The importing rescue dogs question

Clodagh

Visit site
As for cat killing I have had dogs that killed cats, I never intended it to happen but lots of fluffy pet dogs like chasing cats and things get carried away. In no way a boast and it was horrible and upsetting but it does happen.
Sadly being on a lead near cats only works if the cat doesn't climb over your garden fence.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Most of the dogs that live around me are fat, lame, or both, they don't get groomed and they poo bright orange roundabouts six times a day, judging by the state of the road/pavements. I'm surrounded by dogs shut out in gardens or yards, barking at nothing.

Blimey, really? Where on earth do you live?! I know of one lame jrt, I can't work out if his legs are just too little. Other than that, pretty much all the dogs I see in the park are healthy looking bar one obscenely fat thing, it's appalling to see. The poo, of which sadly lots is ignored, looks better than several years ago: I believe people are far more discriminating about dog food these days.

Clodagh

Visit site
Blimey, really? Where on earth do you live?! I know of one lame jrt, I can't work out if his legs are just too little. Other than that, pretty much all the dogs I see in the park are healthy looking bar one obscenely fat thing, it's appalling to see. The poo, of which sadly lots is ignored, looks better than several years ago: I believe people are far more discriminating about dog food these days.

On a days shooting, when people gather at the start the ones who haven't bothered walking their dogs first are the ones whos dogs do orange mini mountains. I don't know if there is a link between idleness and crappy dog food but I am working on a theory that there may well be.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Sadly being on a lead near cats only works if the cat doesn't climb over your garden fence.

I once appalled a (cat owning, thought dogs were a bit icky) work colleague by saying I would chuck water at any cat that tried to get into our garden. It would be by far the lesser of two evils!

Luckily where we are now every house in the row has a dog so cats don't tend to come near, except to crap on my driveway. We're still house hunting and I live in fear of ending up in the middle of a cat zone.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I keep a water pistol by the back door :p since I moved this lot are a bit too quick for me to manage to get them properly though 😂

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
After years of owning potential cat-killing lurchers, not one has ever killed a domestic pet. Frankly, I’m appalled at some of the admissions on this thread. Levrier left this forum because of the comments referring to some of her dogs not having spot on recall and yet killing cats is accepted because it’s in the dogs nature. If someone’s dog had killed my pet cats, it would be in my nature to sue them for criminal damage. Fidiots.

Last edited:

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I don’t think anyone finds it acceptable for a dog to kill a cat, but unfortunately it happens. The thing with cats is, they don’t really have boundaries, and wander. One of my cats years ago came in and his tail had been completely de-gloved, he also had 2 puncture wounds in his back leg. We can only guess he’d gone into a dog garden, and the dog grabbed him as he tried to leave again.

I would be devastated if Luna killed someone’s pet, but if it’s in our garden and she’s quicker than me at spotting it, there wouldn’t be much I could do.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I don’t think anyone finds it acceptable for a dog to kill a cat, but unfortunately it happens. The thing with cats is, they don’t really have boundaries, and wander. One of my cats years ago came in and his tail had been completely de-gloved, he also had 2 puncture wounds in his back leg. We can only guess he’d gone into a dog garden, and the dog grabbed him as he tried to leave again.

I would be devastated if Luna killed someone’s pet, but if it’s in our garden and she’s quicker than me at spotting it, there wouldn’t be much I could do.
I understand that. But an on lead dog?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
No one was saying it was acceptable to willingly let dogs kill other people's cats willy-nilly? What I have seen is people admitting that their own dogs had killed their own cats and admitting it was down to human error/dropping the ball. It's a management issue.
A dog that from nature, wants to stop a small furry thing from moving, and manages to do it, because of a mistake from the owner, isn't bad/aggressive per se IMO.

This derailment was kinda my fault as I suggested that a dog that kills cats doesn't do it because it suffered some form of alleged abuse in a foreign country.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
No one was saying it was acceptable to willingly let dogs kill other people's cats willy-nilly? What I have seen is people admitting that their own dogs had killed their own cats and admitting it was down to human error/dropping the ball. It's a management issue.
A dog that from nature, wants to stop a small furry thing from moving, and manages to do it, because of a mistake from the owner, isn't bad/aggressive per se IMO.

This derailment was kinda my fault as I suggested that a dog that kills cats doesn't do it because it suffered some form of alleged abuse in a foreign country.
No, it isn’t the dogs fault.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I once appalled a (cat owning, thought dogs were a bit icky) work colleague by saying I would chuck water at any cat that tried to get into our garden. It would be by far the lesser of two evils!

Luckily where we are now every house in the row has a dog so cats don't tend to come near, except to crap on my driveway. We're still house hunting and I live in fear of ending up in the middle of a cat zone.

Water pistols are god-given. What they can achieve in a split second is beyond phenomenal!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Including animals used for medical testing or are by-products of medicine (Premarin etc)? Are they well protected?

in the UK? yes-we have the most highly regulated animal testing in the world both in research and the commercial sector. Of course if people are against it in principle then thats one thing but if you accept the need for it then its far better that its done here. We led the way for the EU in this respect, their directive followed our existing laws.

{97702}

Visit site
After years of owning potential cat-killing lurchers, not one has ever killed a domestic pet. Frankly, I’m appalled at some of the admissions on this thread. Levrier left this forum because of the comments referring to some of her dogs not having spot on recall and yet killing cats is accepted because it’s in the dogs nature. If someone’s dog had killed my pet cats, it would be in my nature to sue them for criminal damage. Fidiots.

No, that was not why I left the forum. I left the forum because of threads like this where people think it is ok to spout views that I find offensive and repellent - everyone has freedom of speech, I have the freedom not to have to read that rubbish

Thanks to the user who notified me about this, I always like to give the true story ;)

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
No, that was not why I left the forum. I left the forum because of threads like this where people think it is ok to spout views that I find offensive and repellent - everyone has freedom of speech, I have the freedom not to have to read that rubbish

Thanks to the user who notified me about this, I always like to give the true story ;)
And you’re back. I wonder who that user was, hmmm? Birds of a feather stick together........ and you did leave because it got a bit too hot in the kitchen, so don’t try & come after me.

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
I think you might have mis-read her post. She said it only works with a dog on lead if the cat isn’t in your garden.

Of course, I could have misunderstood her post.

I’m beyond caring now🤪 I just don’t agree that just because a dog has an instinct it can’t be controlled.

{97702}

Visit site
And you’re back. I wonder who that user was, hmmm? Birds of a feather stick together........ and you did leave because it got a bit too hot in the kitchen, so don’t try & come after me.

Gosh you really are an unpleasant individual who makes amazing assumptions aren’t you 😄 I am not ‘back’ - I replied to the greyhound thread at the request of another user, I replied to this thread to correct an inaccuracy

Quite frankly BS I couldn’t care less what you think of me, but please don’t make assumptions about why I chose to leave when you have no idea at all

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
Gosh you really are an unpleasant individual who makes amazing assumptions aren’t you 😄 I am not ‘back’ - I replied to the greyhound thread at the request of another user, I replied to this thread to correct an inaccuracy

Quite frankly BS I couldn’t care less what you think of me, but please don’t make assumptions about why I chose to leave when you have no idea at all
No I’m really not unpleasant at all. Throw your insults if it makes you feel better, that’s what bullies do.

windseywoo

Visit site
We have two Romanian rescue dogs. Had them for four years and in that time they've caused a fallout with neighbours, had aggression issues and nearly caused our break-up. They were pretty much feral when we had them, but gosh do they know they've got it good now!! They have been the hardest work of all the dogs we've had and they are still not great with strangers (not always a bad thing), but they've come good.
I didn't agree with OH when he got (have wrote about it at length on here) them and when they are naughty they are still his dogs, but he didn't do his home work and didn't even know they were from Romania until we picked them up.
However they've had no health problems and have never absconded. They do look at all other animals as prey but are brilliant guard dogs.
It has put me off having another dog once these two go, but they are part of our rather dysfunctional family.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Gorgeous dog, SBTS, if you could have rehomed a UK flatcoat would you have done, or did you specifically want an import? I agree UK rescues are a bunch of nutters!

I wasn’t fussy on breed just wanted a lovely natured medium sized dog that was young but not a young puppy and trainable. All his pictures a description were of a happy smiley dog and he’s just that he greets everyone like they’re his long lost friend and is very popular. I would never have considered a foreign rescue had I not seen how lovely my friends rescue dogs were. I did have a home check by a local volunteer and I paid for passport and vaccinations / health check and travel directly to the person that arranges it. I made an extra voluntary donation of Amazon goods off the rescues wish list.

He has never been a street dog, he was dumped as a puppy with his siblings outside the rescue. A lot of the dogs seem to be from a similar background.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I don't think anyone does. I don't however think dogs have a moral compass and know such behaviours are inherently wrong. They just know they may get punished for trying to do it or rewarded for not trying to do it and sometimes sadly instinct overrides that.

It seems to me you’ve either mistakenly or perhaps deliberately taken my comment about the dog killing the cat as if I don’t understand that all dogs have the propensity to kill a cat or other small furry creature or that they do it through some sort of malice of forethought. All I ever intended from the comment was that I could not have a dog with that high drive in my household it would not be acceptable to me. The dog in question was actually lovely and took a shine to me but I’d never have one myself the same as I would never have a greyhound even though I’ve met some lovely ones.

Clearly many dogs do though coexist with cats quite well so either they have a low drive or they’ve been well trained. Yes unfortunately accidents do happen but it’s up to us to make sure as best we can that they don’t. I certainly find the casualness of some posters towards cat killing rather disappointing.

When I first got Chance he did half heartedly chase the cats down the garden when they ran but he soon learnt that it was behaviour that was unacceptable to me. He’s not allowed to even look funny at the cats. He’s even ok with the yard cat.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Fair dos. I don't see casualness myself, in fact I see people being painfully open about a horrible situation. I don't see the point of self-flagellation (it's bad enough) or dishonesty.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
If I hear of a rural loss of a feral dog I only feel sympathy for the farmers, keepers et al who may be effected and hope it is quickly shot.
(And I'm really sorry but am not sure if it is affected or effected...let's hope SC doesn't enter AAD).

Ooh Clodagh, do you want to apply for a job as my stalker? It’s fine with me if you do but you’ll have to up your game and make your jibes a little bit more interesting :rolleyes: :p:D