The Queen's 90th birthday

only_me

Visit site
Is anyone watching?
I'm in awe - household calverys from all over world atm & amazing displays from the horses. I shouldn't be watching as exams but I can't take my eyes off screen!

It's amazing :D

Princess16

Visit site
Sorry I cross posted with my thread!

Wow those acrobatics were amazing - their core strength is unbelievable!

What did you think of horse whisperer?

Jazzy B

Visit site
Loving it!!! The Queen wanted a party of her favourite thing! Ponies!! 100 for every decade!

I fear the hat police might be out though having just watched those folks throwing themselves underneath horses and back the other side with no hats on!! 🙊🙊

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Loving the horses....... BUT why oh why as soon as you begin to watch something, the camera-shot pans away to either the singer OR goes into distant mode.

I'm loving the show but finding the ITV coverage (and intervals) intensely annoying. Think that the camera angles needed to be sorted well beforehand, either the performers are too close up, OR way to far away with the camera high up somewhere over the arena, or (making me irate) keep on panning in and out all the time.

Why didn't BBC cover it? ITV coverage and camera-work is frankly AWFUL, lets the show down IMO. Doing my head (and eyes) in.

sav123

Visit site
Sorry I cross posted with my thread!

Wow those acrobatics were amazing - their core strength is unbelievable!

What did you think of horse whisperer?

If you mean Jean Francois Pignon, then not very much tbh. He doesn't seem to have any wow factor these days. At Olympia last year he spent most of the performance getting them all to lie down. Personally I'd have preferred to have seen Lorenzo as the French representative....

only_me

Visit site
Lol, it's ok, Martin clunes is there - as head of bhs I'm sure he will be having a welfare talk about the shetland :p

teapot

Visit site
Can't say I'm particularly enjoying it, it's awfully similiar to the Jubilee one in 2012, right down to the displays.

Elbie

Visit site
If you mean Jean Francois Pignon, then not very much tbh. He doesn't seem to have any wow factor these days. At Olympia last year he spent most of the performance getting them all to lie down. Personally I'd have preferred to have seen Lorenzo as the French representative....

Do you know what I wasn't particularly bothered to watch his bit as everytime I've seen him he has done the same thing. And like you say at olympia he spent most the time just making them lie down. Don't get me wrong the act is impressive but once you've seen the same act several times it loses its impact.

BUT I have never seen him make horses circle him while the chub pony goes opposite direction. I was slightly impressed with that.

And agree with other poster re filming the singers when horses are doing stuff and the ad breaks. I've gone to bed early and am recording it so I can FF the ads!

RaposadeGengibre

Visit site

Same here. I looked him up before Olympia and was quite exited to see him but his repertoire had been.... well nothing special.

I quite liked horses glloping sideways - Chile?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
I have to say though, after a superb day at Chatsworth watching top class event horses and now this I'm having a "wow, aren't horses just truly amazing things" moment.

only_me

Visit site
I have to say though, after a superb day at Chatsworth watching top class event horses and now this I'm having a "wow, aren't horses just truly amazing things" moment.

Same - apart from the chatsworth bit!

What I'm really enjoying is her majesty's expression when watching the displays - she looks so delighted and happy it's contagious :)

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Hah hah gonna try and emulate the Azerbijan (sorry, dunno how to spell it) riders on my traddie-man tomorrow......... liked the bit where the rider went right under the girth and came up the other side. Gotta feeling traddie-man would have his own opinion about that........ :) :) :) :)

On a serious note, it's pretty cold out tonight, hoping Her Majesty will wrap up warm, bless 'er.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I do struggle to enjoy some displays.. The large shanks, unkind hands, flopping and landing on their horses backs... and the side reins on those drum horses! Talk about chin to chest..

There is no denying they are perhaps brilliant horsemen/women, but watching them just isn't my cup of tea.

Feival

Visit site
I love it, the horses from Azerbijan(sp) have been travelling 2 months! I just wish it Clare Balding not dim and dimmer!!

only_me

Visit site
The other nations style of riding may not be what we would prefer, but tonight is about displaying their culture and celebrating the queens birthday. Enjoy it & stop being such misery guts :p

Love how the only animal they have troubling controlling was the goat :p

I'm also hoping there will be a hunt chase in homage to hunting lol

Northern Hare

Visit site
We were fortunate enough to be there last night and Friday night (surprise present from OH) and it really was wonderful - much, much better than I had expected.

Watching it tonight there are quite a few bits test have been edited / shortened, but I guess that's to allow for adverts.

ETA: it was difficult to see it on the tv tonight, but the Canadian Mounted Police display was really great and their horses beautifully schooled.

Last edited:

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
The other nations style of riding may not be what we would prefer, but tonight is about displaying their culture and celebrating the queens birthday. Enjoy it & stop being such misery guts :p

I'm also hoping there will be a hunt chase in homage to hunting lol

I know, they're fab, but makes me squirm. Agree re: the hunt though ha, some how don't think so.

These drums are bloomin' brilliant though, loving the knee high socks :D

hobo

Visit site
I think I have done most of the Azerbijan moves on my difficult young horse though I end up on the floor!

That last parade was lovely never seen Edward on a horse before he looked very good.