The horses that can make our world seem a better place

alwaysbroke

Visit site
Have just read Starzaans lovely post about her boy Roy, made me think that it would be good to hear other peoples stories and pics of horses that make your world feel better.

Here is mine, he belongs to my OH, who has had him since he was 3 months old, he is 15 this year.

He is a canny old sort and knows how to 'play' with me. When ever I ride him he will do one thing, never dangerous, just really mischievous, that pushed me to the limit of my riding ability, can never tell at what point during the ride it will happen, but it always will:) He is just over 17hh, when I tack him up he will always stand with his head just out of teach and then not open his mouth for the bit, my hand is just too small to hold the bit and get my finger to the corner of his mouth, eventually he gives in. If OH tacks him up he lowers his head and opens his mouth....

When our son was a baby he was extremely ill, he needed a liver transplant, which nearly didnt happen we came within a week of losing him. He was in hospital for 13 weeks, I lived in the hospital with him and only came home for a few weekends to see my other children. Each time I did something went wrong over night and we nearly lost our little one. I hated leaving him, but desperately wanted to spend time with my girls.
One weekend I came home and felt like I just couldn't face another day in the hospital, it really was a living hell, watching your baby fade away. OH handed Sir over to me for the weekend, I am convinced Sir read my mood and became the sweetest horse for those 2 days, I am sure he would have put his own tack on if he could have, he then plodded out on 2 hacks, I might have been asleep for all the good I was doing sat on him, but he just gave me the time I needed to get my head back together, he seemed to be telling me that things would be ok. He was right, he gave me the strength to go back to the hospital on the Sunday evening, and at the end of that week our son received his transplant.
It can still be a rocky road, but Sir is always there to give that little extra support, just when you need it. He has a very special bond with our son, never puts a foot wrong and is so gentle with him.

At 15 Sir really isn't an old horse, but he is one who has read all the vet books and has taken alot of them to heart over the years, he has always been a shiver-er and with the other aliments he has had its a wonder he is still going. Thinking about the time when we wont have him in our lives is not worth thinking about, we treasure every minute with him.

horsesjunejuly2010109.jpg

horsesjunejuly2010107.jpg

tangotime

Visit site
I really enjoyed reading your story. Sir is a beautiful horse. Is the little boy in the picture, the baby that was so seriously ill?

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
Just read your story. Today is a rubbish day for me; mum in hospital and having to clear her flat and arrange long term care for her. But, you know what ? Your account has just lifted all the gloom and made me smile- as I know that my horses give me the same magic that Sir gives to you and your family.
Beautiful horse and beautiful little boy. And a wise OH, who gave you the time that weekend to regain your strength and hope.

Festive_Felicitations

Visit site
That is a lovely storey and Sir is beautiful!
His face reminds me of Beau who is my therapist.

There have been some really crxp times this year when I have been on the point of totally losing it; Beau is the only reason I'm still here and relatively sane. A good long hug, a quiet hack and 'talk' round the roads does so much for the mental health.

So a toast to all our lovely dobbins!