The future of Acton Scot Farm

JackFrost

Visit site
Have just seen news reports about consultations on the closure of Acton Scot Farm in Shropshire. For those who don't know it, the farm is a working estate that preserves traditional farming, and was open to the public. The farm is a delight, the animals are cared for, and you could go to learn skills like ploughing with heavy horses, blacksmithing, weaving and so on. It will be tragic if it's lost, so I hope a solution is found to keep it alive for future generations.

spacefaer

Visit site
Can I add that while the estate belongs to the Acton family,c the farm is rented from them and operated by Shropshire County Council who are proposing not reopening after its shut down last summer. I gather it costs them £168.000 pa to run but the benefits to local businesses and the area in general are significant.

(Prepared to be corrected if I have mis remembered the exact amount but it's in this region!)

It was the location of the Victorian Farm series.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Can I add that while the estate belongs to the Acton family,c the farm is rented from them and operated by Shropshire County Council who are proposing not reopening after its shut down last summer. I gather it costs them £168.000 pa to run but the benefits to local businesses and the area in general are significant.

(Prepared to be corrected if I have mis remembered the exact amount but it's in this region!)

It was the location of the Victorian Farm series.

The council reports that it loses £168000 a year ?

I've sent a couple of letters about it to the council as have lots and lots of other people, but it does seem to be a done deal ?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...-fight-to-keep-bbc-victorian-farm-in-business

JackFrost

Visit site
It has given me experiences of a lifetime - the chance to plough with a pair of shires, then ride one bareback to the field, hitch a horse to a haywain and drive it round the estate. Their guy in charge of the equines is a true horseman.
It has huge value as an educational facility. I'm really hoping there is a way for it to work out for them.