The Independent article today - re. horse owners feeling the recession

Puppy

Visit site
Has anyone else read this?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...ey-1820968.html

I know the journalist in question was on here trying to find people to comment and I take it not many people got in touch with him, as the article is terribly weak
crazy.gif

The opening statement:

[ QUOTE ]
Hundreds of horse owners may have their mounts shot this winter as the recession hits owners who can no longer cope with the financial burden of feeding and stabling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems purely sensationalist, and completely unsubstantiated.
confused.gif
In fact, the bulk of the article is the fact that many horse owners who are feeling the recession are contacting charities hoping to rehome them...
confused.gif
Oh, and that

[ QUOTE ]
Professor Derek C Knottenbelt, an equine veterinary expert based at the University of Liverpool, said having some animals shot should be a "viable option" for anyone with a horse that they can neither keep nor sell.

"It is a justifiable and often sensible way of ensuring that the horse is not subjected to ongoing cruelty and neglect," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfectly sensible advice, but not substantial to back up the opening statement that hundreds will be shot!
confused.gif

I usually like the Independent, but this article is not just weak it's also just a complete re-hash of some thing that the Daily Fail printed months ago:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...fford-keep.html

What terrifically bad press for us horse owners
crazy.gif

Chestnutmare

Visit site
oh for sure....thats just bad bad press...not all of us are like that I go without for my animals...of they need food or anything else they get it If I need food I go without just so they dont...blimey it's not really that bad is it that these so called horse people are shooting to get rid....make me angry that does...

MochaDun

Visit site
It's a shame the journalist didn't have a longer deadline for his article, seem to remember his post said he had to have it in by the next day which i know is the pressures of journalism but would have been so much better to have covered this issue in depth properly as a feature rather than a hastily cobbled together news item.
crazy.gif

V1NN

Visit site
I would give up an awful lot/ take on another job or sharer (or even try to sell him?!) before i resorted to such drastic measures. V would be the last thing to suffer in my world and i'm certain most horse owners would feel the same. i seen that post the other day He must surely not have had much/any response

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I remember his post requesting feedback.

To be honest I have downsized to make sure my horse is ok not because of the recession but because I have downsized my whole lifestyle.

Top of the money tree is the horse then the cat then me.

Perhaps he should have asked what we would give up rather than give up our horses ??

where is his original post we should email and tell him he is WRONG!!

Jiffy

photobucket.com
What a pity it isn't ethical to shoot journalists who aren't able to write an interesting, honest and unbiased article. Put them out of their misery I say!
grin.gif

The thousands of people I saw shopping and clutching carrier bags at Your Horse Live this weekend indicates that they are not about to get rid of their horses. It didn't look to be low on attendance figures either.

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The thousands of people I saw shopping and clutching carrier bags at Your Horse Live this weekend indicates that they are not about to get rid of their horses. It didn't look to be low on attendance figures either.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Quite! And it was the same at Burghley 2 months ago, and shall no doubt be the same at Olympia next month
wink.gif

Minxie

Visit site
Oh I dunno about being shot but I'd read (although defo can't substantiate) that the charities were being flooded with abandoned horses and ponies. Granted not shot but I guess the implication that many people can't afford them might ring true.

I know my horse feed has MORE THAN DOUBLED this year and my hay is up too. I pay a fair bit more now in petrol to get to and from the livery and my vets traveling fee's have nearly doubled. My horse insurance has had a hike in premium and about the only thing which isn't noticably more expensive is the wormer and the farrier - although thank goodness he doesn't have shoes
grin.gif

But agreed that the article should have had more substance but lets hope that if people who are talking about the proposed horse tax read it, don't check the fact, and decide not to pile more misery on us
grin.gif