The Morning Shift

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
For those of you who 'do' your horses before work.

How far do you travel?
What time do you get there?
What do you do when you get there?

This is just out of interest
grin.gif

sleepingdragon10

Visit site
Well,I think I kind of cheat a little as SWUO is literally just across the road
wink.gif

She gets checked over,feet picked out,then turned out before daughter goes to school(so about 8am~ish)
I always leave mucking out til later though.

Bethxx

BBs

Visit site
The yard from home is 6-8 miles depending which route you take.
I get there for around 7am, turn lights on, and feed horses. Let horses out who dont get fed, and do haynets for horses staying in.
Muck out horses that have gone out and once the others have finished breakfast and had a bit of time eating hay, i put them all on the walker whilst i muck out their stables.
Once done and swept up all horses come off the walker and have rugs changed etc.
If i then have time I ride one of them, and or turn the rest out if they are going out that day.
Work is 5 minutes away so pull jeans over jods, change jumper, sort hair and use half a bottle of impulse and im ready for work
grin.gif

Murphs_Mum

Visit site
Normally do Murphy about 6.20am. I get up at 5.50! Normally leave the yard by 6.45 to drive to work for 7.00am (I'm a farm secretary and we have a small stud so I do horses first thing and go into office at 9.00). I Semi deep litter in the week and make all hay nets up at weekend so he doesn't take long.

Lucy_Ally

Visit site

How far do you travel?
About 5 minutes, stables are halfway between work and home.

Between 7-7.30 usually!

Turnout, muck out, prepare haynets water etc so the stable is already for the evening so I can ride after work.

Nic

Visit site
Travel about 10 metres
tongue.gif

Get there at 6.15.

Feed Gus in stable & D in yard & muck out D's stable while they have brekkie.

Turn them out & muck out Gus, do water & put haylage in for bed time.

samp

Visit site
I live 5 mins from the stables, get there just before 6am. Feed and hay 4, muck out Lot's change her rugs, turn out and then out make hay and feed up for when my friend gets her in later. Home by 6.40 and then shower, breakfast etc and out for 7.30, work at 8am

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Travel 7 mins
Arrive at 6.40
Feed 3 horses, turnout between 1 and 3
Muck Amy out
Hay those left in - wee the boy
Change
Go to work.

SSM

Visit site
Get up at 6.45, fill my star wars travel mug with coffee
smile.gif
and off for the 5min drive to the yard - feed 4 neds, change rugs on 3 and turn them all out, then muck the Donkey out, make feed, hay water etc then home at 8 and into the shower and off to work.

If I don't muck out in the morning I hate it - throws my whole routine out!

showjump2003

Visit site
I'm away at uni during the week so my family look after my ponies. I have two horses and my parents have one. My horses are on site so they go out to them just before seven. My mum changes my horses rugs then my mum, dad and 17 year old brother all lead a horse each out to the field. My mum or dad will quickly muck all the stables out whilst my little brother gives my horses and the cows (we have three of them) some haylage.

I know I'm very lucky to have them!

Three days a week my mum has to leave for work at 8.15am and the other two working days she has to leave at 7.45am.

sally2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How far do you travel?

[/ QUOTE ] About 20 yards.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] 6.40am
mad.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Feed, soak haynet, muck out whilst he's eating, drain haynet, change rugs, treat his feet, turn out if my field doesn't resemble soup, soak sugarbeet for later, sweep up and go and get myself ready for work.
crazy.gif

ExRacers

Visit site
Travel 7 miles by car & get there at 6.10am (get up at 5.15am!). Feed, change rugs & turn out both my horses. Muck out both fully & bank up the beds to air during the day. Soak hay for 1 and fill hay bar with haylage for the other. Scrub out all feed & water buckets and refill. Sweep yard & tack room & then get changed into work clothes in tack room (BALTIC!!) & leave for work at 7.30am.

Very lucky as I don't have to return in the evening as my Mum lives at the stables & brings them in at night providing I've done all the work in the morning!!

Chex

Visit site
I leave at 7, takes about 7 mins to get their. I change 2 rugs, chuck them both out and go home again. I'm home for about 7:25 (I use my parents car and htey leave for work then). I used to muck and stuff in the mornings, but these days sleep seems more important lol.

_OC_

Visit site
Get up 5.45 am have a coffee(yard clothes along with work clothes ready night before)arrive at yard which is 3 minutes from home at approx 6.00am feed all horses on yard get fat one ready- friend and I then turn out,muck out do feeds,nets and water for my boy so ready for evening.....like everything done early in the morning.... even on my days off!!!

Tempi

Visit site
How far do you travel?

10mins car journey (its approx 8miles)

620am

either turn both out or sometimes (like this morning) Blos stays in so i muck her out, do feed/waterbuckets/hay for her for the day then turn Archie out afterwards.

Either way im always home by 715am.

In the summer i often ride before work tho, so im up at 430am then........

ecrozier

Visit site
Depends where I am working (do project management so each day is different!) But unless I have a very early start, get up about 6.30, horses are just outside, so head straight out to them, feed my boy who is the only one in, while he eats, feed the 3 mares who are out, check nothing horribly wrong with any of them, collect any feed buckets from night before, then come back to stables and do the boy's water and change his rug, he has usually finished eating by then so he goes out. I then usually muck out (matting, so only takes 10 mins) and put their feeds on to soak and get buckets ready for evening.
Then back to house by about 7.15, if in office, cup of tea (usually sitting in bed as its warmer! do take smelly horse colthes off first tho!) Up again at about 8.15, leave for work about 8.40 to be in office at 9.
If in london leave at about 7.30 so that gets a bit rushed!!

druid

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How far do you travel?

[/ QUOTE ]
About 10 yards from the back door

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
6.55am -8.30am depending on lectures!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Vaguely assess everyone is standing or breathing (I'll accept either
tongue.gif
), check water for ice and chuck out a bale of hay

Mellymoo1

Visit site
I'm up at 6, drive to the yard (bout 5 miles away) get there about 6.20. Grab wheelbarrow, put two feeds and Brads rug in it and wheel to stable, chuck Cliffords feed in to stop him from banging the door. Tie up Bradley and feed him outside while I muck out stable. I skip out mostly and tidy the bed, every three days I do a full muck out. Fill his evening haynet and take a section for him to munch in the field. Change rugs and turn out, check water in the field, traipse back to the yard!

Scrub water and feed buckets and fill water buckets up, if I've got time I make up his feeds. Then leave the yard at 7.20, home for a quick shower and change then off to work at 8.15.

Halfpass

Visit site
Really depends what shift I am working. I usually do nights so after finishing work at 8am I go and feed turnout muck out etc etc. Then in evening before work (the equivelant to your morning) I get her in have a play in the school might groom / get some practice putting boots on her / bridle (she is a youngster) then I rug feed and put to bed.

dieseldog

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For those of you who 'do' your horses before work.

How far do you travel?

Bottom of the drive

Open his stable door and let him walk into the ready prepared day stable, also do the same for my sisters 2 horses. Sister then turns them out later on about 9am

Leave yard at 6.23

This is just out of interest
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

UKa

community.webshots.com
I cycle to yard and it takes me about 15mins; I get there between 645 and 0710ish - I put horse in walker, muck out do water and haynets and then turnout when finished, then cycle back home have quick shower and change and then off to station to catch train to London at eithr 0820 or 0845;
on days that I work from home, I go to yard early and do haynets only then ride and turnout and go back up in the afternoon to muck out and finish all off.

SouthWestWhippet

Visit site
I've got it sorted... On Mon and Tues and Saturday I work at the yard from 8 so I get there for 7:30, turn out me and my friend Sam's horse, hay the liveries (just a little favour I do for those less lucky than me with their transport arrangements), muck out mine and hay/water mine and Sam's... then start work at 8:00

On Wed and Fri I work at the office and Sam does the morning hay/feed/water and I muck out after work.

On Thursday either Sam does everything first thing or I do it when I get up there at 12:00 (greeted with sulky ponies waiting for a late breakfast).

This works out perfectly because Sam and I both get a couple of mornings 'off' and, because we both hay all the other liveries and they don't have to pay the yard to do it, we are owed lots of 'mucking out' favours if we ever want to go away for the weekend or something.

miller

Visit site
How far do you travel? 15 steps
What time do you get there? After I've got up, made coffee and fed cats
Feed then go in for already made coffee while they eat it, go back out, tie up horses, muck out mine and fill haynets/water change his rug while OH mucks out his (his is meesy!) OH changes his mares rugs, turnout, lock up and back in for coffee (40 mins max)

frannieuk

Visit site
It's a one mile drive (occasionally use the bicycle in the summer!), get there anytime between 4am and 9am depending on what shift I work, and then feed, change rugs, muck out and turn out my two girlies. Sometimes I get everything ready for the evening, and can have the whole lot done in 20 minutes if I push myself!

KatB

Visit site
Set off about 7.15.
Travel about 10mins in the car, dependant on traffic. Get there, don "horsey coverall" (another coat and full chaps) over work clothes, mix brekkie and throw over door, fill his hayledge bag for field, swap rugs over, drag him up to field with hayledge and feed in tow, check water then change back and set off for work. Have a shower etc first thing so avoid doing too much with horse in the morning, then do everything when finish work in the evning.
smile.gif

Nickymac

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

How far do you travel?

[/ QUOTE ]
About 20 metres!

[/ QUOTE ]What time do you get there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Six-ish, earlier if I've got an extra one to ride.

[/ QUOTE ]What do you do when you get there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Tack up and ride, tack up and ride and some mornings tack up and ride again! (Lucky cow, I've got them on part livery!)
Then 20 metres back to flat to have bath, get changed and 45 minutes to work.

Doublethyme

Visit site
8 miles (10-15 mins there, anything from 20 - 50 mins through rush hour on way back!!)

Arrive at yard any time between 5.45am and 6.30am (or 7.15 this morning when I overslept!!)

Always turn out my mare and my sister's gelding, some days turn out friend's horse as well.

Muck out/water/hay etc my mare ready for night. On evenings when I don't go back up in the winter, I also prepare feeds.

One or two days I also completely "do" my sister's horse.

Sometimes ride before work (1-2 days a week).

Should leave yard by 7.15am really to get home, shower etc before work at 9am (should really be there for 8.30am .....sssshhhh!!!). Most days though, particularly when riding, I leave yard by 8am and then battle through the horrendous traffic to throw myself in the door/shower and throw myself out the door in 20 mins!

Wouldn't life be sooo boring without it all though!
laugh.gif

Gingerbird

Visit site
I have to go two miles so not far at all, but because I have to catch a train at 7.30 to be in work for 8.30, I get to the yard at about 5.45. I change rugs for Muffin and James, muck out and then turn out. James has his breakfast in the field as he takes an age to eat! I have to make sure I'm home in time to leave the house at 7am, all washed and changed so I get to the train station on time.

Other mornings my friend turns out and I don't get up until 6.20 and go straight to work. My Mum mucks out for me on those days! Lush!

Blazingkate

carlingblacklabel.piczo.com
I actually do mine after work, but then again I finish work at 9 so
tongue.gif
But I go to work, turnout, muck out and do haynets. Then I bike up the yard which takes about 15mins, feed mine n my mates. Turn them out. Muck mine out, do his water, haylage, get feeds ready etc. and then sweep the yard.

Benjamin

www.freewebs.com
Ok, I live at my yard.
I get up about 5.30. Feed ALL the horsies that are in, about 40 now.
I then muck out. I have been leaving Benj in until I have showered and got ready for work and then I turn him out.

I now put to all of you, would you travel for 30 mins (not too sure of mileage) to get to the yard for 6 am, JUST TO TURN OUT?? No rug changes or anything?
There is someone who will turn out for £1.
Is that just mental? If I was travelling that far to turn out, I would get up about 20 mins earlier and at least muck out!!!!