The high withered thin skinned thoroughbred recommendations thread

wench

Visit site
I have had three TB's and have found as long as you buy rugs in the right size, all different sorts of brands are ok. The worst I found was the Fal Slumberdown ones, which rubbed the hair one horses shoulders overnight.

Boots - again but the right brand and size and they do not rub or slip.

Never had any problems with plastic waffle weave girth.

Only saddle cloths I had that didnt work was one of those think Rambo pad type things -it was too thick and rubbed, and a Rambo thin one without any straps (called a handypad I think), this slipped. But was probably due to saddle having a prolite underneath.

As for saddle I have a nice Symonds saddle that seems to fit all shape and size TB's.

Angua2

Visit site
thanks for the tips about the amego's. madam needs a new LW and I had been eyeing those up.

Don't seem to have a problem with girth or saddle clothes rubbing, and we ended up with Kieffer saddles off the peg that fitted beautifully

Still haven't found any travel boots that fit, all are too wide or I get the width right and the length is off

PolarSkye

Visit site
I've just bought a Stephens sheepskin half pad and he seems to be a fan of that. Wondering if he might prefer it used without a cloth though as he's still not 100% happy in the back (despite endless vet, saddle and physio checks)

I never use a saddle cloth with my LeMieux sheepskin doodad . . . the sheepskin is supposed to help his sensitive skin breathe, why oh why would I then put a layer of cotton between it and his back? The rather fussy GD goes really well with the sheepskin directly on his back. Once he has changed shape/gained fitness/strength, I will revert back to a good quality, cotton saddlecloth but while he's building back up, sheepskin it is.

P

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
Funnily enough i used to have a kent and masters but now shes in a Jefferies as shes filled out more- another sheepskin here.
Ive actually given up on over reach boots atm as every one ive tried is rubbing her :(
Roma Hi Withered saddlepads are a must as is the stephens half pad.
Sheepskin tendon/fetlock boots and the super soft trizone brushing boots as they are very flexible and soft.

Pro choice Ventech girth (only one that hasnt rubbed)

Shires Cob james stirling bridle (with padded headpeice and nose obvs) and a pony sized matching martingale are a near perfect fit.
Im another 5" NS Team up bit as well that fits perfect but doesnt fit my other pony.

Ditto the Amigo rugs for fit (never ever trying a weathebeta again!)

Kat

Visit site
Still haven't found any travel boots that fit, all are too wide or I get the width right and the length is off

I need travel boots for skinny tb type legs too. The ones that fit in width are pony size and therefore too short. Bigger and they fall down, so at the moment she is travelling in overreach boots on all four feet, brushing boots all round and knee boots.

I won't use bandages as she's a bu99er for fidgeting and not standing still.

JenHunt

Visit site
Ok, so Ron isn't a TB, but he's thin skinned and high withered!

for numnahs IMO you can't get better value and excellent quality better than the Morpheus designs numnahs - lovely thick wool and soft cotton material, they wash well and mine are still looking great despite being washed at least once a week

for boots we use ProLite - they stay put (even in Yorkshire's Finest Bogs!) and don't rub and don't hold water so they stay lightweight!

and rugs we use Horseware Rambo or Supreme depending on the weight of rug required!

I don't use travel boots, I use prolite bandage pads and wool bandages. Just because I've never found any travel boots that fit any horse well!

headcollar we use aeroborn cushionweb ones and the jeffries leadropes

saddles have varied, but girths we use are padded leather atherstone shaped ones. Bridles are stubben or jeffries.

Last edited:

TicTac

Visit site
This threat is dangerous for my credit card- I'm getting all sorts of ideas :D

Heavens, me too. What have I let myself in for as my 16.3 TB fits the title perfectly! Fortunately I only have horseware rugs, mostly Rambo's as I have always found these rugs to be a good fit for most types of horse. However his fly rug, which isn't horseware I can't leave on for too long as guess what, it rubs in certain places!

Good old rubber o/reach boots seem fine at the moment but then, it's not overly cold, too wet or muddy, so I'll have to see.

I use a green ' brillo pad' type of flat mit to remove mud and then finish off with a soft natural bristle body brush.

My current saddle is an ideal VSD and I dont have any problems with it slipping or moving but do either use a sheepskin half pad and large saddle cloth or the numed pro hight wither numnah.

Have just purchased an airbourne waffle air type non leather girth, so will have to keep an eye on that and maybe invest in a girth sleeve as a precaution.

McW

Visit site
I'd like to add horze pile lined boots. I use them for turnout they are very light and don't rub at all. Plus are less than £9 a pair!

Swirlymurphy

Visit site
I've been looking for this thread for ages having read it once and then lost it :D So glad I've found it.

Our TB is playing silly b*ggers about being caught at the moment and I really need to leave a headcollar on him. However, the obvious downside is that it then rubs his paper-thin skin. Does anyone have any bright ideas/tips/experience to share? I am about to try a sheepskin sleeve over the headpiece but I do worry about the sweating causing more rubbing.

Loving the fact that there are lots of others in the same boat - sorry! But when you see the pile of 'tried once and discarded 'cos it rubbed' kit growing exponentially in the tackroom, it can be a frustrating feeling and it's always good to know others are going through the same thing :D