The most useless horsy item you have ever bought?

Anna*

Visit site
Suber pad. Made my lovely saddle feel awful. Stuck with it for 3 months before putting on eBay - hated it! (In the interest of balance, lots of people LOVE them!) ;)

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Haha definitely my mare ;)

As for equipment...
The safety rubber ties, useless- there is nothing wrong with twine and they are overpriced.
Fleece Rugs- what is the point?! horrible things, they slip back, rub, can't be used in the stable as they just slip back and attract all bedding... don't even get me started on using them as under-rugs ! :eek:
Happy mouth bits..
This silly body brush, mane/tail brush and sweatscraper in one device- it just fell to bits :rolleyes:

There is more, can't think of them right now though

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
- A fly rug- he was petrified of it and wouldn't let anyone but me put it on and even that took 10 minutes! Pretty useless given i am on part livery and they do morning turn out!

-a fly mask- as above!

-neck covers- he is also scared of them!

LizzieRC1313

Visit site
A £500 Ryder dressage saddle that didn't fit old horse, doesn't fit new horse and is basically the bane of my life trying to sell it! Grrr, biggest waste of money!

LynH

Visit site
My beagler, wore it to a few dressage comps and one Area Festival them the rules changed so it's sitting in it's lovely hat bag doing nothing.

ribbons

Visit site
Some ridiculous contraption to worm and administer medicine to un cooperative horse. A plastic bit with a hole in the middle attached to a skeleton bridle. Syringe meds/wormer into end of bit.
Total faff and waste of time, horse got less of the dose than
when he and I wrestled round the stable.

AMW

Visit site
another one who bought Snuggyhood jams, luckily in the sale, what a faff and the ponies hated the sound of the velcro lol.
At least they sold well on ebay

indie999

Visit site
A full wax coat to cover the saddle (just like the queen wears). Horrid thing, smells of candle wax, is heavy, takes forever to dry out. Just utterly awful.

budley95

Visit site
3 foot fence posts to divide my field. Pony just popped over them when I was trying to catch him... Over and over so I had to keep climbing through to try and keep up. They're being used for a 13.2 now for strip grazing :-D

Olliecp77

Visit site
A jumbo horse toothbrush, I was raging when there wasn't some special toothpaste type thing with it and the horse just chewed it and the bristles came out. He enjoyed chewing it though :) Still get teased about it. And it was about £25 I think

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Snuggly jams were fab for a mate's horse who impaled herself and ripped open all the way from her chest to her udders! :eek: Kept the wound clean.

Hippona

Visit site
Suber pad. Made my lovely saddle feel awful. Stuck with it for 3 months before putting on eBay - hated it! (In the interest of balance, lots of people LOVE them!) ;)

I bought one from eBay....possibly yours? :p
Never actually rode in it....Just balanced the saddle on top and thought WTF:confused:
Sold it on at a profit so some people obviously like em....

starryeyed

Visit site
Snuggly jams. Look great for a photo shoot making horse look cute as cuddly little leopard.

This image made me grin - love the look of snuggly jams! :D

For me:

- Equipings. I decided to buy a load of them because I thought they'd look so much smarter than baler twine all around the yard / on the side of the lorry. Read dodgy reviews, but then read that they'd been improved and that convinced me to spend far too much money on colourful bits of plastic. They haven't been improved enough! Mare has never been the type to hang around and has now learnt that if she leans back, she can leave without me. Not ideal! Spent many hours of my life scrabbling around on the floor to find the little loopy bit, have now given up and gone back to tatty bits of pink twine as colourful plastic lies in a drawer just in case it can ever be used for a horse with manners.

- An expensive fluffy sheepskin girth cover. She'd always worn a black one, but it was getting a bit scruffy so I decided to treat her to a nice new one. Drove for miles to nearest tack shop, they only had white in stock. Impractical, I thought, black would be better - but it will be fine and she will look pretty poncing about in it. Happily drove back with my fluffy purchase on the back seat.
Turns out, white was absolutely not fine and it was not a decision I should have made without first discussing with her highness. No exaggeration when I say she nearly killed me, I have never seen such a massive overreaction to a bit of dead sheep in my life (especially considering that she's always had it, has fluffy booties & fluffy bits on her bridle to protect her delicate face) - she had me squashed up against the stable door with her feet either side of my head as she tried to launch herself out of the stable with the girth cover hanging off the side of her. Eventually took door off hinges and sent me and saddle (now with hole in the side) flying across the yard as she disappeared over the horizon.
I have tried to persevere with the terrifying bit of sheep, thinking that she will in time get used to it. I dont think she ever will. It spends its days sitting on the post and rail fence of her field in nice weather while she bombs round and round the field in a panic until I take it away later on.
It needs to go. :rolleyes:

- Fleece rugs. Why do I have so many when all they do is get covered in shavings and fur??? Why do I need so many "spares" for "special occasions" ???

- A load of brand new breeches which are too big, never been worn but I don't want to sell them because they cost a lot new and I know i'll only get £5 on ebay if I'm lucky - but what good are they doing in the drawer?

- The lorry. Technically, I did not buy it - but it is well and truly useless. It cannot get 5 minutes down the road without breaking down & nobody seems to be able to fix it. It is now becoming a shed as we are too petrified to venture out in it but obviously won't be able to sell it to anyone who is actually wanting to be able to leave the premises with their horse.

Last edited:

Highlands

Visit site
Some ridiculous contraption to worm and administer medicine to un cooperative horse. A plastic bit with a hole in the middle attached to a skeleton bridle. Syringe meds/wormer into end of bit.
Total faff and waste of time, horse got less of the dose than
when he and I wrestled round the stable.

That gadget saved my life from 15.2 of mad trad than used to stand up when wormed

khalswitz

Visit site
That gadget saved my life from 15.2 of mad trad than used to stand up when wormed

My old one used to be awful. A friend recommended regularly giving him apple puree in a syringe, to get him thinking a syringe was a good thing and to look forward to worming.

This terrified him more than any wormer ever did, and was only able to give him chewable wormers from there on in...

BigYellowHorse

Visit site
I have one saddle pad thing, bit like polystyrene - think its by wintec or something, anyway mice got to it and seemed to like it more than I did. It was only £1.50 so no massive loss.

A canary yellow shirt I am yet to wear, one burgundy stock I can't tie and hence one unused stock pin, few pairs of jodphurs (nothing special derby house and a second hand pair off ebay) that are yet to make an appearance into the outside world. Pair of white gloves ready for the amazing dressage debut.. its been several years of build up and yet to get into the ring, so better be bloomin amazing when I do! lol

A set off xc boots I bought at vast expensive to try and protect my TB match stick legs only to find they rubbed him within one hack and now has a nice blob of white hair there :mad: They sit in a box somewhere waiting for the mice.

I know its not horsey but I have cupboards and draws of clothes I bought from my late teens to early twenties - it a was a period of low self esteem and everytime I went out I had to wear something new :rolleyes: I look at them and wince at the amount I spent and how many bags of feed that could have bought.. hey-ho. Oh and tunes downloaded from itunes... most of which wouldnt transfer from my old laptop to my new one.

liannexsx

Visit site
Field safe headcollar. What's the point? Can't lead in it and still need to get another headcollar on top of it. If horse does one it would just rip off in your hand. Why didn't I think this before I bought it.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Ref the Fieldsafe... if it is the Horseware one, I lead in mine no probs. I have another type for the pony that doesn't even stay on in the field but the Horseware one has been fab. It us the one where you have a choice if two breaking strains

WelshD

Visit site
An Oliver Townend comfort bridle for a small pony. Technically it fits but it looks horribly bulky :(

Nosey

Visit site
Loving this thread..a good antidote to all those magazine reviews that say how everything is wonderful!
For me it was a limpit pad..highly overpriced bit of grey foam that never sat up into gullet but pressed down on his withers for a couple of weeks then completely fell apart!