The joy of riding

AthenesOwl

Visit site
I only get to ride during my weekly riding school lesson, although I’ve been riding for a very long time these days, and today was one of those days when everything came together and it was just brilliant from start to finish.

I rode my favourite horse, an enormous ex-showjumper, who can sometimes be distractible and loves to do everything very fast. Today, he was really listening to me, did everything I asked of him, and we even managed some collection in canter. I love riding him even when he’s being tricky, stubborn and zooming around, but today was just perfect and I couldn’t stop smiling.

I’ve tried explaining to my non-horsey husband, but he just doesn’t get it, so I had to share here. I got home still on a high from how brilliant my lesson had been.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I only get to ride during my weekly riding school lesson, although I’ve been riding for a very long time these days, and today was one of those days when everything came together and it was just brilliant from start to finish.

I rode my favourite horse, an enormous ex-showjumper, who can sometimes be distractible and loves to do everything very fast. Today, he was really listening to me, did everything I asked of him, and we even managed some collection in canter. I love riding him even when he’s being tricky, stubborn and zooming around, but today was just perfect and I couldn’t stop smiling.

I’ve tried explaining to my non-horsey husband, but he just doesn’t get it, so I had to share here. I got home still on a high from how brilliant my lesson had been.

Just tell us instead, we get it! 😍

Abacus

Visit site
For the first time in a while I took my 26 year old out for a hack yesterday. He is still ridden at weekends by a friend but I have two others - who are spooky and take a bit more riding, they aren't always relaxing. Getting on the old boy was pure pleasure, he's utterly unspooky and still as keen as ever. Has no brakes when I ride him but I think we both giggled all the way around.

AthenesOwl

Visit site
When I got home from my riding lesson this week, the first thing my youngest daughter said to me was "Mum, you smell funny" 🤨

I had actually driven home, savouring the smell of horses, tack, sweat and mud - and to me it was absolute heaven. 😂

Non horsey people just don't get it at all! 🐎
I love that smell! If only it could be bottled to keep me going through the week.

lme

Visit site
I get it. Ours are just back from a winter holiday and it was so nice to be back onboard my girl. We’re just walking round the block at the moment but shes loving it. I can mostly only really ride her at weekends in winter (hence the winter holiday) but it’s the highlight of my week.