The most useless horsy item you have ever bought?

liz4949

Visit site
Trickle feed hay net to make his hay last longer. I should have taken more notice of his grumpy face and fierce headbutting when he tried to get hay out. Next morning it had a large nose sized hole chewed in it and a smug looking horse. Tried patching it up but gave up after he proved more determined than me.

tda

Visit site
Most useless ever was a treeless saddle, not an expensive one but it had good reviews. The quality was awful and it did nothing for my position so got sold on.

My second most useless purchase was made one particularly wet winter. I purchased what was termed a 'Rainbeater suit' by Mountain Horse.

When it arrived it was this weird rubbery material in dark green. I wasn't too bothered as I only had to walk to the end of the village and to the twenty acre field that the bottom of the village backs on to. The next day or so it was torrential rain, so I suashed into this rubbery contraption and made my way to the field, quite smug at staying dry for once.

The two ponies I was bringing in thought differently about it though, one look and it was heads up, tails up and off snorting. I thought I would persevere and traipsed up and down the field with the ponies doing their best dragon impressions and throwing in the odd squeal for good measure.

After going up and down the field for what seemed like hours - including the blooming big hill in the middle I went back home to return with a bucket of never failed yet feed. By this point I was sweating like a stuck pig and steaming, but confident in getting them in with feed. I get through the gate with feed and nope - same reaction. I ended up stripping off in the middle of the field in order to get anywhere neat them. Never wore it again after that. :mad:

Brilliant - this made me laugh out loud!!!!

lucindakay

Visit site
A stupid little gadget that is basically a short piece of bungee with a plastic catch that you put between the horse's lead rope and the tie up ring, so that when the horse pulls back it doesn't break free. Absolutely useless - when the horse pulls back it just undoes itself :confused:. Stick to using the inner tube of a push bike's tyre.

those things are supposed to break for safety

becca1305

Visit site
Lots of things come to mind but most recently- A waterproof saddle cover, fab idea but so blooming slidey! Relegated for walk hacks (with minimal spooky spots) only!!

One More

Visit site
Got to be a massively expensive amerigo combination breastplate. I cannot for the life of me get it to fit any horse, the proportions are just so odd! Can't convince myself to part with it though as it is lovely and hoping an odd shaped horse will walk into my yard one day that can wear it!

Blythe Spirit

Visit site
Great thread but where to start!!

1. some daft saddle pad with inflatable bits at the front and the back intended to level out the feel of the saddle... seemed to be the answer to all my problems on the plastic horse in the shop but funnily enough was less effective - it made not a jot of difference on my real horse. the only solution to feeling like I was skiing downhill all the time was to school the horse - duh!

2. stupid gel saddle pad which saddler convinced me (against my better judgement) was the only thing able to make my TB comfortable in his saddle - instead it gave him a HUGE blister the first time it was ever used and meant he couldn't be ridden for a month whist it healed!

3. gamgee and bandages - why did I ever think this would be easier than travelling boots - used once and replaced with boots.

4. several tail guards to stop TB rubbing tail in lorry - all of which ended on the floor in the poop after about 5 mins of trip I assume as tail still rubbed. Good old fashioned Vaseline works better than the tail guard

just open my garden shed for about another 100 useless to me horsey items which i have purchased over the years!!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
This image made me grin - love the look of snuggly jams! :D

For me:

- An expensive fluffy sheepskin girth cover. She'd always worn a black one, but it was getting a bit scruffy so I decided to treat her to a nice new one. Drove for miles to nearest tack shop, they only had white in stock. Impractical, I thought, black would be better - but it will be fine and she will look pretty poncing about in it. Happily drove back with my fluffy purchase on the back seat.
Turns out, white was absolutely not fine and it was not a decision I should have made without first discussing with her highness. No exaggeration when I say she nearly killed me, I have never seen such a massive overreaction to a bit of dead sheep in my life (especially considering that she's always had it, has fluffy booties & fluffy bits on her bridle to protect her delicate face) - she had me squashed up against the stable door with her feet either side of my head as she tried to launch herself out of the stable with the girth cover hanging off the side of her. Eventually took door off hinges and sent me and saddle (now with hole in the side) flying across the yard as she disappeared over the horizon.
I have tried to persevere with the terrifying bit of sheep, thinking that she will in time get used to it. I dont think she ever will. It spends its days sitting on the post and rail fence of her field in nice weather while she bombs round and round the field in a panic until I take it away later on.
It needs to go. :rolleyes:

i'm sorry but this had me in fits of giggles

probably the most pointless thing would be when i was a eleven i saved up for ages so i could buy one of those fancy likit balls that hang from the veiling and spin or whatever....mare completely ignored it all winter

Shantara

Visit site
- An expensive fluffy sheepskin girth cover. She'd always worn a black one, but it was getting a bit scruffy so I decided to treat her to a nice new one. Drove for miles to nearest tack shop, they only had white in stock. Impractical, I thought, black would be better - but it will be fine and she will look pretty poncing about in it. Happily drove back with my fluffy purchase on the back seat.
Turns out, white was absolutely not fine and it was not a decision I should have made without first discussing with her highness. No exaggeration when I say she nearly killed me, I have never seen such a massive overreaction to a bit of dead sheep in my life (especially considering that she's always had it, has fluffy booties & fluffy bits on her bridle to protect her delicate face) - she had me squashed up against the stable door with her feet either side of my head as she tried to launch herself out of the stable with the girth cover hanging off the side of her. Eventually took door off hinges and sent me and saddle (now with hole in the side) flying across the yard as she disappeared over the horizon.
I have tried to persevere with the terrifying bit of sheep, thinking that she will in time get used to it. I dont think she ever will. It spends its days sitting on the post and rail fence of her field in nice weather while she bombs round and round the field in a panic until I take it away later on.
It needs to go. :rolleyes:

PMSL!!!

I was a little bit naughty and tacked Ned up...I'd bought a swishy new sheepskin seat saver.
I did it to test how he'd be when I finally got back on..

I put it on and he did those mini-bronk things! One after the other, over and over...I was pooing myself as I thought he was reacting to tack!! I really didn't want to get back on.
I stopped him and took the seat saver and he instantly calmed down. Idiot horse! Like yours, he was fine with his old one!!

TrasaM

Visit site
Nah......I bought one of those!
Then I realised I could have simply let the stirrup down hald a dozen holes.....

And me! Was meant to be a solution for getting back on in case of emergency or unplanned dismount on hacks. Couldn't be bothered to attach it to saddle on way out for hack so it's still unused in car boot!

Nannon

Visit site
Another for the likit holder - my boy ignored it wherever it was! The flies quite enjoyed it though once it went mouldy :/
Also spent £70 on a lovely English leather head collar complete with engraved nameplate at Olympia. Told the stall holders it was for a tb who wears cob head collars and cob bridles... They said he needs a full size and it's absolutely massive on him :( waste of money!
Bought a dressage saddle off eBay for £40 a few weeks ago and ridden in it once, very comfy but I completely forget how to ride!

Dunlin

Visit site
Likit Snack Ball - Ignored it
Decahedron Treat Ball - Ignored it
Gum Bits - Seemed to encourage a little nibbling routine when tacking up unless he got his chewy mints!
Sprenger Stirrups - Broke the first time I used them (they did replace them FOC though and it was a one off)
The lovely (expensive) velvet I bought that doesn't fit my HS1
I have to put on here my H2000 hat, it's so enormous I look ridiculous wearing it and ended up buying a cheapo show hat instead that didn't make me look like a lollipop!
Every single fly veil I buy - End up torn off and stomped into the ground by the one sporting a matted mohican looking guilty in the far corner of the field!!

nix123

Visit site
A Haybar total waste of space and money! :mad: All it does is allow your horse (or all 4 of mine) to spread their hay all over the stable floor, walking it in with wee & poo and wasting it because they wont eat it then :mad::mad:

Visit site
H20 bag as already described, in fact 2 of these, don't know why I thought the second would be any more use than the first.
Easytie things
Stirrup lengthener
Rug chest extender which I couldnt use as realised rug only had one set of buckles to fit it to and then
clips
Two different sets of soft hock boots for horse with sore on hocks, Velcro ripped off the boot first time out and also boot wouldn't stay on the hock, ended up warming his fetlock instead.

Greylegs ROFL re your horses "offended plod"

wiglet

Visit site
When the Rambo Fly rugs first hit the shops - the original green ones - I bought one for my mare. She took one look at me walking over to her in the field with it and cantered off. Never did get it on her - I believe it's in my garage somewhere.

Anky saddle pad and matching bandages. Absolutely not a hope in hell of my girl standing still long enough for me to get the bandages on.

Waterproof over-trousers and coat... like I'd ride in the rain

Thermatex rug - beautiful thing and I often look at it but, it's way to nice for a horse to wear

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
Most useless ever was a treeless saddle, not an expensive one but it had good reviews. The quality was awful and it did nothing for my position so got sold on.

My second most useless purchase was made one particularly wet winter. I purchased what was termed a 'Rainbeater suit' by Mountain Horse.

When it arrived it was this weird rubbery material in dark green. I wasn't too bothered as I only had to walk to the end of the village and to the twenty acre field that the bottom of the village backs on to. The next day or so it was torrential rain, so I suashed into this rubbery contraption and made my way to the field, quite smug at staying dry for once.

The two ponies I was bringing in thought differently about it though, one look and it was heads up, tails up and off snorting. I thought I would persevere and traipsed up and down the field with the ponies doing their best dragon impressions and throwing in the odd squeal for good measure.

After going up and down the field for what seemed like hours - including the blooming big hill in the middle I went back home to return with a bucket of never failed yet feed. By this point I was sweating like a stuck pig and steaming, but confident in getting them in with feed. I get through the gate with feed and nope - same reaction. I ended up stripping off in the middle of the field in order to get anywhere neat them. Never wore it again after that. :mad:

This made my day :D thankyou!

Landcruiser

Visit site
I use my H2Go all the time :)
But I DONT use my padded Hi Viz full chaps bought on the eve of a successful diet, which are now so big on the waist that they fall down when I'm standing still, which is just as well because they are so slidey I'd be off the side of the saddle anyway.
The stirrup extender thingy. Never used.
Countless treeless and western saddles until I finally got one properly fitted. Most sold at a profit on ebay, except the Barefoot I'd bought new.
Cheap leaky rugs. Only buy good brands now.
A gel pad for under the saddle. Horse freaked. I think it pulled his hair! It was very sticky.
A rather expensive set of sports boots which extend down the fetlock and act as overreach boots as well. Didn't fit but I stupidly put them on him anyway and filthied them so I couldn't send them back.
Mark Todd over reach boots with heel button to stop them turning round. Yeah, right. Turned AND rubbed him raw.
Oh dear, I could go on...and on.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
When the Rambo Fly rugs first hit the shops - the original green ones - I bought one for my mare. She took one look at me walking over to her in the field with it and cantered off. Never did get it on her - I believe it's in my garage somewhere.
Oooohhhh.......... um, IF you find it, don't suppose its a 6'3" by any chance? Coz if so I'd be interested!!! Just wondering.

Jazmyn101

Visit site
peppermint bit wipes,
not big enough to clean my horses bit and the smell doesn't last!

treat ball,
was actually very good, my horse loved it but got too attached. She got wayyyyy to possessive over it and kicked out at me and just missed my face when I went in her stable. She has had it confiscated and won't have unless a very special occasion!

wiglet

Visit site
Oooohhhh.......... um, IF you find it, don't suppose its a 6'3" by any chance? Coz if so I'd be interested!!! Just wondering.
It's a 6ft - sorry :(
However.... I do have a 6.3" version of it but, that one was worn by my other horse for a summer (don't use it now because she prefers the softer type of fly rug). If you're interested PM me and I'll have a look for it over the weekend (it's bagged up in the garage along with a billion other rugs) Once I find it I will let you know it's condition and can send you a pic?

clippi

Visit site
Pony sized travel boots - turns out they're too big for the pony and too small for the arab (he looks like he's wearing ankle boots)
Pony travel bandages - the Velcro fastening is too long and flaps around catching on pony's other leg and effectively unravelling them
Pony now travels naked
Turn out wraps - very effective at trapping mud inside and holding it wet against the skin
Any lead ropes that are fastened by the rope folding back on itself and wrapped in a bit of metal - pony ALWAYS breaks them

JLD

Visit site
great great thread - so glad to see so many of us were sucked into the stirrup extender ! mine was so heavy I couldnt take it out with me and is never used, my horse was also terrified of his licket ball , and I got fed up with looking at my rs tor as i went past it as I fell off, coz I had let go of it at the vital moment.

StoptheCavalry

Visit site
I'm so thick - I never realised the handle is meant to be a hoof pick! I just thought it was useful for wrapping hair round whilst pulling/having a bit more to hold on to/parting the mane whilst plaiting.

I think my use for it is much better - why in gods name would you need a comb-come-hoof pick?!!

Oh god I've just twigged that is what the other end of my comb is for. I just thought that it just came like that, it never entered my mind to pick his feet out with it!!