The importance of having a clinic/instructor now and then...

Imogen_

Visit site
I feel if we did this, the need for gadgets will lessen along with a better understanding at the stage our horses should be at and are capable of
I am very careful when schooling, always take it too slow but I'm not doing any harm in doing so, meaning I can put my mind at ease with the wellbeing of the horse.

When purchasing my horse, she had raced, had time off and started reschooling two years later. I spent time working on her rhythm, balance and forwardness combined with road work to strengthen her skeletal system... But by spending so much hard work on the foundation, I then looked for guidance on the next step and had a very good dressage clinic. It is a miracle what you can achieve in 45 minutes!

Sorry if a boring post, but I just want to stress the importance to have someone on the floor, so schooling can be corrected and progressed in the correct stages.

CathySirett

Visit site
excellent post -- and of course its useful to know that most instructors and coaches regularly make sure they have someone on the ground to help keep them improving and avoid slipping into bad habits!!

Cathy

Lolo

Visit site
I'd almost argue that having regular lessons with someone who's teaching style compliments the way you learn is even better than one off clinics. Al has almost weekly lessons with her instructor, and in the year that that's been occurring her riding has improved 100% and the way her horse goes has improved the same again.

Clinics can cause more harm than good if you're stuck with someone who you don't get on with. Al was told that her and her horse were unsuited to each other last year- a particularly damaging statement to a 17yo girl, especially as we're not a wealthy family who can go and buy her a nice horse who'll teach her the ropes. She has what she has, and that's that. What she has is actually something very special and they make a lovely team as well... Luckily, her regular instructor soon sorted that out!

Imogen_

Visit site
I'd almost argue that having regular lessons with someone who's teaching style compliments the way you learn is even better than one off clinics. Al has almost weekly lessons with her instructor, and in the year that that's been occurring her riding has improved 100% and the way her horse goes has improved the same again.

Clinics can cause more harm than good if you're stuck with someone who you don't get on with. Al was told that her and her horse were unsuited to each other last year- a particularly damaging statement to a 17yo girl, especially as we're not a wealthy family who can go and buy her a nice horse who'll teach her the ropes. She has what she has, and that's that. What she has is actually something very special and they make a lovely team as well... Luckily, her regular instructor soon sorted that out!

But you can equally get a weekly instructor who you do not get on with. I like clinics as they sometimes come to your local area or it's a nice day out without having to compete with your horse. Mine was a clinic with my ex racer... He has left me with a good month or two's worth of stuff to work on and have a play with, so if he has managed to leave me with such a vast improvement and clear stepping stones on where to head next, I think it was well worth it.
At the same time though, an instructor weekly can be great, it’s all down to what you’re trying to achieve though and if they are suited to us. So I don’t argue your point, but I do find clinics can be equally as beneficial.

amandap

Visit site
One thing I don't understand is how many undervalue trainers, whether it be for riding or horsemanship in general. Some will pay hundreds for tack and 'stuff' but think paying for an instructor a waste of money. :confused:
It is a case of finding someone who suits you and your horse though and I do think there is a case for seeing how others work too, even if they aren't what you want.

Lolo

Visit site
But you can equally get a weekly instructor who you do not get on with. I like clinics as they sometimes come to your local area or it's a nice day out without having to compete with your horse. Mine was a clinic with my ex racer... He has left me with a good month or two's worth of stuff to work on and have a play with, so if he has managed to leave me with such a vast improvement and clear stepping stones on where to head next, I think it was well worth it.
At the same time though, an instructor weekly can be great, it’s all down to what you’re trying to achieve though and if they are suited to us. So I don’t argue your point, but I do find clinics can be equally as beneficial.

I'm not arguing- I'm agreeing, and for me clinics have always worked well. Al has had some amazing XC clinic sessions which have left her and Reg very solidly happy together.

I'm just wary because, if you have a weakness, 50 minutes in a clinic can expose it and then not have enough time to help sort it leaving you a bit lost if you don't have the knowledge to carry it on yourself.

I'm in constant awe of people who've never had a lesson/ rarely do. I was rubbish (still am!) and that's with my sister on the ground shouting at me and a lesson every month or so!

dafthoss

Visit site
I think lessons with some one you get on with are actually far more usefull than the odd clinic especally for flat work mainly as you dont have to go through the getting to know you phase each time and you can pick up where you left off the last time. Jumping I think you can get some thing out of riding round a new course of jumps (well I can with my horse) even if the teaching isnt up to much a few new exercises and some one to do poles can help.

I have lessons a bit sporadically at the moment as uni is kind of taking over and it depends on when I can get a few days solid work with him to work on what we did in the last lesson. The ground at the moment is also not helping as I dont want to churn my field up so need to do my schooling on hacks. But I find having all my lessons videoed so I can go back to them and re watch really helps as does having my normal schooling sessions filmed as then I can pick my self apart. When I get a summer job sorted I will be trying to fit a lesson in weekly as he has come on loads since we found an instructor I get on with that will push us both and help me work through his long list of evasions.

I have all my competition rounds videoed so I can pick them apart as I currently havnt found a jumping instructor for us (have one to try when I'm feeling brave :eek: but if that doesnt work I'm a little limited), personally I think he is jumping better than he ever has and is the most confident he has ever been so it must be working for us.

The little dartmoor I'm schooling I'm currently having lessons on to help us both as even though I know what I need to do with him its always helpful to have some one on the ground to help and put some new ideas in.

Should also add that we went over a year without lessons though and still managed to progress with just pc stuff but now we both need fine tuning, flat work especally.

Imogen_

Visit site
I'm not arguing- I'm agreeing, and for me clinics have always worked well. Al has had some amazing XC clinic sessions which have left her and Reg very solidly happy together.

I'm just wary because, if you have a weakness, 50 minutes in a clinic can expose it and then not have enough time to help sort it leaving you a bit lost if you don't have the knowledge to carry it on yourself.

I'm in constant awe of people who've never had a lesson/ rarely do. I was rubbish (still am!) and that's with my sister on the ground shouting at me and a lesson every month or so!

It can be tricky to find someone, an instructor has got to be able to understand how to communicate with the horse they've never sat on and a client they don't know, so it does take some skill. I guess the clinics come into hand when you're getting more established in where you think you're heading, but just need a 'check point' now and then to keep on track :)

brucethegypsycob

Visit site
finding the "right" instructor totally transformed both me and my horse for the better. even more so because coblet is a youngster. my instuctor is worth her weight in gold. she rides my boy for schooling lessons and i also ride him for lessons. She teaches him what he needs to know first then i take over. When i need to learn something new i am taught on a school horse first so as not to confuse my youngster durring the learning process.i absolutely love my lessons. anyone in west wales who wants a good instuctor pm me and i`ll pass on details.

BeanyG

Visit site
I've just had my first lesson on our 4year old today, and I can't tell you how valuable it was for us both, I find I easily pick up bad habbits that I don't realise, also it makes sure we're heading in the right direction and gives us something to focus on. It has done us the world of good today and I think it is really important to me and keeps us both in check
N&F

Princess Jess

Visit site
I think having regular lessons is very important, everyone can learn something from having a lesson with a good instructer, even top riders still have people on the ground every now and then.
I think clinics are also good as a one off, couple of times a year sort of thing, but personally find I get more out of regular lessons with an instructer that knows me and the horse ;)

Imogen_

Visit site
I still think it depends.

I have seen people improve and take home more info from one clinic than I have their weekly lessons.

I've also seen people take up regular lessons and make equal improvement. But trainers that deal with problem horses often do clinics, doesn't mean they waste time trying to figure things out, as they have to take action and make improvement by the end of their time.

jcoombs

Visit site
I took a break off having regular lessons for a few months last year cause the instructor was charging 75 an hour to go to them and we didn't really "click". When I got my new instructor which I get on really well with she pointed out all the bad habits I'd picked up in the space of about 10 weeks, I go to clinics with the same instructor to and they're really beneficial :)

Batgirl

Visit site
One thing I don't understand is how many undervalue trainers, whether it be for riding or horsemanship in general. Some will pay hundreds for tack and 'stuff' but think paying for an instructor a waste of money. :confused:
It is a case of finding someone who suits you and your horse though and I do think there is a case for seeing how others work too, even if they aren't what you want.

Was havign a discussion about this today, a livery has just left (she came coz she was having probs with her horse). Instructor on site is great (I have weekly lessons). This livery constantly asked questions but never booked a lesson. She is now taking ponio home but has asked if instructor will come out to her?? Weird as she always said it was because she couldn't afford lessons but she is going to a more expensive livery and buys the top she can afford of everything.

Don't get me wrong, each to their own but this lady wants a happy hacker, what she has is an IDx?Connie youngster bought off a roadside that doesn't know where it puts its' feet and has dumped her on the road, if ever there was someone who needed a little help it was her. Worst thing is she won't get any help at the new yard and I am worried about her having another accident :(

TallulahBright

Visit site
I've had a couple of lessons recently on a friend's horse in preparation for getting back on my baby. I can't explain just how brilliant it was, really helped tweak a couple of issues and made me realise I can actually ride and get a nice tune out of a horse. Really boosted my confidence, which had taken a bit of a bashing!!