The price we put on our horses

moneypit1

Visit site
It always amuses me how much we think our horses are worth. Funny though how much we 'under value' other peoples when asked for an opinion. I read a post the other day about someone who couldn't sell their horse and the advice on here was it was not worth the £7k they were asking. But in all honestly would the same people want top dollar for their own horses should they be for sale? I think we all think our horses are worth a lot because THEY ARE - to us! I am as guilty as many others and have learnt over the years that a horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
grin.gif

ISHmad

Visit site
My horses are priceless to me, could never put a price on any of their heads. Which is why I've never sold any, I'm too blooming soft.

But you're right, a horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay. And in the current climate people aren't looking to pay over the odds.

minesadouble

Visit site
Totally agree. Also I have been a little taken aback on occasions at how high a popular forum member's horse has been valued by some other members, on the other hand if a 'less popular' forum member asks 'how much?' there sometimes is a rather more harsh valuation!!!

niagaraduval

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Totally agree. Also I have been a little taken aback on occasions at how high a popular forum member's horse has been valued by some other members, on the other hand if a 'less popular' forum member asks 'how much?' there sometimes is a rather more harsh valuation!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree!

Parkranger

Visit site
Funny as I always underprice mine - I think Ty is probably worth about £1000 with full tack and Oscar about £4500 with tack, although I've been told i could get £6000 for Oscar. I don't get overpricing!

KatB

Visit site
Lol! The valuations on here are always quite conservative.
smile.gif
I have posted details of 3 horses which have all been sold for significantly more than valued on here
smile.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
I would not part with Jake for anything, love nor money.

He is not worth anything financially, but he is worth the world to me.

I think the recession reflects on the price of everything currently.

dozzie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Lol! The valuations on here are always quite conservative. I have posted details of 3 horses which have all been sold for significantly more than valued on here ......

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree totally.

quirky

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
a horse is worth only what someone will pay!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd quite merrily give mine away .... but nobody seems to want him
frown.gif

Weezy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is utter bollox, sorry! Horses are valued regardless of who is doing the asking - you may want to think about the fact that more known horses will be able to be valued more effectively than those who give 4 lines of explanation about their horse!

Moneypit, I don't quite understand what schools and popularity has to do with valuing horses
confused.gif
It is very correct to say a horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, popular or not!

Maisy

Visit site
If *anyone* is selling a horse (house/car....) of course they want top whack for it..........who wouldnt!!??

.....but it follows that if it wont sell, there is either something wrong with it, or it is too expensive........

MagicMelon

Visit site
It is hard though TBH. Im vaguelly thinking about selling 2 of mine (dont know if I can though as love them both to pieces) but have just vaguelly based their prices on comparing to others who have the same sort of winnings, same sort of age etc. But TBH for my main horse other horses who match what he's done etc. range from about £8k-£25k! Its rather ridiculous and can be very difficult to work out!

Rachel_M

Visit site
People say that they have sold their horses for more than what the forum priced them- Well, good for you.
smile.gif
For every 10 people who value that horse at XXXX, there is going to be at least one mug
tongue.gif
who will pay more than the horse is worth market wise because, and this what the whole market bases itself on, it is the perfect horse for that person and they are willing to spend that type of money for the horse.

I know it is irritatingly ambiguous but the true valuation of a horse is "A horse is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it".

So whack that horse on the market at top dollar and, if it sells at that price, count yourself lucky that you have either priced correctly or there is someone out there who really wants your horse. Nothing wrong with either
smile.gif
Then the ones that don't sell have to face up to the fact that if no one is biting there is often a reason. Sort out the photos, tidy up the descriptions, and then look at the most obvious fact- Your horse may be priceless to you but, to most people, it is just another horse that they want to make sure that they get value for money with and have no reason to pay over the odds for it.

EDITED TO SAY

Utter tosh about pricing being different for forum members!

Puppy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
EDITED TO SAY

Utter tosh about pricing being different for forum members!

[/ QUOTE ]

Baaaa!
grin.gif

Weezy

Visit site
Yeah right!!

What is this *them and us* attitude
confused.gif
I have asked about my horses values on here before and got what were IMO low valuations, so for sure I have no idea where you are coming from!

L

lilym

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how right you are!!

bungalowpickle

Visit site
I think that was my horse you are talking about and i totally agree with you, i carefully checked other horses that seemed about the same as mine and priced accordingly. I think things would be easier if there weren't bloody time wasters out there. I've got 4 people interested now so who knows watch this space. Thanks for the support. Oh and by the way to me he's worth millions!!!!!!