The importing rescue dogs question

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[Content removed]

BS, China is a massive, massive country with multiple regions/departments and customs.
We don't say all Americans are cruel to horses because of abuses in a section of the the Tennessee Walking Horse community, do we?
I've spoken to judges who've been to China and at the end of a class of 300 dogs will be a granny with a giant dog the size of a donkey with floppy ears that bears no resemblance to a German Shepherd. She will explain how her dog is the *best* dog in the village, from which she has travelled many miles to show and will get very, very angry that he has been placed last.

There's also a myth perpetuated that all horses and dogs in Ireland are subject to abuse, which we all know is utter bunkum, don't we?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
He looks an absolute star but a part of me believes you’ve been lucky. With foreign rescues, I do believe it’s the luck of the draw. I’m sure though, he’ll have a wonderful life with you.

I’m sure there is some luck but I have half a dozen friends with dogs from the same rescue and they’re all lovely dogs. Many are just dumped litters of puppies. I’m also on the FB page for those who’ve got them and the majority don’t seem to have major issues and many have gone on to get second or third dogs from the rescue so they can’t be too bad.

There was one recently though that when it went in to have a growth on the nipple removed was discovered to have 75 pellets and 2 air rifle bullets in her!

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
BS, China is a massive, massive country with multiple regions/departments and customs.
We don't say all Americans are cruel to horses because of abuses in a section of the the Tennessee Walking Horse community, do we?
I've spoken to judges who've been to China and at the end of a class of 300 dogs will be a granny with a giant dog the size of a donkey with floppy ears that bears no resemblance to a German Shepherd. She will explain how her dog is the *best* dog in the village, from which she has travelled many miles to show and will get very, very angry that he has been placed last.

There's also a myth perpetuated that all horses and dogs in Ireland are subject to abuse, which we all know is utter bunkum, don't we?
Please don’t compare Ireland to China - someone will take offence.
A dog show in China isn’t an example of how good their animal welfare laws are. I’m sure there are some Chinese who love their pets, but their animal welfare laws are shameful.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Rescuing dogs from the 'fur/meat trade' in China is A Thing too, however the dogs mostly seem very docile/biddable. Must cost a bomb, though?

I met one of these that a very well known dog trainer had imported and he was very friendly but he said he was very hard to train. Unfortunately when they first had it it killed their cat which I would find totally unacceptable. They can’t trust it with their chickens or anything loose that might run. It’s ok with their lab though.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
If I was Chinese I'd be pretty pissed, to be honest.

Tough. If they get their animal welfare laws in order, then I’ll retract my statement.

We in these islands seem to think we have some sort of moral high ground but there are horrendous cruelty cases in the UK.

Yes, but at least we have laws that can be enforced if necessary.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The dog didn't know killing a cat was unacceptable, though. Dogs are prey animals and shit happens sometimes. There are plenty of home grown pet dogs that will take cats or chooks. It can be trained or managed. I'd worry less about that than I would a dog that is terrified of people/the world at large.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
'The Chinese will eat anything with a pulse'.

Apart from themselves, I should’ve added.

I'm sure amongst a population of 1.4bn, there will be one or two vegetarians. And a few who look after their dogs, too.

Statistically, yes, there will be vegetarians and some who genuinely love their pets but their animal welfare laws are still woeful. Hence the live transportation of donkeys from Africa to holding centres in China where their skins are harvested for ‘medicine’.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
The dog didn't know killing a cat was unacceptable, though. Dogs are prey animals and shit happens sometimes. There are plenty of home grown pet dogs that will take cats or chooks. It can be trained or managed. I'd worry less about that than I would a dog that is terrified of people/the world at large.

Yes i understand that and they accept that but I personally could not accept a dog that killed my cat nor had a high propensity or drive to do so.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes i understand that and they accept that but I personally could not accept a dog that killed my cat nor had a high propensity or drive to do so.

My dearly beloved and much lamented late Jack Russell killed every cat she could get her rabid little jaws on, and decimated my chickens, despite knowing full well that this was Not Allowed. She was an absolute demon, and I loved her dearly.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
My dearly beloved and much lamented late Jack Russell killed every cat she could get her rabid little jaws on, and decimated my chickens, despite knowing full well that this was Not Allowed. She was an absolute demon, and I loved her dearly.

How horrible that you couldn’t control her, should have been kept on a lead at all times. At least that’s what I would have been told had I said the sa e thing.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We have a husky. I am pretty sure that she would kill every single cat we meet on walks, yet our cat and mums cat, she bows down to!

I would much much rather re-home from the UK, but think we would be unlikely to be successful as we both work full time, and when I was looking, all the dogs I liked the look of were only pet only homes.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
We have a husky. I am pretty sure that she would kill every single cat we meet on walks, yet she our cat and mums cat, she bows down to!

I would much much rather re-home from the UK, but think we would be unlikely to be successful as we both work full time, and when I was looking, all the dogs I liked the look of were only pet only homes.

Well I hope she’s on the lead when she meets cats?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
And yet I’ve never had a dog that’s been aggressive towards cats let alone kill one. Must be my amazing dog knowledge and training to curb those genetics.

It must be :) or, your dog didn't have the genetics/drive to want to chase and kill prey, however many do, and accidents happen due to *human* error. It doesn't mean they are bad dogs IMO.

Fido doesn't know that Puss is a beloved family pet. He just sees a fast moving furry projectile.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Well I hope she’s on the lead when she meets cats?

Always on lead, hence she’s never killed one. The only places she is off lead is at the horses where I have secure boundary fencing, or we go to secure dog parks. She is very respectful of the horses, keeps well out of their way

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
We have a husky. I am pretty sure that she would kill every single cat we meet on walks, yet our cat and mums cat, she bows down to!

Apologies for derailing further and/or being a bit preachy but one of my huskies was happily sat on a sofa with a cat when I first met her, was well used to our family cats growing up and despite showing a lot of interest in other cats out and about was not interested in the family ones at all. Until the day she was. :(

Not a mistake I will make again - and it was my fault, not the dog's.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
We had the cat before we got Luna, so she’s kind of grown up with him. We did know the risk with the cat, and when we aren’t here, she can’t get upstairs where he spends most of his time asleep on our bed. We also know that when he goes, he’s 15 now, getting another cat will be a long hard decision and probably not likely.

Clodagh

Visit site
Gorgeous dog, SBTS, if you could have rehomed a UK flatcoat would you have done, or did you specifically want an import? I agree UK rescues are a bunch of nutters!