The pony quest continues - short tail eaten by a foal?! Hair Extenions?

lj0429

Visit site
So looking for a lovely well built, good temperament, registered pony for m&m lead rein showing. The latest candidate may be all those with a shorten tail due to a foal eating it.

It does appear to be off the length. It is pretty much right up to the hock.

So anyone else experienced a tail chewed ?

Thanks

Attachments

• B5B29B2A-9937-4F19-8753-4DBC1BE51AE4.jpeg
    B5B29B2A-9937-4F19-8753-4DBC1BE51AE4.jpeg
    941.7 KB · Views: 67
Visit site
Yeah that looks chewed. It will grow back. If I wanted to show now I would neaten the edges. It looks plenty thick enough so feathering it like a Welsh D's - but not taking any length off - would probably be the way to go. Keep on top of it for the rest of summer - neaten but not shorten - and leave it to grow through the winter and you will be grand.

lj0429

Visit site
Yeah that looks chewed. It will grow back. If I wanted to show now I would neaten the edges. It looks plenty thick enough so feathering it like a Welsh D's - but not taking any length off - would probably be the way to go. Keep on top of it for the rest of summer - neaten but not shorten - and leave it to grow through the winter and you will be grand.

Thanks EKW, that’s good to hear : )

Leo Walker

Visit site
Is that a new thing? It was a while ago now but I worked for one of the top producers in the country and he used them on a semi regular basis

Visit site
Yeah no additions to M&M's - they should be left natural 😂😂😂 except for the Welsh, Connies and New Forests who get pulled, plucked and preened to within an inch of their lives 😂😂😂

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yeah no additions to M&M's - they should be left natural 😂😂😂 except for the Welsh, Connies and New Forests who get pulled, plucked and preened to within an inch of their lives 😂😂😂
This.
Anyone caught (now in the regs of at least 2 breed society's in their rules for showing) will forfeit any place, money, and will have membership terminated immediately!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
That are completely against all showing and breed societies rules - except for at HOYS where they have their own rules ;) Your false tail can fall out in the ring and the steward parade around with it on their heads for all they care ;)
The one at HOYS had their membership revoked and are banned from showing now, at least for this year.

WelshD

Visit site
To be honest it's becoming increasingly common to see sec A ponies with a shortened thinned tail so I wouldn't panic too much about it as long as you can rule out health issues

It will be long again in no time

If you want to consider extensions there are discreet people out there who make a business of doing this properly, you literally would not know their work from the original hair

honetpot

Visit site
I have seen a lot worse. I had one that in the three years that we owned him the hair on the end of his dock hardly grew at all, it was like wispy beard on a blokes chin.
It probabely look worse that it is because it;s so bushy. I would just wash and put loads of conditioner on it to see if it will drop at bit. Then you could thin the underneth to stop it bushing out, but in a couple of months it will past his hocks.