The grieving process šŸ’”

P3LH

Visit site
I think a big part is making peace that we all have our time. All that matters is that the end was peaceful and dignified and the life before it was well lived and the one living it was well loved, regardless of number of years.

I lost my eldest earlier today. Heā€™d been unwell and under the vets for the last two months, but had recently picked up. Whilst it isnā€™t quite real feeling yet, I am realistic that he was nearly 13, in failing health and he passed peacefully with his head in my lap - tail still wagging.

And whilst it felt like he would go on forever, I knew that sadly he could not. He had a good long life, and died with dignity and his boots on. May we all by so lucky when our time comes, and the time for those we love.

Last edited:

P3LH

Visit site
I'm sorry for your loss, P3LH and agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments.
Thank you. He only went downhill as it were, today. The vets were wonderful, and we were all in agreement that it was simply his time. Whilst vets are marvellous and can fix many things, they canā€™t fix time. I of course shall miss him immensely, and it feels the end of an era that heā€™s the last rough (and probably the final one) owned across multi generations of my family but, he lived his life. And did so very well. And kept doing so, in a slightly stripped back way as he began to decline regular walks etc, right up until 12 hours ago when he became unwell again.

I also take comfort that prior to the last two months, heā€™d only been to the vets three times in his life - all for minor things!

tobiano1984

Visit site
I think a big part is making peace that we all have our time. All that matters is that the end was peaceful and dignified and the life before it was well lived and the one living it was well loved, regardless of number of years.

I lost my eldest earlier today. Heā€™d been unwell and under the vets for the last two months, but had recently picked up. Whilst it isnā€™t quite real feeling yet, I am realistic that he was nearly 13, in failing health and he passed peacefully with his head in my lap - tail still wagging.

And whilst it felt like he would go on forever, I knew that sadly he could not. He had a good long live, and died with dignity and his boots on. May we all by so lucky when our time comes, and the time for those we love.
So sorry for your loss, but your sentiment is so right and something we must remember x

P3LH

Visit site
I think itā€™s important to note though that grief is normal. Thereā€™s no right or wrong in terms of how it affects us all after losing one, we just have to take comfort from what we can.

I know I will still say I have three for months to come, will still wait at the back door after the corgi mafia come in, will still put our three bowls, will still call his name out when going somewhere and my mind is elsewhere etc.

it all takes time/part of the process, like with all loss.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
So sorry P3LH. We said goodbye to Ellie a couple of months ago, and my sister lost her old boy last week. Theyā€™d had George long before both their sons were born.

Ellie had lived with Mum for the last 6 months, but I still look for her when I pop into mums.

I think the one thing we all have in common on here is our love for our dogs. We know they wonā€™t be here forever, but we love them and do what is right. Some are that ā€œspecial oneā€. We have 4, and although I love them all, Bo will break me when his time comes. X

P3LH

Visit site
So sorry P3LH. We said goodbye to Ellie a couple of months ago, and my sister lost her old boy last week. Theyā€™d had George long before both their sons were born.

Ellie had lived with Mum for the last 6 months, but I still look for her when I pop into mums.

I think the one thing we all have in common on here is our love for our dogs. We know they wonā€™t be here forever, but we love them and do what is right. Some are that ā€œspecial oneā€. We have 4, and although I love them all, Bo will break me when his time comes. X

Quite - I posted something on the instagram account I have solely for dog photos (as loathe social media) which surmised things well for us as a family.

ā€˜Lower the flags to half mast.

Whilst I knew he couldnā€™t go on forever, it always felt like he would. Thought we had got through the worst during the last few weeks and would have a bit more time.

But in the end it would always be too soon - there are never enough years with a good dog. & my god was he one.ā€™

He was great, and he had a great life. Thatā€™s all that matters really. And all we can ask for.

He outlasted the original OH I bought him with (by many moons!), outlived the original old terrier lady here before him, and two younger canine contemporaries which followed. He was there for many major life events throughout my twenties into thirties, and all of the equally important stuff in between.

A real constant, so I suppose that feels very strange. I guess there comes a point when, if we are lucky, we have them for so long we take their constancy and presence for granted.

tobiano1984

Visit site
Quite - I posted something on the instagram account I have solely for dog photos (as loathe social media) which surmised things well for us as a family.

ā€˜Lower the flags to half mast.

Whilst I knew he couldnā€™t go on forever, it always felt like he would. Thought we had got through the worst during the last few weeks and would have a bit more time.

But in the end it would always be too soon - there are never enough years with a good dog. & my god was he one.ā€™

He was great, and he had a great life. Thatā€™s all that matters really. And all we can ask for.

He outlasted the original OH I bought him with (by many moons!), outlived the original old terrier lady here before him, and two younger canine contemporaries which followed. He was there for many major life events throughout my twenties into thirties, and all of the equally important stuff in between.

A real constant, so I suppose that feels very strange. I guess there comes a point when, if we are lucky, we have them for so long we take their constancy and presence for granted.

Such lovely words. And very similar with my girl - Outlasted original OH, moved from Suffolk to Kent to London with me, went through the major life changes of my late 20s and 30s, was always by my side and such a calming, constant presence. I knew she wouldn't be in my future, but when it actually happened it was still such a blow, and still is. I don't believe in human soulmates but she was definitely my soulmate through and through.