbank. I've often been and collected things and distributed them around my neighbours. They encourage you to do so. Their mission is to feed people, but also to avoid food waste so a slightly different aim than a food bank which is to avoid people going hungry.

A food bank wouldn't give someone a bag of the same things.

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
Goodness gosh, better stop the presses, we have our next shock headline, esteemed lemons and cantaloupes! "Man attempts to redistribute surplus food amongst the local population instead of hoarding for himself or binning it!" :rolleyes:

I'm Dun

Visit site

UC for a single person is £367 a month. Out of that many people have to pay a significant amount towards rent shortfall. Theres people in my area paying £250 out of that towards rent. Good luck paying bills and eating on £117 a month, £27 a week.

Anyone thinking poor people don't manage their money should maybe set themselves the challenge of living on that for a month. For everything, clothes, toiletries, cleaning products, bus fares, gas, electric, water, phone. Good luck with that!

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've been a Volunteer at a Food Bank. Normally "clients" come with vouchers: vouchers can be issued by people like GP's, Ministers of Religion, Social Services etc. Usually clients with vouchers would only be permitted to come to the Food Bank for three separate occasions, after which time the client would need to go back to whoever issued the vouchers in the first place if they wanted to obtain some more. The vouchers are colour-coded according to the number of people in the household.

At the Food Bank I volunteered with, it would not be expected that people would self-refer and turn up without vouchers demanding food; however IF this happened Volunteers are told not to argue but to issue the person with what they require. If the person is aggressive, abusive or threatening then the police may be called.

There is also - in my local town - a Community Larder. This is separate from the foodbank and anyone can just turn-up and have whatever is there; it is usually food which supermarkets are getting rid of because of the Use-By date. No vouchers are required.

ArklePig

Visit site
Is it possible it was a community fridge @Esmae ? There's one in my friend's village that regularly has lovely fresh baked goods, other things nearing their expiration date and the local supermarket even donates bunches of fresh flowers to make way for new stock if they haven't shifted. It's free for everyone, and the stuff would go in the bin if not lifted. Just thinking it's an unusual haul from a traditional food bank.

Upthecreek

Visit site
There is a brilliant community run foodbank local to me that does a combination of foodbank and pantry. The foodbank requires a referral and users are given 4-5 days of basics/essentials, including fresh meat, fruit and vegetables. The pantry side of it is for the fresh ‘leftovers’ and is open to anyone local (they ask for proof of address), and they do ask for a donation. They have been very successful at working with local shops, supermarkets and farm shops to enable them to provide a very good service to residents going through tough times.

Upthecreek

Visit site
UC for a single person is £367 a month. Out of that many people have to pay a significant amount towards rent shortfall. Theres people in my area paying £250 out of that towards rent. Good luck paying bills and eating on £117 a month, £27 a week.

Anyone thinking poor people don't manage their money should maybe set themselves the challenge of living on that for a month. For everything, clothes, toiletries, cleaning products, bus fares, gas, electric, water, phone. Good luck with that!

See post 14. Using your argument absolutely everyone on a low income would need to use foodbanks. And they don’t. Of course it depends on individual circumstances and I was referring to people on low incomes, not specifically people on benefits. I have worked with families on low incomes who manage their money well and they have not needed to regularly use foodbanks. Also families that do use foodbanks because they just can’t make ends meet some months due to unexpected expenses. I have also worked with families on low incomes who spend money on cigarettes, alcohol, Sky TV, expensive mobile phones and the latest designer trainers and have no money left for food. Sometimes it’s a choice.

humblepie

Visit site
That is interesting re the difference between food banks and pantries - hadn't really realised re the pantry set up, so I suppose that is a bit similar to Good to Go, that the idea is not wasting food.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
See post 14. Using your argument absolutely everyone on a low income would need to use foodbanks. And they don’t. Of course it depends on individual circumstances and I was referring to people on low incomes, not specifically people on benefits. I have worked with families on low incomes who manage their money well and they have not needed to regularly use foodbanks. Also families that do use foodbanks because they just can’t make ends meet some months due to unexpected expenses. I have also worked with families on low incomes who spend money on cigarettes, alcohol, Sky TV, expensive mobile phones and the latest designer trainers and have no money left for food. Sometimes it’s a choice.
People are also different in the expenses they can't control especially accommodation.
Housing benefit depends on the local council. When I was in Brighton, Hove and Brighton councils had different policies so you actually had the situation where people in the Hove side of the street would have to contribute more to the rent than those on the Brighton side. HB can top up low income so could be applicable to working people.
Rents are getting higher and one person may be lucky and find somewhere reasonable but another might not so a higher percentage of their low income goes on rent. Then there is energy. If you have a house that is difficult to heat and can only have electricity, a bigger chunk of your income goes for that. The cost of energy also means that you might limit how much you cook. Then travel, one person may work locally, another has to travel to work. In London that might be £50 a week - that's the weekly cap for zones 1 to 3. Outside London, lack of public transport means you may need a car to work.

So while 2 sets of people are getting the same money be it a low income or benefits, some may have expenses outside their control that mean it will not be possible to manage.