The hardest post I've ever written

3OldPonies

Visit site
I'm writing this at a time when my heart is broken. Not because I want sympathy or hugs, but because I don't want Mini P's death to be wasteful and if what happened to us can be a learning experience for me, his old owner and anyone else with or thinking of getting an American Miniature Horse then this post needs to be written. Please don't judge us for our ignorance, we simply did not know that there was this type of problem with the breed. And please forgive it for being a bit long, it's very hard to write it all down and make sense.

So, (deep breath) what happened was that at the end of last week, turned up for stables as normal in the morning to be met with 'P is dead' from my father at the gate. He was only 2 years and almost 1 month old poor little guy. He'd died in the field overnight, most likely not long before we got there as he was still warm. So I did all the things you need to do and in due course he was collected and off he went. We decided against a PM, as tbh the shock alone of what had happened was just awful enough without the little fella having that happen to him. However; his old owner being of a medical frame of mind went digging around the internet to see what she could find out about sudden death in young American Miniature Horses and this is what she found (scuse me if I ramble a bit here). From what we now know, it is most likely that he died from a tracheal collapse a result of a hereditary complaint which causes weakening of the cartilage in the trachea. Neither of us had heard of this before, though it would appear to be pretty well known in America and particularly in this breed of miniature horse. He'd always been wheezy and made noises like snoring when at rest, which is a classic symptom of this degenerative disease as the cartilage is pushed out of shape when they lie down or are relaxed, hence the wheezy snoring noises. I'd been going to get the vets to check this out when he went to be gelded in the autumn, events overtook us. Having said that, I had mentioned his breathing to the vets when they'd been out to him for vaccinations and they'd not said anything about the possibility of this either. He'd also seen vets with the previous owner and they'd not picked up on this possibility even though she had also discussed his breathing with them. There is treatment available, but from what we've read it's not always terribly successful, and in most cases the end result is the same. I just wish we'd known so that we could have at least tried to help him have a little more time at beind a lovely, gorgeous, playful little boy, enjoying the sunshine and the company of his bigger friends (not to mention the adoration of his 'fan club').

The point of this post therefore is to hopefully make more people aware of this problem, as the advice from America is not to breed from such individuals owing to the probably hereditary nature of it. If you've got this far with the thread then, thank you for taking the time to read it. I'm not trying to spread doom and gloom or tar American Minis with some kind of horrid threat hanging over them, but I just felt that this needs to be out in the open, as the issues with a lot of pedigree dogs etc are now so that perhaps it can be stamped out in the next generations. So like I said right back at the beginning, please don't judge me - I'm only trying to help others.

Last edited:

Deltic Blue

Visit site
I'm so sorry for your loss :(
Please don't beat yourself up about it though, you didn't know and you asked all the right questions of the vets when he was seen etc.

Speedyfluff

Visit site
I am so sorry. What an absolutely tragic thing to happen. I too would have had no idea and would have expected such a thing to have been picked up by the vets during routine vaccinations etc. It was not your fault. Thank you for making the rest of us aware that this condition exists in the breed.

D66

Visit site
I am so sorry. What an absolutely tragic thing to happen. I too would have had no idea and would have expected such a thing to have been picked up by the vets during routine vaccinations etc. It was not your fault. Thank you for making the rest of us aware that this condition exists in the breed.
This^^^^

Annagain

Visit site
So sorry to read this. It certainly sounds like there was nothing you could have done to prevent this. I don't think there is anything anyone could judge you for, but I understand how you feel and how difficult it must have been to write your post. Well done for trying to help others at such a difficult time for you.

soulfull

Visit site

Perfectly put. Huge hugs

Sukistokes2

Visit site
So sad, to have lost him so young. a very interesting (if sad) read and something I knew nothing about. Such a good idea to use this tragedy to bring this problem to light on this forum.

ihatework

Visit site
How very sad, I am sorry.
But this is not your fault, it's one of those rubbish things that happens and you couldn't have known.
But thank you for alerting people of the condition, we are all continually learning and I for one did not know this existed in the breed.
RIP little fella

Archangel

Visit site
Poor lad and so young. What a terrible condition - I had never heard of it before and it appears to happen in toy dog breeds as well. A sudden death is so hard to come to terms with especially when they are young and even when you know you did your very best for them. I'm very sorry for your loss, thank you for posting and raising awareness of the condition.

fatpiggy

Visit site
What a sad story and how kind you are to try to help others. I know zippo about miniature horses but unfortunately when you mess with Mother Nature she finds a way of getting back at you. Look at all the problems they have with "improved" dog breeds. Shetlands are small because they slowly developed that way due to their environment whereas artificial breeding programmes cause major changes over just a 100 years or less. It works the same way when you try to scale upwards as well.

_HP_

Visit site
How sad...
I'm sorry this happened to you..what a shock

Perhaps you could re word the title of the post so it comes up on related searches

Damnation

Visit site
So sad, to have lost him so young. a very interesting (if sad) read and something I knew nothing about. Such a good idea to use this tragedy to bring this problem to light on this forum.

How very sad, I am sorry.
But this is not your fault, it's one of those rubbish things that happens and you couldn't have known.
But thank you for alerting people of the condition, we are all continually learning and I for one did not know this existed in the breed.
RIP little fella

I agree with these.

Such a tragic loss, but thank you for sharing this and turning your loss into something educational that may help someone else with this breed, it is not something that I knew existed.

*huge hugs*

_GG_

Visit site
Thank you so very much for sharing this, despite how very hard it must have been for you.

I am so very sorry for your loss and sending all the hugs I can xx

Equi

Visit site
What a terrible shock. As a amha owner/breeder I'm glad to have read this as it's something I've heard about but not read too much detail into.

Sorry for you loss x

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Such horrid news for you; sorry doesn't seem adequate.

Can I ask is it known over all of the breed or just some lines that are susceptible? If it's all over, fair enough, it's something for all to be aware of but if it's line specific then I think you have a duty to other owners to say which lines your boy carried or at the very least, inform both the breeder and the stallion owner in the hope that they cease breeding from his parents straight away (or any siblings for that matter).

kinnygirl1

Visit site
Really sorry for your loss. Thank you for raising awareness of this condition. Your little man may have saved someone else from going through this by you sharing his story. Hugs.

3OldPonies

Visit site
Thank you again everyone, I've never posted before after losing any of my boys, I tend to bottle things like that up so it's a real comfort to read all your kind words. (FYI, in case that sounds terrible, I've only lost one other in a freak accident since being a member of this board - I don't make a habit of it)

Maesfen, in answer to your question, I'm honestly not sure whether it is blood line specific, although the fact that it is most likely hereditary could mean that it is. I'm not sure which lines my boy carried as he was my first American Mini and I'm not au fait at all with the breeding lines; having said that though I am planning to get in touch with the breeder to let her know what has happened.

kamili

Visit site
Oh that is so so sad. Great big hugs. Don't be so hard on yourself, you wanted the very best for him and I am sure he knew that.