The last straw

Alec Swan

Visit site
Alex, I did not know the repro vet of the practise was going on holiday, until he was off.

3(?) years ago we had a planned ET from a 4* mare. The veterinary practise which dealt with the donor mare's owner's horses assured us of their levels of competence and importantly, their level of experience. We had a head-shed meeting with the senior partner and agreed a plan for which he would be responsible, that he would deal with, and this was in April. The 3 recipient mares were kept where the donor mare was stabled, and then I awaited news. The four mares were scanned, and then I waited, and waited.

With no progress reports I 'phoned the head-honcho and asked my newly acquired chum if he was going to PG the mares in an effort to synchronise them. "Oh no" came the reply "we'll wait for them to get in step together". By now it was the end of May, the donor mare was due at Burghley and I pointed out that I had no intention of continuing to use the practise and that they could shove their bills to date, up their arses. Strangely, I didn't hear one word of argument. Subsequently, another repro-vet who I know well had previously worked with the character concerned and described him as bone-idle.

The costs involved were considerable; I'd been kindly offered the use of 3 recipients, one refused to have anyone near her back-end, they'd all been transported to the donor mare, I'd paid for their keep and they all had to be sent back.

As you lady a, I trusted a professional, but the mistake was that I didn't check that the practice in question also had a 200 mare Stud Farm on their books and offered assurities which they had no intention of honouring. We all make mistakes, and we learn from them.

Alec.