The new ex-racer in my life

Akkalia1

Visit site
After owning one for 20 years and being devastated when I lost her in December, when I started looking for horses I didn't think I'd get another. But I was drawn to them and so it is that I now have another racehorse in my life. God help me!

I've posted about her a few times and have been meaning to post photos, but I always mess it up and probably will this time too.

This is Luna, she's currently 15.3 hh, she last raced on the 2nd of March and she arrived with me on the 13th March. She turned 4 in April.
She is such a sweet girl, when she first arrived her head carriage was mostly vertical and she had her adrenaline moments but she's much calmer now the majority of the time. She loves attention and scratches and picking things up in her mouth :)

Just after arrival

First day

First little photo shoot, looking like a whippet

Tummy starting to drop a little

First ride at home

She likes her neighbours

And a good snooze!

Fat tummy!

A little hack

Meeting my house cat

From ultimate athlete to total porker :)

We have a long road ahead of us, but she's a lovely mare so fingers crossed we'll get it right!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
She is lovely! I like her. I assume she came direct from a trainers yard? Very pretty girl and looks like she's taking to her new life well :)

- Nice yard too!

Akkalia1

Visit site
Thank you everyone, she is such a lovely girl.

I would absolutely love to do some RoR classes with her, that's our aim. She moves nicely too so I'd like to do some dressage as well.

Her underneck muscle was very overdeveloped, not a surprise given the way she carried her head! She'll walk with her neck relaxed now and we're getting there with trot although her instinct is to stick her head up in trot.

I got her from a lovely place who take in horses off the track, give them a bit of re-schooling and then sell them on. In Luna's case though she'd only been there a day before I saw her, so essentially straight from the training yard yes. Not sure what I was thinking lol!

I'm very lucky to have been able to put stables in my garden and my lovely boyfriend built the add on tack/feed room and hay shed and concreted the yard for me. I love it. I have one of my old mares shoes painted black and set in the concrete at the entrance - I miss her terribly.

My cat is a Birman, so very like a Ragdoll. Luna loved him but he was terrified and growled at her :D

Having been doing brilliantly we're having a few niggles ridden at the moment so I've taken a step back and want to make sure there's nothing physical going on. It may just be that she's learnt how to test me of course!

Antw23uk

Visit site
Shes lovely and your stable setup looks really cute :) I have an ID now after having an ex racer and he is amazing but I do miss having a TB!

silv

Visit site
She is so cute looking, oozing with personality I would guess. Look forward to regular updates. Can see why you like her so much.

Nicnac

Visit site
Really nice horse and love your set up. Great to see her changing shape so much and so relaxed in the field. Defo ROR!

Akkalia1

Visit site
Thank you :) She is nicely put together I think, and she has good feet hurrah! Bless her, my old mare did not and they got her in the end.

She has got bags of personality, such a lovely nature. As the farrier said this morning she has absolutely perfected the innocent look.

I've loved seeing the change in her already and am looking forward to seeing how she matures.