The Pressure.....

_OC_

Visit site
......Right gonna throw all my toys out of my pram.....Rant....Rant.....Rant....Stamp.....and shout. Why do I feel I need to feel that I should have to wear a dam body protector....keep cob on livery at a BHS riding centre....and all I get is you should wear one, I have ridden for 40 years without.....and some years ago wore one that I purchased....right so I felt my top bits had been crushed(Before any one says a word it was professionally fitted)into my ribs....it was dutifully used....thrown from horse....ended up at A & E....told caused me more damage due to heavy bruising from a medical person....so nope I have no desire to go out and spend £150 plus on another.....I have no desire to compete in jumping done all that.....Or am I wrong to think like that.....:(

PS-Feel the pressure to buy one.....hence why I am so peeved off!!!!

Charlie007

Visit site
I won't advise you to wear one as it's not my place to say but I NEVER ride without my hit air jacket. I compete and school, and jump in it. It saved me from a very nasty fall a few weeks ago so im afraid I'm in the wear it camp.

Popos

Visit site
Everyone will always have an opinion on something you are doing, I've given up worrying and make the decision that feels right for me! Personally I always wear one for jumping and usually when I hack, but not always. I never wear it for dressage. It's a personal choice.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
To be honest, if they were upsetting me that much that I was no longer relaxed and enjoying my riding I would move the horse to a less dogmatic yard.

I do wear a BP for XC, and a back only version (no cramped body) sometimes for SJ, but I would get a bit tired of being told the same thing over and over.....

ETA - If you would like to comply, have a look at the Dainese little body protector. It is not up to level 3, so can't XC in it, but I have worn one and they are like wearing a gilet in comfort levels.

http://www.treehouseonline.co.uk/product_list/145

Extra Edit... This is similar to what I wear when SJ training. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forcefiel...595073?hash=item43f2940281:g:J1UAAOSwuhhXXrnN It is not tested to any particular level.

Last edited:

Sukistokes2

Visit site
If you are an adult ( display of temper aside ;) ) then it simply your choice. I'm with Charlie I ride in my point two air jacket. Funnily enough I had to ride without today because it's being serviced and my instructor was saying how much better the air jacket allowed me to sit over the BP I used to use. I would not go back unless I took up jumping and then I would wear both. I think you need to simply tell them to shut up or learn to totally ignore.

be positive

Visit site
I will admit to not even owning one, I have backed numerous horses over the years and would not have wanted to feel restricted by wearing one, I no longer back or jump and feel perfectly happy to ride any horse without one, my liveries all have one as they do jump competitively but rarely wear them at home, as long as they always wear a hat I am more than happy for everyone to make their own choices.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
It's not up to them to tell you what to do so I would tell them where to go.

That said after a terrible fall nearly 4 months ago where I broke multiple ribs falling off my extremely safe 14.2 cob onto a rubber and sand surface, I won't ride without my hit air jacket now!

Going xc schooling this week and I will be wearing both it and my BP and holding the neck strap and probably crying (!).

My daughter always wears her BP, she falls off all the time and I feel safer that she has it on.

BSL

Visit site
All about personnel choice. However, if ever I am in A + E, they are never going to say "Oh, if only she had worn a back protector".

Farcical1

Visit site
I always wear a BP, ostensibly to guard me from injury.

Mostly it's to keep my boobs under control though.....

Each to their own. Tell the naggers to b****r off.

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
You're an adult so it's your choice. Personally I've never owned or ridden in one, and have always prioritised having a good hat and spent the funds on that. I doubt I'd find a protector that my boobs would squash into and if I did I doubt I'd be able to breathe!

CMcC

Visit site
I didn't wear a body protector for years after buying one about 20 years ago and feeling like I was riding wearing a sandwich board, then earlier this year had a fall and broke my wrist (I realise a body protector wouldn't have stopped that happening), when recovered I was going away with a realitively new pony for a few days riding in unfamiliar place and had a confidence crisis. I bought myself a body protector thinking I would hate it and actually love it. I always ride new pony in it, always wear it hacking but not on "old" pony in school, then the other day jumped off new pony straight on to "old" pony and kept it on actually found I rode better in it as it keeps my back nice and straight - can't slouch! But agree it is totally your decision whether you wear one or not, but I think designs have improved over the years.

dozzie

Visit site
I dont wear one either. except for xc. ...I have one that caused more damage in a fall in the sane way you describe. I fell on a sift surface and the BP caused sacroiliac bruising and damage to the sciatic nerve. So I agree with you if you dont jump and have a safe horse (ok all horses have their moments) but I wouldnt feel pressurised. I think the air ones are different though. I think we are of a generation that didnt feel undressed without one. In the same way that when we were younger the older generation didn't wear hats and if they did they certainly didnt wear a chin strap.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have an air jacket. I think that is a good compromise for me. I dont know I'm wearing it, but it should protect me a bit if there is an incident. I only very lightly hack so have a high vis one so its dual purpose :)

skint1

Visit site
If I go on a longer hack I wear a body protector i feel like it is quite restrictive and possibly not as protective as I think it is, it is mostly to control the boobage. I really want this baby
http://www.treehouseairjackets.co.uk/the_blouson_air_jacket_by_helite_gilet_style_ou

oh sorry forgot to answer OP- you shouldn't have to feel you need to wear one if you don't want to, especially as you are very expererienced rider

Last edited:

EventingMum

Visit site
It shouldn't be anything to do with the fact it's a BHS approved yard - I own and run one and only insist on body protectors for xc. Hats and correct footwear are non negotiable, you don't get on a horse without them but body protectors are down to personal choice.

Theocat

Visit site
Totally your choice.

I came off and broke my back in February, and won't now get on without a BP, but the fit is vital - I spent literally hours over several visits and several special orders finding one that fit properly, and I barely notice mine - but they MUST fit. I wasn't wearing one when I broke my back because it was too long, so I completely see why people don't like them, and it's totally up to you - but they don't have to be uncomfortable and restrictive.

Bessi

Visit site
Tell them in politest terms to bog off and its your choice.

I have one, I only wear it for XC, I feel I ride better without it and am therefore less likely to come off. I hack, school and jump without it - that is my personal choice, we all have a choice about what we do!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I came off and broke my back in February, and won't now get on without a BP,

I had a catostrophic spinal injury roughly 3 years ago. My consultants were all adamant that it would have happened even if I had been wearing a body protector. They saw a lot of spinal injuries from horse riders, they said they were good for crush type injuries and for protecting organs, but most horse related spinal injuries wouldnt have been prevented as they were usually down to the force of impact travelling back up the spine and causing it to fracture etc (lay mans terms there!) They said they saw a lot of people with very similar injuries to me. Sadly if you hit the ground hard enough in the wrong way nothing really is going to help as that force is going to damage something.

I dont know if they were right or not in all cases, but in mine they clearly were. They were very keen on air jackets though, although again that probably wouldn't have prevented my injury

Theocat

Visit site
I had a catostrophic spinal injury roughly 3 years ago. My consultants were all adamant that it would have happened even if I had been wearing a body protector. They saw a lot of spinal injuries from horse riders, they said they were good for crush type injuries and for protecting organs, but most horse related spinal injuries wouldnt have been prevented as they were usually down to the force of impact travelling back up the spine and causing it to fracture etc (lay mans terms there!) They said they saw a lot of people with very similar injuries to me. Sadly if you hit the ground hard enough in the wrong way nothing really is going to help as that force is going to damage something.

I dont know if they were right or not in all cases, but in mine they clearly were. They were very keen on air jackets though, although again that probably wouldn't have prevented my injury

Yes, I know they won't prevent everything - but having had falls with and without them, I know which I prefer - it doesn't remove the risk, but I have no doubt it mitigates it. An air jacket feels like overkill, for trotting in circles around an arena - but as that's exactly where I got broken, I should really rethink my logic at some stage! )

Equi

Visit site
I've never worn one and unlikely to. Nothing against them but I would never get one to fit my boobs without spending a fortune and I don't have it. I'm all for safety and if you can find one that fits properly it's worth it but I never will.

Zipzop

Visit site
Im ok in my racesafe....I don't really have any boobs to speak of so it's just like wearing a padded gilet lol

Goldenstar

Visit site
Totally your choice.

I came off and broke my back in February, and won't now get on without a BP, but the fit is vital - I spent literally hours over several visits and several special orders finding one that fit properly, and I barely notice mine - but they MUST fit. I wasn't wearing one when I broke my back because it was too long, so I completely see why people don't like them, and it's totally up to you - but they don't have to be uncomfortable and restrictive.

I was wearing mine and when I broke my back .
I loath them and only wear one when forced .
I do however have an air jacket I bought when H was a naughty broncy baby it worked a treat he's never bucked since I bought it .

rachk89

Visit site
Just don't get one if you don't want to. They can't force you. I don'twear mine even though I have one. It fits I just don't like to wear it. Will have to get used to it though again as I am taking the horse to do cross country and they obviously insist you wear one.

fatpiggy

Visit site
Let's get one thing straight - they ARE NOT back protectors. They are body protectors and are meant to reduce the injuries caused by kicks and trampling - the most likely thing to happen to a jockey which is the market they were originally intended for. I had to have one for RC jumping classes and it was professionally fitted. I could hardly breathe and it made me so hot that I was more likely to pass out from the heat build up than just fall off my horse. Even the slatted design ones do not allow you to roll up properly. I've never used one of these inflating jackets so can't comment on them but they do seem more suitable for falls and general riding.

View

Visit site
OP, you are an adult and understand the risks you take every time you get on a horse - so your choice.

My choice is that I will normally school on the flat and hack without it, but I will never jump or go cross country without it.

However, I do consider the horse that I am riding - and if one of my regular mounts is in a daft mood, then the BP goes on as I don't fancy my chances if I meet a tree trunk without it. But my choice.

LHIS

Visit site
You're an adult and can make your own decisions. But if it's peeing you off this much, maybe consider a move to a yard where you are left to your own devices?
I do ride in one, but I'm a recovering loss of confidence rider and it makes me feel better. I never used to wear one before. An air jacket might be a compromise, but an expensive compromise.