The new ragwort? Poisonous Corncockle.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Seeds of this plant have apparently been inadvertently included in thousands of packets of wild flower seeds distributed by BBC's Country File.

Quote: "As little as one tenth of an ounce (3 grams) of seeds reportedly providing a dose large enough to kill a horse".

No word yet from BugLife, who will no doubt be starting a campaign to stop this weed being eradicated too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...ds-poisonous-wild-flowers-across-Britain.html

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Oh Cr4p, we just found out my husband sewed a whole load of English wild flower seeds in an area next to Jay's field this spring. He just checked the web site that sold us the seeds, and that is one of the species.

We will be busy with the Round Up tomorrow :-(

Finlib

Visit site
I got a packet from Country file but fortunately planted them in a couple of pots/troughs near the house (fortunately not that close to the fields ) and so I have just spent an hour this morning dumping the lot and yes there was corncockle amoungst them They have gone on the bonfire and been burnt!
Never heard of it before

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well it was a Kew Gardens initiative that the BBC advertised so I don't think it is there fault.
I also don't see many people getting a packet of wild flower seeds to sprinkle on their grazing so am not sure I see a major issue- in fact grow wild appear to advise people not to sow the seeds near open countryside, it also has buttercups in it so I wouldn't be liberally spreading on my fields :p..... A lot of plants in people's gardens would be poisonous.

Last edited:

Dry Rot

Visit site
Quite a lot of farmers are sowing wild flower mixtures these days -- and I suspect that many are actually grant aided -- though probably not with this particular mixture! I have even contemplated it here, but thankfully I usually procrastinate if it is going to cost me money!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Well yes, not this specific mixture, it would be different if it were included in paddock mixes not for gardens.