The Perfect 3.5t Horsebox

HappyDayz

Visit site
We are having a3.5t built and would like some suggestions. We only travel one horse so payload not really an issue. We have already decided on the breakaway breastbar, luton storage, external tack lockers, extra wide back door for emergencies, but wondered what people would change/add to their box to make life easier. From the littlest things to complete revamps. These can be safety things to vanity ;) i know as soon as we get it home it will be "i wish we had this put on the other side!"

Abacus

Visit site
They seem to be more standard now but I would add really solid high breast bar to discourage thoughts of going over. If you are having a partition put in I would get a three-quarter height one and make it good and solid with a thick rubber curtain to the floor (I have seen some with just a bar). Wide ramp, some look a bit narrow and uninviting. Make sure the horse area is as long as possible bum to chest, and plenty of room for the head in the back.

I'm torn on whether to separate the horse head area which helps to keep the groom bit free of hay, but tend to give the horse less room. Personally I'll put up with stuff covered with hay to give him plenty of length for head and neck.

You can't have enough hooks, racks, shelves, chests.... make plenty of storage where things can't slip about. Space for first aid kit, grooming kit, show stuff.

i have always wanted (and have no idea why I have never seen them) combination locks rather than key locks on all the doors and lockers except the main van door. This way you can lock everything away at a show without needing to carry your keys. If you are worried about what happens if you get hurt, write the combination on your number or on a bit of paper in your pocket. Please do this and let me know if it works well!

Have fun, how exciting.

HappyDayz

Visit site
They seem to be more standard now but I would add really solid high breast bar to discourage thoughts of going over.

You can't have enough hooks, racks, shelves, chests.... make plenty of storage where things can't slip about. Space for first aid kit, grooming kit, show stuff.

i have always wanted (and have no idea why I have never seen them) combination locks rather than key locks on all the doors and lockers except the main van door. This way you can lock everything away at a show without needing to carry your keys. If you are worried about what happens if you get hurt, write the combination on your number or on a bit of paper in your pocket. Please do this and let me know if it works well!

Already having an "extra" high breast bar put in so fingers crossed with that bit.
Asked for tie rings everywhere so things can be secrued by them in the back.

Theres an external tack locker so my thinking is if i put all my keys in that then when im ready i can lock that and just take the one little key with me instead of all of them and the whole lorry is locked? My worry would be that they only have to guess one combination lock and thry could get into everything, tack, grooms bit, luton storage :/

Any other ideas?

be positive

Visit site
Having used a couple of different ones last year I would say make the partition completely moveable, so you can give the horse more room if required, that you can swing it across yet still secure it so you can tack up or plait inside, it was pretty tight in one, luckily the horse was good and could be worked on with the partition open. Having a window so you can see the horse, or the passenger can, is reassuring if you dont put in a camera.
One box had a completely separate horse and tack area, that kept the hay out of everything, it will add to the weight but if traveling just one should make little difference but was great as rugs etc did not get covered if left for a while not put in the lockers, also good when it rained to get things out ready but not near the horse to get damaged.

Abacus

Visit site
Having used a couple of different ones last year I would say make the partition completely moveable, so you can give the horse more room if required, that you can swing it across yet still secure it so you can tack up or plait inside, it was pretty tight in one, luckily the horse was good and could be worked on with the partition open. Having a window so you can see the horse, or the passenger can, is reassuring if you dont put in a camera.
One box had a completely separate horse and tack area, that kept the hay out of everything, it will add to the weight but if traveling just one should make little difference but was great as rugs etc did not get covered if left for a while not put in the lockers, also good when it rained to get things out ready but not near the horse to get damaged.

I think the completely moveable partition is a great idea. Mine can be pushed flat against the back wall so I don't have to take it out to have the whole space for one horse.

On the separate horse bit though my friend has one of these and her horses head doesn't have much space. Having tried both, I will settle for my things covered in hay! I do use a hay bag which helps to keep it a bit more contained. Actually that's not a bad idea... some sort of built in 'solid' haynet or rack where they don't drop as much?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
One of the most important things is to have a heavily strengthend bulkhead between the horse section & the cab. Most horses are carried rear facing in 3.5 tonners & you don't want any kicking by the horse to cause issues for the driver.

Abacus

Visit site
I was told that the reinforced bulkhead was a myth because all 3.5 tonne vans have a bulkhead designed to withstand heavy goods etc flying forward in an accident. For safety standard they have to cope with the total payload of the basic van flying against the bulkhead. That said it wouldn't harm...

ihatework

Visit site
Dumb question of the century ...

Why are all these 3.5T being built for horses travelling backwards?

I know a number of years ago 'research' said they prefer travelling backwards, but I have to say that hasn't really been my experience.

eggs

Visit site
Apart from what has already been mentioned I would also want good ventilation and lighting in the horse area.

In answer to ihw - I've also read that horses travel better facing backwards but given the number of stories you hear of horses going over the breast bar I am starting to doubt it.

Abacus

Visit site
I'm not sure the going over thing is because they are travelling backwards - more because they see a way out, are stressed for whatever reason, and the breast bar is too low to discourage it. Might happen forwards too if they could see their way out in the same way. The only ones I have heard of have done it while stationary and not when moving.

I can't compare backwards and forwards but to me it makes sense that they can brace themselves better either forwards or backwards than they can sideways. They haven't got a lot of sideways flexibility but forwards or backwards they can use their joints better to keep their balance. Probably backwards is better because if you do have to brake they would use their hocks, and you never accelerate hard anyway.

Bills

Visit site
Mine travel backwards in my box perfectly fine. I don't have a breast bar though as my 'living' is directly behind the cab and the horse goes on the back so it is completely separate. No worries about getting everything covered in hay!

I say 'living' it isn't really it is just somewhere to get changed and put your tack etc... But I echo what others have said plenty of hooks for hanging things on. I also keep a broom and muck scoop in mine and a spare rainsheet for the horse. Baler twine, scissors, towels and first aid kit are a must too.

CIJ

Visit site
I would 2nd the idea of lots of ventilation/windows in the horse area, even with one horse in on a hot day it will get warm in there.
I would have the external tack locker on the same side as the ramp as with only one horse I always tack up/put boots on etc in the lorry so getting the tack is easier to get to.
I love having a separate back area for grooms stuff and my big horse still has enough room in the horse area for her head, if you don't want that then get a cupboard so you can store showjackets out of hays reach :)

Dazed'n'confused

Visit site
I would say have a look around at different designs & think again about having a separate grooms area. The only reason I say this is that it is a lot safer if they can't see a way out - speaking from experience & the experiences of friends. The more modern designs seem to have plenty of room. A collapsable breast bar is best - my bar was as high as you could get it & my mare still jumped over in tantrum. Luckily she managed to put her feet on the seat & get back but I've no idea how as there were hoof indentations down my jockey door at the back.
Extra wide back door is also a must (same for the door or panal that separates the horse from the grooms area).
I currently have tack lockers in mine - horse that has previously travelled in all manner of transport now thinks it's funny to climb on them to try & escape, all because she doesn't want to leave her new pony friend.... Tack lockers will have to come out!!!
A partition that's totally moveable is a great idea (make sure you can move the pin at the back & front). Also make it as high as possible at the front so they don't go over.
A friend solved her jumping out problem by having weaving grills put in. She absolutely hates them however, as if you're in the horse part you can hardly reach through to tie up, putting a bridle on is nearly impossible & the mare doesn't actually travel well as I think she feels trapped. Another friend (who actually build a well known make of horseboxes) admits that when they do photo shoots with her horses, they have real trouble with one of them as once he has his head in the grill he can't figure out how to get it back out!!!
Also, check that the whole frame of the horse part has a proper frame so if the worst happens the box remains solid & doesn't fold like a cornflake box.... :/
I like a camera so I can see what they're doing as sometimes when I feel them move it feels worse than it looks!! :)
Hope that helps a bit!

cavalo branco

Visit site
Not a lot more to add to good suggestions here except that I put an old sheet on the floor under the haynet so that I can just scoop it up when I get home, helps a bit. Also I keep a plastic box with a lid that stores hat, gloves, BP, whip etc in the back (I travel alone usually) so that everything is grabable, hay free and in the dry. I have a cupboard with racks for tack and a rail for jackets in the back as well.
My boy has never tried to jump out but I have a very high solid chest bar and I keep the back door shut when he's loaded so he doesn't think of it. To be honest he's far too keen on eating!!!

H_A_C

Visit site
I have a 3.5 tonne van type conversation and my horse travels like a dream i have a shoulder height solid wall between the horse and grooms area. my friend has a collapse able extra high bar and I don't really like it my horse has much more room than hers. So i would go shoulder height and if you think its likely to jump over use anti weeve grills.

Luckily nothing I have ever had in my box has thought about jumping over and all have travelled brilliantly.

Ps when i say shoulder height i mean top of so his neck can easily reach over for food..
Oh and plenty of windows

Last edited: