'the one' - when did you know?

pixie27

Visit site
When you first tried your horse, how did you know that it was 'the one'?

Was there a feeling you got? Or was it more of a 'it ticks every box' sort of thing?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I just "knew" when I got on that I had to have her. She ticked absolutely none of my boxes and wasn't even the horse I went to see, and hadn't even sold my previous one yet :p Best decision I ever made, she was one in a million and I loved her to pieces.

QuantockHills

Visit site
when he left his 6 mates and a bale of fresh haylage, to walk to the other side of the field, so he could stand next to me and have a fuss and cuddle for an hour..... he's an unbacked 3 year old Irish Draught so I wont be sitting on him for a while yet... and he wasn't the one I'd set my heart on and been up to see 3 times.... but that one didn't give me that special 'feeling'.......

Annagain

Visit site
Mine came from a dealer. Having ridden him in the arena - where he felt strong - I asked if they had somewhere I could take him for a canter / gallop to test his brakes and to see him on the road. I wanted someone else to ride him on the road first but they said I'd have to hack to a field 10 minutes away to have a gallop so their rider would have to ride a different horse with me so they had no-one to ride him on the road first. They assured me he was fine and everything else they'd said about him had proved true so I took him. The yard was right on a busy A road and within 2 minutes of getting out there, about 5 boy racers with dump valves on their Citroen Saxos came charging past us at about 70mph, changing gear as they went. Arch just kept plodding along as if Miss Daisy was passing us. I decided then and there to buy him. 12 years on his 100% trafficproofness is still the best thing about him for me.

He certainly didn't tick every box. I went to try a 15.2 Black Sec D gelding, didn't like him as he was too backwards thinking. They said they therefore had the perfect horse for me and brought out this 16.3 grey ID x something. I said he was too white and too big but they talked me into trying him and the rest is history!

rowan666

Visit site
I know before i even view normally, with my current mare I didn't though, she just ticked every box so after much umming and aahing over her I thought sod it, I can't believe I could have missed out on the most perfect pony because I didn't have the "that's the one" feeling just looking at the pics on the ad

Last edited:

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
This thing happens to your face... the corners of your lips try and touch your ears, your face stretches a bit, and your eyebrows creep up to your hairline (if you have one).

Your brain kicks in and does some calcumalations, tries to tell you to stop grimacing but your hands are already in your pockets pulling out a pen and a chequebook.

Then.... thats all you think about for about a week.

3OldPonies

Visit site
My first pony sort of grew on me. To start with I was just overjoyed at sharing him because someone else trusted me to look after him on my own and let me ride whenever, wherever, but then we started to gel over time and when they wanted to give him to me - no way was I saying no!

With H it was his eyes and his colouring that did the trick, I was so besotted with those I thought I could sort out his 'running away' problems - not a chance, but I still have him getting on for 20 years later and he did give me a good first ride when I hacked him out alone (owner to scared to sit on him and couldn't ride in the field). I reckon he thought if I just behave once then I'll get out of this field and she might have better food at her place. Cheeky devil - it worked!!! It didn't help that he had a little shetland stallion field mate, who was part of the package and I'd always wanted one of those . . .

With P it was the way he bustled round a blackberry bush to see who was coming to visit him, that and he felt so safe compared to H when I rode him (I needed safe by that time H was such a nightmare to ride). We are true soulmates - he gets SI and I also have an allergy to anything that bites me, he has a stubborn bolshy streak - and so do I (though he knows not to argue with mum), we also both have an aversion to dentists and a pretty laid back attitude unless something is annoying us!

huskydamage

Visit site
I got mine from dealer, tried in the school but all I really wanted to do was hack her out! Same day me and YO trailered her home to have on trial for 1week. Soon as we unloaded I went for hack, she bit me whilst tacking up and galloped off with me across 3 fields. My old pony spent all its time bucking me off when I cantered, so I was amazed by her speed and just great gallop! I thought this is the horse for me I'm sure I can figure out how to stop her eventually! I was a teen and did not mention these things to my mum as I just wanted her so much. 15 years later she is the best decision I ever made. I still feel excited when we go for a gallop like the first time I rode her. I've never really felt the same on any other horse, I don't know how I would ever replace her

rextherobber

Visit site
When you first tried your horse, how did you know that it was 'the one'?

Was there a feeling you got? Or was it more of a 'it ticks every box' sort of thing?

Ticked no boxes - wrong age, sex, colour, but somehow the ad caught my eye - went to view and knew the first time I saw her, before even getting on, so very glad I wasn't too caught up by sensible, practical things to go and view!

Michen

Visit site
Saw him in the field at my friends yard before he was officially up for loan and she pointed him out. I said he was bloody ugly and that I would never have "that" in my stable. Bought a sporty mare that I had to take the owner to court over and four months later he was in my stable!

Ben2684

Visit site
This thing happens to your face... the corners of your lips try and touch your ears, your face stretches a bit, and your eyebrows creep up to your hairline (if you have one).

Your brain kicks in and does some calcumalations, tries to tell you to stop grimacing but your hands are already in your pockets pulling out a pen and a chequebook.

Then.... thats all you think about for about a week.

This! I knew from the moment I met him! Owner hadn't got to yard yet but she had said I could go in and meet him etc. So me, my Instructor, my friend and my OH all piled into his stable and he loved all the fuss and attention. Didn't bat an eyelid when I rode very badly the first time (due to nerves) so when I went t back a second time took him off down the lanes in my own to relax before taking him in the school. I knew he was a step up from my other horse but his relaxed attitude and expressive face told me all I needed to know. Plus the owner was amazing and had told me the good as well as the bad and clearly wanted a good home for him. That was back in sept and we are now quite good friends!!

Vodkagirly

Visit site
When I saw his advert he sounded perfect. I called up and was surprised such a lovely horse was still for sale 7 months later. Spoke to owner and rider and they both told me at great length about his "issues" but if anything it made me more keen as they were things that I could cope with and if they were making such a big deal about them, it didn't sound like there was going to be any nasty surprises. When I rode him he seemed great if a little too lazy but I am happier kicking on rather than unable to stop. I think I was close to making a decision then but they invited me to see him at a competition the next week. At the competition, he was everything I dreamed of in a horse, despite being over weight and not really fit enough he was so honest and a nice horse to be around. I was smitten.
Brought him home and his issues disappeared quickly with no sugar and some consistent handling, he is the perfect horse for me.

pansymouse

Visit site
I just "knew" when I got on that I had to have her. She ticked absolutely none of my boxes and wasn't even the horse I went to see, and hadn't even sold my previous one yet :p Best decision I ever made, she was one in a million and I loved her to pieces.

Yep me too. I've got a strong horse sense and I knew my mare was spot on the right horse for me for our very first meeting.

js1006

Visit site
Ticked about half the boxes, wrong sex, type and colour but right personality and age.
His previous owner put him through his paces first, then suggested I jump him as she didn't like jumping. He threw his heart over those fences for me, decision made!

Shady

Visit site
I knew on the phone before i even went to see him and when i arrived his owner just said ' stand in the field and call, he'll come and follow you like a dog back to the yard, no need for a halter unless you prefer to do it all properly! '
I was smitten from the moment i saw him, riding him for the first time will stay with me for life, i'd never ridden a proper Arab before, we just floated along and i trusted him straight away.Tallyho said it perfectly :), except i also burst into tears i was so happy! to me he is one in a million and i won't have another after he goes

rhylis

Visit site
With my New Forest mare it was the minute I saw her tied on the yard when I viewed her. I'd of quite happily handed over double her asking price there and then if my OH hadn't spotted my enthusiasm and reined me in! I contained myself until after I'd ridden her then said yes very quickly.

tiga71

Visit site
My old boy, Izzy, grew on me. I was told by the rescue where I volunteered that I could have him on loan. I didn't really want him as he was called 'Asbo Izzy' for a reason and I was a total numpty novice. On paper it was a disaster waiting to happen. I hadn't even ridden him as he was so fat that they didn't have a saddle to fit him.He hadn't been ridden for a few years and was basically feral. It took me a year of a zillion lessons and many unscheduled dismounts to get to the point where I wasn't worried about riding him. Now he is my horse of a lifetime and is a superstar but it took us a while to become a partnership.

My youngster was fate. Lady at my yard had bought him as green 5 year old from Ireland. She wasn't in position to have a youngster and he soon scared her and he wasn't getting regular work. I started riding him out for her and loved him. She then said she was sending him to a dealer and I couldn't let him go to a dealer. He was quite shut down and desperate for someone to love him. I offered to buy him and she wanted too much so said no. Then went into the 16 acre field a week later to find my horse's fly mask. Floyd, the youngster, followed me around as I searched, wanting cuddles and scratches, then I found the mask and put it on my horse. I walked back down the field and Floyd followed me down to the gate. We stood a while and he just rested his muzzle on my shoulder and kept sighing and nuzzling my hair. I rang my trainer and she said 'He has chosen you. Just give her the money. It's meant to be.' So I did. And he is awesome.

Last edited:

oldie48

Visit site
I only went to see Mr B because people I trusted thought he'd be suitable. He was too big, wrong colour and wrong breed but having a lazy, school sour horse, I just loved his willingness to go forward and his lovely manners. I have gone through a period of thinking that he's "too much horse" for me but although sensitive he's very safe. Just had an awesome lesson on him and he got quite "hot" but now it makes me smile and I'm beginning to love the power as I'm learning to work with it rather than get worried. So pleased I bought him!

Visit site
When the owner of my regular school horse was leaving our yard, and thanks to falling out with the YO, had no intention of selling my girl to the yard. I was so horrified when I saw the advert that I more or less instantly messaged her to say nooooo, sell her to me! I had planned on at least another year or two of lessons and livery before buying any horse, but the principle of you never know what you've got until it's (almost) gone worked here. No regrets :)

w1bbler

Visit site
Was at a riding stable. Kept being put on this abnoxious, opinionated mare, never seemed to be anything else available for me to ride 😉 although I really hated her. After a few weeks I started trying to work her out, so I could work with her rather than against.
6 months later I bought her.

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
As we have lots of horses come and go I aren't supposed to get too attached. I knew from the second I saw Gracie advertised I just loved her though and she has just kept pleasing me since :)

Pigeon

Visit site
For Pip I think I had decided before I saw him. :p I knew I wanted a little bay thoroughbred! And as soon as I saw his beaky little face I wanted him. I wouldn't say we clicked straight away - he took about 6 months to come out of his shell!!

For Theo I thought he was far too good for us. Too sharp etc. But literally as soon as I was on board, before I even walked away from mounting block, I knew he was completely safe. :D Best buy ever!!

I always go and view anything vaguely relevant - temperament is everything and I would compromise on most other factors if it had the right personality.

SpringArising

Visit site
I've had lots of horses who were 'The One' - for different things. In the same way that I don't think there's just one person out there for everyone, I don't think there's just one horse out there for each of us either. There's a million horses with different quirks and qualities and if I waited for 'the feeling' before buying, I'd never buy anything. I struggle with this notion of people trying to find 'The One', and thinking that horses 'love us' - it's too sickly and anthropomorphic for me. I'm happy to accept that any my horses probably don't give a stuff who they're looked after by as long as they have company and get fed!

I think once you've had a few and you know your own abilities, you don't go after that feeling of 'the one', but rather 'the one who is sound and seems an alright sort'. My favourite horse that I had was the only one who I bought without viewing.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I know it goes against all the sensible horse buying rules but I knew the second I saw his photo on the advert! He was completely not what I was supoosed to be looking for but I couldnt get him off my mind. Basically as long as he didnt do anything disasterous during the viewing I was fairly certain I wanted him.

pixie27

Visit site
What lovely stories :)

I'm horse hunting at the mo, but pretty much fall in love with every horse I sit on :eek: so trying to see if I'll have a huge AHA moment, or if it's a box ticking/love to ride it kinda thing.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We have always said that ours have all chosen us :) Of the current four, the Older Appy was the second my backside hit the saddle, she filled up like a balloon and then went like a dream, the younger appy was standing on the yard, tied up with a hay net, when I walked up to her she wiffled my ear with her nose, in just the same way as my late Old Appy used to do, unless she had been dog lame she was coming home :) Sis's draught mare let us know that she wanted to come with us, when I got off her in the school, I for some reason, left her standing there and she walked over to Sis who was standing at the fence side, about 2 meters from the then owner, that absolutely meant that she was coming to us :)

Lintel

Visit site
I don't think I ever KNEW he was the one... He was supposed to sold once broken in and matured.

But he's grow to be the one! He still gets threatened with being sold but I don't think I could now, he really is my one in a million, no horse could ever come close to how much I love him!

ponies4ever

Visit site
I knew I liked mine the moment I saw her but I could take her or leave her for the first 6 or 7 months. After that though I just trusted her completely and now couldn't be without her despite her "quirks".