The nights are getting darker, my thoughts turn to FIREWORKS! GRR

Keltic

Visit site
My little baby is really upset by them, the first year she was fine, but during the summer last yr our stupid next door neighbour let fireworks off next to the fence whilst she was outside having a wee, he never warned me so i could have kept her in, so now she is frightened last year it was awful she was so upset and runs round the house crying, screaming and barking. Bloody fireworks get earlier every year!! anyone have any tips??

Acolyte

Visit site
After my last greyhound was frightened to the point of trying to escape through a glass door (it was the first year we had her, we had no idea she was so terrified
frown.gif
) I resorted to ACP every year.....

I lost her in April, so not sure how the new manic black one will react, but she hasnt been bothered by the very regular fireworks let off at our local rugby club so fingers crossed
crazy.gif

Oneofthepack

Visit site
It sounds harsh but the best thing is to make them a comfy bed somewhere dark in a closed room and let them hide it out. The natural response is to try and comfort them but all the advice says this is the worst thing you can do so now I ignore them and make a den and they're a lot better.

And wait til the neighbour is fast asleep, about 3 am is good, and let off the loudest bomb firework you can get your hands on outside their bedroom window. Won't help the dog but you'll feel a lot better
tongue.gif

thedunthing

Visit site
yes my lurcher is terrified of them and usually tries to hide under the table nearly knocking the computer off or he will follow me around the house shaking, i hate them i think tey should only be used for big firework displays

sade1986

Visit site
Have the same problem with our JRT but she also dislikes various loud Going to try using a conditioning CD, you're supposed to play it really quietly and gradually increase the sound over a period of time. No idea if it will work though.

Make a secure place where she can hide and as has been said before don't fuss her as it reinforces the scared behaviour. Firework time we also make sure we close windows/curtains and turn the tv up in an attempt to dull the noise a bit.

I hate firework time too! Turns the poor dog into a manic depressive that jumps at the slightest noise. The fact people set fireworks off earlier and earlier each year doesn't help things.

genie

Visit site
I absolutely love fireworks and especially bonfire night.actually, best night of the year....but everything in a safe and reasonable place of course...

have you tried rescue remedy for the fright?...it has worked on a very highly strung great dane we had a few years ago.....not much you can really do about somebody else's inconsideracy. rescue remedy is available from many good chemists.