The most useless horsy item you have ever bought?

Tobiano

Visit site
So what is the most useless horsy item you have ever bought?

this question just occurred to me as I have sat through 40 minutes of terror listening to my girth buckles bashing my washing machine's glass door - after having carefully bought and attached 2 'girth buckle bags' which detached themselves within a minute. :mad: Hah!!

I did only pay £5 for them but still....!

SadKen

Visit site
A laminshield lick. He hates it, won't lick it, and it's decaying in the corner of my stable (will be binned as part of the summer clean up). It was 30 quid!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
A stupid little gadget that is basically a short piece of bungee with a plastic catch that you put between the horse's lead rope and the tie up ring, so that when the horse pulls back it doesn't break free. Absolutely useless - when the horse pulls back it just undoes itself :confused:. Stick to using the inner tube of a push bike's tyre.

sandi_84

Visit site
Lincon Muddy Buddy for mud fever - it was like glue! I put it on once and it took months to get it off (I didn't want to cut his feathers), washing it didn't work no matter how much I shampooed it, brushing it didn't work because even when stabled for a couple of days it stayed moist enough it just stuck his feathers together in clumps. His legs ended up a muddy sticky mess :(
Total waste of money. Now I just stick to baby oil and sudocreme - it works and is easy to get off :)

Circe

Visit site
A gel pad for under my saddle.
I put it on, my tb broke free and went up the drive like a rodeo horse bucking. Turned around at the end of the drive and came back down bucking like mad, then stood in front of me with a " get it off NOW" look.
I took it off and I've never been game to try it again.
Kx

Vindaloo

Visit site
A pair of draw reins - never used
A harbridge -never used
Grazing muzzle - never used
An Arab for jumping - enough said (ok not specifically for jumping but you get my drift)
Equiport tendon boots - never used
Pikeur show jacket - still in wrapper

There are more...

sandi_84

Visit site
A stupid little gadget that is basically a short piece of bungee with a plastic catch that you put between the horse's lead rope and the tie up ring, so that when the horse pulls back it doesn't break free. Absolutely useless - when the horse pulls back it just undoes itself :confused:. Stick to using the inner tube of a push bike's tyre.

Oh aye and I bought an equi-tie because my old yard had no baler twine on their tie up rings. It just kept coming undone at the slightest movement and was generally a bit useless :rolleyes:

Tobiano

Visit site
Pikeur show jacket - still in wrapper

Oops yes I forgot the 2 pairs of Pikeur breeches which were just a TINY bit tight and I knew I'd soon be able to fit into them.... 5 years ago. I cant admit defeat so they are still in the drawer with all tags on.

Achinghips

Visit site
Cable ties someone suggested instead of baling cord on tie up rings........... They last about one minute each.

pistolpete

Visit site
I bought a poll pad to turn my bridle into a 'comfort' bridle, turned it into an uncomfortable bridle in seconds! Headshaking was the clue!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Flymask-turns into a grazing muzzle very quickly

Grazing muzzle-gets it off under 1 minute

Lickit holder-clueless as to how to use it despite being taught

Dressage outfit, white jods, gaiters, jacket-all still in wrappers and now I have no transport (or desire to compete! :eek:)

Half the rugs I have-never get used

Tons of 'spare' bridles etc, never get used

Draw reins-still in bag

Jods I will fit into-if there's suddenly a famine, maybe!

Face brush-pointless for cobs!

Loads of stuff, I should have a massive clear out!

LadyRascasse

Visit site
Pessoa saddle - hate it so only used it 5 times

white bandages - never used

I am sure there are lots but nothing that springs to mind.

indie999

Visit site
Face brush(like velvet) for a 24/7 mud cob
Plastic mane comb(& metal one for that matter too...hoof pick works just as well to untangle)
Horselyx(Molasses tub one....eaten in one day).
Big hole hay net it all falls out
Bot knife(it did sort of work but on cremello well waste of time)
Devils claw when I realised it had sugar in it and it did 0.
Various fly lotions and potions...until discovered flypor and good old tub sudocreme or udder cream for the nibbled bits and dangly bobs on gelding.

We did like the ball with the pony nuts that you put inside but problem that it kept rolling under the electric fence or any fence unless stock proof. But you would need a perfect paddock for that product(although it was good). It is currently full of water somewhere in the shed.

Plastic dustbins too. How stupid what was I thinking!

Buds_mum

Visit site
Snuggly jams. Look great for a photo shoot making horse look cute as cuddly little leopard.
But utterly impractical, slip back, too hot for him even fully clipped on -5 snowy night!

slumdog

Visit site
I want some snuggly jams for mine but they're pricey!
I bought a bsja jumping pony that jacked it after two weeks and now won't jump 2 foot. If that counts lol!
I tried my luck with a £30 new (yes new!) saddle, its never been worn lol

Greylegs

Visit site
Prolite back riser pad to level out a saddle on a pony who was changing shape and muscling up. Terrible thing as it just kept slipping out backwards and so was effectively useless.

Also, a pair of Old Mac G2 boots which he loathes and won't wear - or at least he will but flatly refuses to go any faster than an offended plod in them. total waste of time.

snopuma

Visit site
I bought one of those sponge brushes with the handle you fill up with shampoo, turns out you end up wasting a whole bottle of shampoo on one bath for the horse, in the bin it went!

a fly rug from derby house recently bought, I have made so many alterations to it to get it to vaguely fit my TB I'm not sure they modelled it on a horse, maybe an elephant??

Shantara

Visit site
Something that you put on your stirrup, that's meant to make it easier to get on a naught horse. WELL! it was a bit too long and thankfully for both me and Ned, he was ok, despite me kicking him on the bum and struggling to get into the saddle! Never again!!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
A very expensive piece of leather which attaches to the bit and you attach your reins to, meant to balance contact......what was I thinking!! Rubbish you just can't steer, I use it to clip unused lead ropes to now....much better use.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
equi_close_contact_chaps11.jpg

^ These flipping useless things (Equilibrium turnout chaps).