The Myler bit... Should I? Or should I not?

AGray825

Visit site
So a while back I made a thread about my strong,fast ex-showing pony (http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...LEASE-Reschooling-a-very-fast-ex-showing-pony <---- in case anyone wants to read her backstory)

Now our trot has gotten a lot better through the training we've been doing after I asked my instructor to ride her to see where I was going wrong and she agreed that she's a very difficult pony but has given me some tips which are working in the trot and the walk, but her canter is still insane. Also noticed yesterday that on one side she's repeatedly rushing and taking off on the wrong leg? That might have been because it's been over a week since I last worked her and she was excitable as she hadn't been doing it before yesterday's session.

Recently, however, we had a lesson a couple of week back (had to cancel one last week cause it was just too hot!) and during that lesson my instructor mentioned that she's still trying to run away with me and has suggested switching to a Myler bit to see if she'll listen to my aids more

These are expensive bits and I'm just wondering if people would agree with the suggestion to change bits, or should I continue with training as I am and wait for the canter to calm down in the same way the trot has?

Was also thinking about introducing some grid work to address straightness issues, but I'm not sure if it would help and get her mind on something else or exacerbate her speed through excitement?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

OldieButGoodie

Visit site
I've used Myler 'real' bits but now have a cheaper Myler 'style' bit which is very similar to the Myler but has an extra feature (its a loose ring with a low port for the horse's large tongue but has bit sleeves to protect the mouth). I got it from Horse Bit Fit who came out and did a consultation first.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I would be checking the reason that she's finding one rein more difficult recently first, particularly if it's a recent change.

I wouldn't rush to change bit until you know she is comfortable.

AGray825

Visit site
I would be checking the reason that she's finding one rein more difficult recently first, particularly if it's a recent change.

I wouldn't rush to change bit until you know she is comfortable.

Oh I'm fairly certain it was an excitability thing, if only because once she'd calmed down a bit she started taking off consistently on the correct lead and was balanced (just very speedy, which can throw off my own rhythm for a couple strides)
We have another lesson on Friday and I'll ask my instructor if she looks off at all from an observational stand point though.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
The only time I've had a horse consistently run into and through canter with me was a horse who was simply lacking in confidence and balance so rushed. Once I put more inside leg on and really supported her through the corner in canter she slowed down. I'm not suggesting the answer is that easy for you but I'd be interested to know if she does the same on the lunge.

Conversely, my lad rushes on the lunge from a lack of balance, or breaks to trot with a rider. For him it comes down to having the core strength to balance and hold himself through a corner in canter; without a rider he'll motorbike it, with a rider he'll be sensible and break into trot.

AGray825

Visit site
The only time I've had a horse consistently run into and through canter with me was a horse who was simply lacking in confidence and balance so rushed. Once I put more inside leg on and really supported her through the corner in canter she slowed down. I'm not suggesting the answer is that easy for you but I'd be interested to know if she does the same on the lunge.

Conversely, my lad rushes on the lunge from a lack of balance, or breaks to trot with a rider. For him it comes down to having the core strength to balance and hold himself through a corner in canter; without a rider he'll motorbike it, with a rider he'll be sensible and break into trot.

I think she does have a lack of balance as she's consistent with how she moves regardless of whether she's ridden or long-lined (I don't tend to loose lunge her unless I'm just trying to get the fizziness out of her). When you can get her to balance properly and not rush so much, she struggles and falls back in to trot (because I guess that's easier than an unrushed canter!)

Actually I do wonder if anyone has come across these before:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GOMs95LIDnyh7PEx58wfPe1DVp_fNss6/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-SAs7opzRtUt3HeKZIr3yrX7-X_Bla7M/view?usp=sharing

Quite hard lines running down her neck (these were really prominent when I first got her and have since improved and softened over time)
I've never come across them before her!

KittyH

Visit site
My sj trainer suggested I change from a ns loose ring lozenge snaffle to a myler hanging cheek. My horse rushes and tucks his nose behind the vertical and is fussy in the contact. She had been to myler demos and thought he would prefer a stiller mouthpiece and the hanging cheek would help lift his shoulder. It has made a difference and helped so his schooling is more effective which is making him stronger. He now dressages in the hanging cheek, sj with a back strap on it and xc in a myler combination on the top ring. My other horse (v strong, runs through a gag) now goes xc in a myler pelham. I'm very impressed by them having not used them before this year. I've picked mine up on FB marketplace or eBay for £25-£40, but as there's a load to choose from it really is worth talking to someone myler trained who can explain the actions of the various mouthpieces and cheekpieces (and might even have some to lend you). I agree that ultimately it is a schooling issue but if a slight change of bit can help you over a stumbling block and make your schooling more effective then it's got to be worth a try.

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
I love my myler & was well worth the money for me. Can’t say if it’d work for you or not but I’d speak to the horse bit shop. You’ll be able to trial it for 30 days & pat the difference if you like it :)

Shay

Visit site
OP - are those ridges in muscle? Have you had a physio come to check her out? (Sorry - not read the previous post). If these are cramped or locked muscles she must at least be stiff if not in pain. That might account for her difficulties in balance if she is not able to use her neck comfortably?

And for what it is worth I really rate Mylers too. Have a word with the Bit bank - you can borrow for 30 days to ensure you get one that suits before splashing out on what is a very expensive bit! (I have a 5.5 combi for sale...)