The price of horse feed

Visit site
Along with the price of everything increasing so is horse feed. In 2 months a sack of own brand conditioning cubes has gone up £2.25. Same with their Veteran mix. I buy a bag of speedibeat every other month. I got some today at a lovely price tag of £16.99. When did that become so expensive!?!

Apart from Alfa A everything I usually buy either weekly monthly has gone up at least £2 in the last few months. The youngstock mix has gone up £4.

Dare I ask what anyone else is paying!?

Peglo

Visit site
I knew the prices had gone up as I order in the horse feed at work but TBH I just try not to look at it! Casually burying my head in the sand. We have extra delivery charge too being on an island.

the prices of everything has gone up in the store and our shop but still no word of a pay rise. ?

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'm lucky in that I can buy from here and their prices tend to be lower than others.
https://www.gjwtitmussltd.co.uk/c/4554/horse-feed

However seen some steep rises, Charnwood linseed gone up £5 a bag, Emerald Green Grasstastic up £2 the last time I bought and Agrobs Musli and Grunhafer too but that coincided with swapping to buying it from Titmuss rather than the distributor

Snowfilly

Visit site
It’s all gone up, not just the horse feed. Oats from 4.50 a bag in January to £7.75 today and conditioning cubes for the veteran have doubled.

I sold the last of the poultry yesterday as their feed has gone up 50% in three months and I can’t afford them to feed them anymore. Basically had to give the chickens away as everyone’s in the same boat.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I'm lucky in that I can buy from here and their prices tend to be lower than others.
https://www.gjwtitmussltd.co.uk/c/4554/horse-feed

However seen some steep rises, Charnwood linseed gone up £5 a bag, Emerald Green Grasstastic up £2 the last time I bought and Agrobs Musli and Grunhafer too but that coincided with swapping to buying it from Titmuss rather than the distributor

Where I am (Surrey) Charnwood linseed went up to £29 a bag, owing to supply issues, but is now back down to £22.97 a bag.

Patterdale

Visit site
It wouldn’t suit everyone but last winter I did an experiment, where I stopped all hard feed in favour of lick buckets (I used Dallas Keith after extensive research) and swapped haylage to ad-lib.
Everything came out of winter looking good, none of them fat, a couple of youngsters thin (but good once the grass came through).
The horses ranged from my in-work horse to pony club ponies and several youngsters.

I literally saved hundreds and I won’t ever go back to compound feeds. I just bought honeychop so they had a handful with carrots to get them all in one place once a day.

Worth a thought!

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Mine are now on HoneyChop because it’s summer and on a handful a day it goes a long way. They also get a slice of meadow hay each twice a day as they are on the track but they supplement with hedgerow grazing. My biggest outlay is cat food for three elderly felines with dietary needs. Upwards of £36 a week ? the chickens get through a sack a month but they do get fresh fruit and veg along with their mash.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
It wouldn’t suit everyone but last winter I did an experiment, where I stopped all hard feed in favour of lick buckets (I used Dallas Keith after extensive research) and swapped haylage to ad-lib.
Everything came out of winter looking good, none of them fat, a couple of youngsters thin (but good once the grass came through).
The horses ranged from my in-work horse to pony club ponies and several youngsters.

I literally saved hundreds and I won’t ever go back to compound feeds. I just bought honeychop so they had a handful with carrots to get them all in one place once a day.

Worth a thought!

I've always allowed ad lib forage but mine needs extra help in the winter especially a source of protein. I bulk up everything with the Grasstastic which is comparatively cheap for calories but he's fussy so gets things to make him eat.

Unmolassed beet or oats are also my go to for adding calories but he won't eat those.

Visit site

Worth a thought!

Mine are all natives so I'm really not sure why I am still feeding them ?? habit I suppose. I no longer have a tb ? I'm not actually going to say what I feed them all in ?? but once this batch of food is done I might just go back to chaff and barley with the 30yo getting some veteran mix. I would love to swop to sugarbeat but the EMS mare would die after sniffing it let alone eating it.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Basically everything has gone up by at least 3€ but generally more toward 5€

My horses main Müsli went up 7€

Surprisingly Rapestraw pellets (bedding) have only gone up 0.40€ which sort of baffles me because I thought all bedding would just skyrocket. Wood shavings have gone up 3€ and are over 10€ for 20kg, Flax Straw has also increased by 3€. Wheat straw pellets have gone up 0.20€

Hay is still affordable and not gone up too much if you purchase leftovers from last year. I browsed around on the classifieds a bit and this year's priced aren't too bad, surprisingly.

PurBee

Visit site
I bought some bagged haylage, similar price to all others, except the bags are now 10kg, not 20kg as advertised -so a 50% hike in price, making the tonne price an unbelievable 700 euro!

Horseysheepy

Visit site
Everything's gone up. Price of fertilizer has rocketed, so it'll have a knock on effect on feed prices. Our sheep cake and creep has really gone up!
Horse feed, not quite as much but enough to notice it.

Reactions: TPO

Backtoblack

Visit site
The media report today that petrol is nearing£2 a litre. This will put prices up as everything moves around on lorries. Everything will go up in price including hay and bedding

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com

Worth a thought!

This is interesting! Presumably the lick buckets stay out full time? Do you know roughly how long each one lasts you please?

Ours are all retired/out of work and live out 24/7 on poor grazing with good quality hay twice a day, but we started feeding a balancer when one presented with a Vit B deficiency. None of them really need a bucket feed but of course my Mum adds some chaff and carrots and whatever else since she is a soft touch. I am wondering if we didn't ought to get a lick bucket and be done with it.

Patterdale

Visit site
This is interesting! Presumably the lick buckets stay out full time? Do you know roughly how long each one lasts you please?

Yes they’re out all the time. There are lots of different brands and some are basically just sweeties and get finished in a day. I did a LOT of research and I think the Dallas Keith ones are the best. They last 4 horses 3-6 weeks depending on the time of year and they cost about £27 each.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I stocked up at my usual place last week as I knew their prices were going up.
My two local feed stores have huge variations in price! One is over £10 more expensive for Top Spec senior! I'm happy to travel that little bit further to save as much as that!

spacefaer

Visit site
My Equerry mash has gone up but only by about a pound. For the last couple of years, Equerry have a special offer of £2 off every bag in September/October so I buy several pallets to last me through the winter as it's the only feed I use. Massive saving - I'm hoping they'll do it again this year

Wishfilly

Visit site
The media report today that petrol is nearing£2 a litre. This will put prices up as everything moves around on lorries. Everything will go up in price including hay and bedding

Not just this but also the costs of harvesting the ingredients etc and running the factories that process the food (because energy prices are higher). Even before you get into any supply issues of "raw materials".

To address the OP, I had a look and I think my feeds (own brand chaff and pony nuts) have gone up about £1 each since January BUT the vits/minerals (which are the main reason for giving a feed in summer) I buy have gone up at least £3 per KG. Fortunately a sack of chaff lasts a long time at this time of year!

SEL

Visit site
I've just bought a bad of Kwik beet and winced. Lasts me ages thankfully.

Cat food is ridiculous and never seems to have offers on these days

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site

Worth a thought!

I like the idea of these, do you think they would withstand a youngster that takes great delight in stamping on things and generally bashing it with his feet to knock it over?

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I'm lucky in the only "feed" I'm buying is chaff and the last bag hadn't gone up much, if any. But talking to neighbouring farmer the other week he's spent 10k more buying in less fertiliser than he did last year and from April to May cow cake went up a horrifying 33%.

maisie06

Visit site
Along with the price of everything increasing so is horse feed. In 2 months a sack of own brand conditioning cubes has gone up £2.25. Same with their Veteran mix. I buy a bag of speedibeat every other month. I got some today at a lovely price tag of £16.99. When did that become so expensive!?!

Apart from Alfa A everything I usually buy either weekly monthly has gone up at least £2 in the last few months. The youngstock mix has gone up £4.

Dare I ask what anyone else is paying!?

Thankfully I don't have a horse anymore but I do work in the feed trade...most of my time is now spent in front of the computer changing feed prices, not only horse feed but bird feed, dog food eyc - anything that has a high cereal content has shot up. Unfortunatley some people have been getting nasty, epecially towards some younger members of staff, they have been sworn at and accussed of profiteering, as a manager I am NOT putting up with that and I have actually told one to leave and not come back, thankfully it's a minority, but this one stood and screamed at me "what the f$ck has the war in ukraine got to do with feed you c**ts - That was enough she was told in no uncertain terms to get lost!!!!! Grumpy old men with bird food can be another nasty lot too - I want to say just don't feed the birds lol!!

We are literally getting new price lists emailed every couple of weeks and it's a nightmare double checking invoices now as it's not just 10 or 20p which we could absorb it's pounds sometimes 2 or 3 pounds! I remember when I started in the trade a bag of basic pony nuts was £3,99 now it's just on £10.

Lots of people cutting back too, poultry rearers aren't bothering to hatch this year or are doing far less as the price of both feed and electric has rocketed, people are cutting back on horses too, some not replacing oldies and some selling up as priced out - one thing that is still booming ?? dogs!! No money worries there as toys and treats as popular as ever!

maisie06

Visit site
I knew the prices had gone up as I order in the horse feed at work but TBH I just try not to look at it! Casually burying my head in the sand. We have extra delivery charge too being on an island.

the prices of everything has gone up in the store and our shop but still no word of a pay rise. ?

Prices have gone up but margins have squeezed.... Might be worth pushing though, I pushed my luck and mentioned to our boss that I had been offered more money elewhere - he matched it plus a little bit more!!! really happy!