The most bouncy canter in the world!

Fat_Pony

Visit site
My 4 year old has just been backed and has been ridden for 3 weeks now. I'm pleased with him - he has taken everything in his stride. But OMG his canter is uncomfortable! He doesn't really go forward very much - it is proppy and he needs to cover more ground. It is impossible to sit to it is so bouncy! He does the exact same canter when loose, so it is not just the addition of a rider that has caused it.

Obviously I am not too worried as he has just been backed. My plan is to hack out a few times a week to build his strength and hoping the addition of some canter in a nice straight line in 2 point seat out hacking will get him more forward.

Any other ideas? It literally bounces you out of the saddle and my feet bounce up and down in the stirrups being frequently lost! I swear it is impossible to sit to! Will I spend my whole life in 2 point seat?

mulberrymill

Visit site
I wouldnt even be considering cantering so early on. He needs to be strong enough to balance otherwise you risk all sorts of problems. Keep to walk and trot until he is stronger and more balanced and able to work in a rhythm.

smja

Visit site
Just stay in a light seat. There's no need to sit yet.

If your feet are bouncing up and down in the stirrups, it suggests that your knees/legs are holding too much tension - why don't you do some low key exercises/stretches to help you keep your legs relaxed?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I rather like a bit of bounce; better than the wall-of-death approach of many youngsters. Unless the horse has a serious problem with balance then there is no problem with a bit of canter from the very start.

Fat_Pony

Visit site
He is pretty well balanced - can happily canter quite rhythmically full laps of arena and 20m circles.

Obviously I am only doing very small amounts and not asking for laps and laps of canter or 20m circles, but since he has a nice rhythm that he is able to stay in easily there was no reason not to introduce small amounts of canter.

No wall of death from him Cortez, we need a bit more forward if anything!

He has hacked out around the block on his own today and he's now going to have two it three weeks off and then I'll hop back on and start hacking out regularly to build up his strength.

Smja - I agree with the tension in my legs. I have scoliosis and my lower back is often very stiff and can be quite fixed which means my legs are too. Any exercise suggestions?

Riding in dressage saddle at the moment so not the easiest thing to do 2 point seat in!