The most horrific morning. Heartbroken

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Always always shoot them please, to many do not go easily, I know the sound of the gun is upsetting for you to hear, but for the horse it is instant. They are not aware of anything untoward going to happen, they can be eating a feed, and enjoying a meal, please remember this, I am so sorry to hear what you went through, but more so the horse. just dreadful xx

I'm sure it wasn't your intention but your post I s extremely tactless & also uninformed.

Surbie

Visit site
Am really sorry you've had this. I haven't been through putting a loved horse to sleep, but it's going to be in my future at some point.

Much sympathy - and totally agree with the other posters: you did the best for your horse that you knew to do, it's not your fault and your horse was loved and looked after for 17 years. Lots of good things to remember.

popsdosh

Visit site
I'm so sorry. I don't suppose for a minute that she was aware of what was going on. Once their circulation collapses drugs don't get taken to the relevant part of the body, I had one PTS by injection and it was the same, apparently as she had gone into shock and her circulation had gone.

The vet wouldn't have had back up as a lot of vets now do not have the license for a humane killer, round here only the older vets still use it.

Thank heavens for your farmer neighbour.

You do not need a licence for a humane captive bolt gun only for a free bullet pistol

fawaz

Visit site
Don't beat yourself up. At least she is at peace now. You did what your vet advised you was right.

Generally old horses with compromised circulatory systems are not advised to be euthanised by lethal injection. Bullet or Bolt gun is best.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
So sorry OP, please please do not beat yourself up about this. Thank you for being so brave and honest and talking about it. I always thought that the injection was quick and effective. Sending a virtual hug and glass of something strong xxx

JJones

Visit site
Thank you all for your kind words.
I think over the past 40 odd years of owning horses I've probably had 9 pts all by injection bar one who had to be shot quickly. I've also held many more for friends and whilst working for a veterinary practice.
Don't let this awful experience put you off injection. Only one of my horses has ever fought it following sedation, it's normally quick & peaceful leaving the owner with small comfort.
Yesterday was like a nightmare but as you say she's at peace now and hopefully she wasn't aware of anything other than confusion.
Thank you.

Nettle123

Visit site
I am so sorry that you had to go through this. We had the same scenario a few years ago, I think it was my first post on the forum. Our girl took over an hour to go and I was on the phone to the chap with the gun when she went. It was truly horrendous and upset us terribly as we had had her from a foal. I wrote to the Senior Partner at our vets for answers.

She sent me a three page handwritten letter explaining that our girl would have felt and known nothing about it. I trust her implicitly and it really helped. Since that time we have had another 4 pts by both methods and it has been completely peaceful.

I hope you will feel better soon, your girl is at peace now. Thinking of you.

MDB

Visit site
So sorry to read this OP. I don't really have any words of advice. It must have been dreadful. I guess if it were me I would try to remember all the good times and love that you gave your horse over the years rather than the last 5 or 10 minutes. How were you to know? It isn't your fault. If it is any consolation, I have seen many resuscitations on people, several unsuccesful, one in particular (a long time ago) where the person fought on for easily 45 minutes. I am pretty sure that they were totally unsconscious and aware of nothing. Even though they were moving around, gasping, and their eyes were open, there was nothing in there, it was reflexes... and resus was stopped. I don't mean this comment to be offensive in any way, just that I expect your horse was long gone and aware of nothing well before her heart stopped. xxxx

Amirah

Visit site
So so sorry, I went through a bad pts with a dog and I know how you're feeling. We can only do the best we can with the knowledge we have available at the time. Sending hugs xxx

touchstone

Visit site
I'm sorry, the same thing happened to my mare and it still haunts me. However, I've also witnessed a shooting go wrong, which was far worse. You did your best for your horse and I'm sure she wouldn't have been that aware. I hope you can remember the happier times that you shared with her, this was simply a snapshot in all the good things that happened, and that is what is important to remember, how she lived and not how she died.

Sauerkraut

Visit site
Oh my gosh. Reading this makes me feel sick thinking about tomorrow when my boy has his final day.

I'm so sorry you had such a horrific experience.

dizzyneddy

Visit site
So sorry for your loss & the tough time she had. Please don't beat yourself up about it, it was one of those things. When my boy was pts he was a pain to sedate for his operation he fought the drugs. When he'd been operted on and it was to no avail l knew he would fight the injection so requested the gun to be used.

There's no right way or wrong way what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Lots of people prefer the injection but l will always request a gun to be used.

Spottyappy

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your mare.
I witnessed one go wrong too, which still upsets me, 3years on.
However, it was a short term event, and considering what life would have been like without taking the hard decision to end the horses life, it really was the best and only decision.
I hope you take all the time you need from what you saw, and can - in time- remember the good things.

claracanter

Visit site
So sorry to hear this OP. Please don't blame yourself. As others have said, I 'm sure your mare was unaware of what was going on. Please take peace in the wonderful times you had together

honetpot

Visit site
I am so sorry for you, it is awful to see. You were doing the right thing and the same reason that the drugs did not work will have made it that there would have been no 'sense' of what was happening.

Mule

Visit site
I'm so sorry. The same thing happened to my poor mare in March. I couldn't believe it was happening. I had her put down so she wouldn't suffer and the vet ended up causing her to suffer. I had her for 18 years. She was a companion horse and I still miss her. She seemed to sense what was going to happen before the vet gave the injection. I think she picked up on our nerves. I felt like I'd betrayed her somehow. I just think about how she had a good life and I tried to do right by her x

SpringArising

Visit site
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. What a horrible experience but please don't beat yourself up too much. You did what you thought was for the best and what millions of others would do, too. Hug from me x